Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The roof closes and is latching but I can move it back about an inch or so. Top front of roof at top of winshield is NOT tightly latched. No codes or faults displayed. ??

thanks for any help that I NEED.

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
Roof

I had a simular problem. They said it was the latch also it took 3 mo. looking for the part . Just to find out, Chev. had changed the#, & when they started looking for the right # they found it. I think it was about A week or 2 they had it fixed
Raider Keith:silver::right: Everything works great now.O-ya it was a Fanatic that gave me the new #, on this site.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
By 'latch' do you mean the outer latches that hook into the windshield header ? I had one of them off and was thinking it didn't seem to work as it should.

If you can provide me with a part # - I would appreciate it.

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,561 Posts
If it were only one latch not latching, then the other side should be latching and holding the roof closed on at least that one side.

Since the roof is not latched at all, either the center motor that is responsible for causing both side latches to latch is not turning as expected, or one latch is binding causing the center latching motor to not turn to the fully latched position.

·
Premium Member
9,920 Posts
If it were only one latch not latching, then the other side should be latching and holding the roof closed on at least that one side.

Since the roof is not latched at all, either the center motor that is responsible for causing both side latches to latch is not turning as expected, or one latch is binding causing the center latching motor to not turn to the fully latched position.
Shiftz, if someone released there roof with the manual t-handle, wound they then need to reverse the procedure to reset it for automatic use?

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,561 Posts
Shiftz, if someone released there roof with the manual t-handle, wound they then need to reverse the procedure to reset it for automatic use?
I don't believe the use of the t-handle sets any "state" in the roof latching system, but since I have not performed that operation yet I cannot say for sure if it doesn't.

Based on what I've observed of the center latching assembly (when I had the interior cover off), I would believe there is no need to return it to a latched state using the t-handle.

It certainly can't hurt to use the t-handle to manually latch it to see if it will latch at all. If it does latch using the t-handle, then that would suggest the motor in the center latching assembly has failed.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the latch removed and have taken some pictures of it --not sure how to get them on this site.
This one of the two latches that are mounted in the windshield header. right side & left side.
If I manually latch the roof with the 'T' handle --it still does latch 100% -- I can move the top roof panel back about an inch. I adjusted the control rods that are attached to r & l latches --- NO better. It seems to me that this latch is malfunctioning --or missing something !!!!!

I do not have another latch to compare it to and if someone out there knows these latches --- contact me and I will send you a picture of it.
or tell me how to upload them to this site.

I can believe both of these latches are bad. ??

I was wanting to get this out of the Iowa winter and take it to SoCal for a few months but if I can't resolve this issue - I'll have to ride around on my
skateboard.

[email protected]

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,561 Posts
The front roof latches are part numbers:

15215461 - Right
15215460 - Left and it includes a switch according to the parts listing at gmpartsgiant.com

I have one 15215461 (right) latch. The included pictures are of that latch.

1 = Top side - latched
2 = Top side - unlatched
3 = Bottom side - latched
4 = Bottom side - unlatched

If you can move the center latch with the T tool and it still does not latch the roof, then you either are not getting either side latch into the latched position or the roller that each front roof latch should be hooking itself around is not in the proper position when the front latches go into their fully latched state.

Attachments

·
Registered
28,760 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
shiftz33 --- That's the latch. I CAN NOT get it to the closed position as you have in the photos. The silver colored pin that glides in the slot WILL NOT go to the full closed position. I can get the pin as far as the bend in the slot, It doesn't seem to be binding -it just will not go to full close position.
I will have to order both of these -- hard to believe both have issues.

hOW MUCH FOR YOUR RIGHT LATCH ?

THANK YOU FOR THE PICTURES.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
diaondx,
I’m re-reading your first post and notice that you said you didn’t get any DIC code. I’m wondering if their any issues with either the hydraulic pump, hydraulic hose or simply just low on hydraulic fluid. Have you look into that?

Here some info in our Library that might be helpful:
http://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f50/power-folding-top-description-operation-29004/
It a latch issue -- nothing to do with electrical or hydraulics. The top opens and closes ,just will not latch closed at 100%.

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,561 Posts
shiftz33 --- That's the latch. I CAN NOT get it to the closed position as you have in the photos. The silver colored pin that glides in the slot WILL NOT go to the full closed position. I can get the pin as far as the bend in the slot, It doesn't seem to be binding -it just will not go to full close position.
I will have to order both of these -- hard to believe both have issues.

hOW MUCH FOR YOUR RIGHT LATCH ?

THANK YOU FOR THE PICTURES.
The gmpartsgiant.com website lists the following prices:

15215461 - $117.90
15215460 - $109.33

You might try sending a PM to BYERS or RSSRTOY and see if either one of them could can still get them and at what price.

I'd really like to hold onto my latch as a spare, but if they're no longer available from a GM parts department, I guess I can consider letting this one go.

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,561 Posts
This afternoon I spoke with a chevy parts guy I know in connection with my Camaro car club and he looked up the two part numbers and found that GM has 100+ of both latches in GM warehouses.

He also stated that a few dealerships in the U.S. have one or the other latch on hand.

You should be able to order the latches from "any" Chevy parts department if that is the path you select.

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Not trying to hijack this thread but I have a dumb question.

How do you remove the right/left top latch?

The reason that I'm asking is that I have a rattle in the windshield header that I cannot locate.
Last summer removed the motor and linkages to the latches and I still had the rattle, so by process of elimination the only hope I have is that one of the latches needs repair/replacement.

:yellow:

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,561 Posts
Not trying to hijack this thread but I have a dumb question.

How do you remove the right/left top latch?

The reason that I'm asking is that I have a rattle in the windshield header that I cannot locate.
Last summer removed the motor and linkages to the latches and I still had the rattle, so by process of elimination the only hope I have is that one of the latches needs repair/replacement.

In addition to the center interior cover (that appears you've already removed to expose the center portion where the latching motor resides), the interior A-pillar covers must come out by removing the sun visors (3 screws and disconnecting one wire harness each) and the A-pillar covers then simply unsnap from the installed positions. Just be careful with the base of the A-pillar covers since they have two plastic hooks that must be pulled upward after you unsnap the clips on the upper portion of the pieces.

After the latches are fully exposed, I believe it's three bolts that hold each one in place.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This afternoon I spoke with a chevy parts guy I know in connection with my Camaro car club and he looked up the two part numbers and found that GM has 100+ of both latches in GM warehouses.

He also stated that a few dealerships in the U.S. have one or the other latch on hand.

You should be able to order the latches from "any" Chevy parts department if that is the path you select.

Yes, I have located them. Took one apart earlier and have one of the linkages bent. Tried to straighten but that isn't going to work.
Gonna have to pay the 'general'.

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
In addition to the center interior cover (that appears you've already removed to expose the center portion where the latching motor resides), the interior A-pillar covers must come out by removing the sun visors (3 screws and disconnecting one wire harness each) and the A-pillar covers then simply unsnap from the installed positions. Just be careful with the base of the A-pillar covers since they have two plastic hooks that must be pulled upward after you unsnap the clips on the upper portion of the pieces.

After the latches are fully exposed, I believe it's three bolts that hold each one in place.
Yep, I had it all stripped but I wasn't exactly sure how the latches came out.
As I was taking everything apart I thought that I had really got lucky when I found the set screw for the rear view mirror was loose
but no such luck.
As soon as the weather starts to break I'll hop on it again 'cause that rattle is almost too much to put up with.
Thanks,

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Yes, I have located them. Took one apart earlier and have one of the linkages bent. Tried to straighten but that isn't going to work.
Gonna have to pay the 'general'.
I seem to remember those rods having some threaded adjustment?

Also, if one one of the rods is bent you need to see if you can figure out how it happened or it may happen again.

Good luck and keep us posted just in case someone else has the same issue.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts