Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after about a month of my roof rattle getting worse, I started to explore different remedies to fix it. Well today I found it and fixed it. The rattle sounded like it was coming from the upper rear corner of the passenger side roof. I tried everything to isolate it! Spray lubricant, shimming under the loose plastic trim pieces, etc., but this didn't work. It just so happens that that rattle was not the roof. The tonneau cover was loose on the passenge side. I found it by pushing the front of the toneau cover up (with the door open). It was loose and it made a noise when I moved it up and down. I then went to the drivers side and tried to push the tonneau up and it didn't budge. The drivers side didn't rattle so I figured that the tonneau being loose must be the problem. I then opened the tonneau to the point just before the roof started to go down into the roof well. I then looked at the forks that lock the tonneau down when it is closed. I noticed that the 2 10mm bolts on the passenger side looked like they had been adjusted by someone. I took a 10mm socket wrench and loosened the 2 bolts that hold the forks on the tonneau cover (but not too loose, leave them snug). I then took a rubber mallet and lightly tapped the fork up towards the tonneau cover about 1/8 of an inch. Then I tightened the 2 bolts back up. When I closed the tonneau it was now just as tight on the passenger side as it was on the drivers side. Then I took her for a test drive on bumpy roads and guess what? NO MORE RATTLE!!! Hope this helps others with there rattle problems.
:lurk

G

·
Excellent post. I had some roof related\rattles that I already fixed but will check the tonneau anyway just to make sure it is adjusted right. Interesting that our build numbers are pretty close together and that we both had rattle problems.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Our rattle is coming from the retractable top, passenger side, forward at the windsheild when top is up. Haven't had the opportunity to investigate, right when it started, she had to go away for a few shows.

Hopefully, its just something simple - but it sounds like it is Inside the top itself. This is one of the only issues we have had so far.

Sounds like you found yours, if anyone has the issue in the forward passenger area and have figured it out, I would love to hear about it. :)

Good job supersleuth!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tonneau cover

The tonneau cover is the cover that lifts up to store the roof panel when the convertable top is open. With the convertable top up (closed) push up on the front corner of the tonneau cover right at the door seam. See if one side is looser than the other. My passenger side was loose and it would move about 1/8" when I pushed it up; however the driver side was rock solid and it didn't move at all. Hope this helps to clarify things.
:party

·
Original SSR Centerfold
3,149 Posts
When I was checking mine out I stopped the top so I could see what was in the compartment. I found one of the rubber bumpers on the adjusting stop was missing. It turned up in the bottom of the compartment. It must have been knocked off somehow. You can double check to make sure they are all in place.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Tonneau

I was using the term Tonneau cover to describe the truck bed cover, as I think other were too. Maybe someone could create a line drawing with names of parts identified so that we are all on the same page :)

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
The bed cover is the Tonneau Cover, Lookin4 is correct. The part that opens and stores the roof is the "Flipper Door". You were apparently pressing and adjusting the flipper door from your description.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts