Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer has had to order new hinges for the panel that raises to allow the roof to lower. It would not release unless you shook it while pushing the button. They thought that they could adjust it but it still will not function correctly. They have been in touch with GM and have 2 new hinge assemblies coming. Supposed to be a "newly" designed hinge. ?:banghead

Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
110 Posts
hinge

I just got done looking at and through and in VIN 815. The owner was telling me about the same problem you descirbed. the dealer told him not to operate the top until the hinges can be replaced. I was also able to see where the passenger side of the lid is raised slightly. Not sure what the solution is going to be, but you are not alone.

W

·
0 Posts
roof hinge

steve

just curious as to your build number and about how many times you have operated the top.
My vend is 567 and I've had the top down and back up probably 20 times with no problems.
Hope the new hinge assembly is a good fix on this.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Roof reliablity

It's a shame your having problems with the roof already. I hope Chevy gets things worked out. Their brochure claims that the SSR's roof operation has been tested reliably to 8000 cycles. So according to the information given in Chevy's brochure it should work OK for the next 21.91 years if you only operate it 1 time each day. Again I hope the new hinges fix your problem. Please keep us posted on your progress.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
VIN is 795.

The top NEVER worked correctly. I was the first person to try it, or they just let go from the factory screwed up. The guys at the dealership did not try it prior to my arrival. Still no word on the new hinges...

·
Registered
87 Posts
You guys are scaring me.... Mine's 286 and I've run the roof up and down too many times to count. Everyone wants to see it work. Heck, the first week I was doing it at stoplights just to 'grand stand'.... My only problem is that the plastic capping on the bottom outboard corner of the drivers seat (at the carpet) fell off along with the screw and clip to hold it on. I'll tinker with that myself this weekend.

What were the symptoms of the top/hinge problem?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Heard from my dealer, new hinges due in Tuesday. I will post an update after they install them.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dropped the SSR off this morning and they had the new hinges on by 2:30 this afternoon. Works like it should so far...

Part number on the new hinges:

88980414 and 88980415

J

·
0 Posts
Top problems

We have # 684,
Nothing but problems with the top. First it was going back to far and hitting the cover. Then it was going up and down crocked, and the gaps on either side behind the doors were not lined up. We fixed the problem ourselves. The Dealer had no idea what to do. I will call them on Monday and tell them about the hindes.

Also does anybody have 4 puck marks on the Tonneua cover. They go straight across from left to right right abouve the rear wheel??

JEFF

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Puck marks

Jeff,

I checked my cover, but I didn't see any marks or dents.....

·
Registered
112 Posts
Re: Top problems

jab97 said:
Also does anybody have 4 puck marks on the Tonneua cover. They go straight across from left to right right abouve the rear wheel??

JEFF
I have a puck mark on both sides right above the tonneau covers hooks where it latches to the bed on the back side. Anyone else?

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Puck marks

I now notice 4 puck marks on the tonneau cover.....going to have to keep my eye on it to see if more show up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts