Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rattling roof when closed
Is there any way to adjust roof to stopor minimize rqattles?
Would appreciate any suggestions.

·
SSR Pit Crew
11,642 Posts
What is usually "rattling" is the head liner rear panel.

Look over SSR How to Library about Wind Noise, Window Rattle, etc.

Dicktator

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rattling roof when closed
Is there any way to adjust roof to stopor minimize rqattles?
Would appreciate any suggestions.

I have found a quick, easy and cheap solution to stop my roof rattling all the time.
My rattle was not of the klunking sound or loose door variety. Mine was simply a loose or moving roof sound. It came from over the windshield. There isa weather strip that runs across the top of the windshield and the roof closes against it. This weatherstripis hollow and compresses when the roof is closed. Mine weatherstrip had lost its elasticity and created little resistance. The hollow space is about 3/8 of an inch but I could not snake in foam insulation of that size.
What I did was simply put a small slit in the rubber weatherstrip at one side. Then I easily inserted a length of common insulated tv cable wire through the factory weatherstrip. The cable is only about 1/2 the size of the hollow leaving room for compression. Works like a charm. I resealed the small slit with weatherproof caulking and you cant see the repair. There is no longer any noise from roof movement. There are no wind noises and it is totally waterproof!
I hope this helps anyone with similar problems. Total repair time....15 minutes max after other failed attemps.

·
SSR Pit Crew
11,642 Posts
Very good Larry. You can also adjust roof closing by adjusting rods on windshield latch. Also on HOW TO LIBRARY:

Also on HOW TO LIBRARY: WIND NOISE. Seals are old, lost elasticity, this will improve seal closing and noise.

Don't have to cut any slots in seals, they all have openings. In fact, you will find OEM round foam pieces about 6" to 9" inches long inside some of the seals. Put in at Factory to support seal when closing.

Did several SSR at Dicktator's Garage, including mine.

Bought from Grainger, Rubber, Cord, EPDM, 3/8" Diameter, bought 50'. Mfg. Part# CFEPDM-3/8-50

Dicktator

Attachments

·
Tech Support/Research
1,446 Posts
It is also possible to restore some "body" to a seal that has taken a permanent compression set by feeding a strip of clear vinyl tubing, e.g., 1/4" OD, through the inside of the weatherstrip. Lubricating the tubing with a soapy water solution as it is fed through the weatherstrip eases the insrallation.

·
BAD BOW TIE
8,609 Posts
I have found a quick, easy and cheap solution to stop my roof rattling all the time.
My rattle was not of the klunking sound or loose door variety. Mine was simply a loose or moving roof sound. It came from over the windshield. There isa weather strip that runs across the top of the windshield and the roof closes against it. This weatherstripis hollow and compresses when the roof is closed. Mine weatherstrip had lost its elasticity and created little resistance. The hollow space is about 3/8 of an inch but I could not snake in foam insulation of that size.
What I did was simply put a small slit in the rubber weatherstrip at one side. Then I easily inserted a length of common insulated tv cable wire through the factory weatherstrip. The cable is only about 1/2 the size of the hollow leaving room for compression. Works like a charm. I resealed the small slit with weatherproof caulking and you cant see the repair. There is no longer any noise from roof movement. There are no wind noises and it is totally waterproof!
I hope this helps anyone with similar problems. Total repair time....15 minutes max after other failed attemps.

Keep the top down and turn up the exhaust sound! Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is also possible to restore some "body" to a seal that has taken a permanent compression set by feeding a strip of clear vinyl tubing, e.g., 1/4" OD, through the inside of the weatherstrip. Lubricating the tubing with a soapy water solution as it is fed through the weatherstrip eases the insrallation.
An excellent idea! And it is readily available anywhere. Thank you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very good Larry. You can also adjust roof closing by adjusting rods on windshield latch. Also on HOW TO LIBRARY:

Also on HOW TO LIBRARY: WIND NOISE. Seals are old, lost elasticity, this will improve seal closing and noise.

Don't have to cut any slots in seals, they all have openings. In fact, you will find OEM round foam pieces about 6" to 9" inches long inside some of the seals. Put in at Factory to support seal when closing.

Did several SSR at Dicktator's Garage, including mine.

Bought from Grainger, Rubber, Cord, EPDM, 3/8" Diameter, bought 50'. Mfg. Part# CFEPDM-3/8-50

Dicktator
The roof seals have openings in the seals at the rear edge of top but the seal on top of the windshield mouldings do NOT have openings. Nobody, including your fixes do not address the rattling I have experienced. It was caused by a lack of seal pressure between the front edge of roof and the actual top of the windshield. There were no wind whistles or air leaks, just enough loss in flexibility of the seal to stop the roof from shifting when in the locked position of top closed.
The wire fix I described worked well but I have since replaced it with some 3/8 inch plumbing soft flexible rubber tubing that i attached to the wire previously installed and pulled it through in less than five minutes. No soap, oil liquid etc required to pull it through. Easy Peasy!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The roof seals have openings in the seals at the rear edge of top but the seal on top of the windshield mouldings do NOT have openings. Nobody, including your fixes do not address the rattling I have experienced. It was caused by a lack of seal pressure between the front edge of roof and the actual top of the windshield. There were no wind whistles or air leaks, just enough loss in flexibility of the seal to stop the roof from shifting when in the locked position of top closed.
The wire fix I described worked well but I have since replaced it with some 3/8 inch plumbing soft flexible rubber tubing that i attached to the wire previously installed and pulled it through in less than five minutes. No soap, oil liquid etc required to pull it through. Easy Peasy!
[/
Thanks Larry, That is true but you don't have to CUT seal at very top.

Roof Header Latch has rod adjustment which we have done many times to close roof tighter to take out "rattle" as you describe it.

You do what ever you want, it's your SSR.

Dicktator
is the adjustment at the windshield or is it the roof storage compartment..
i am confused to say the least!

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
In addition to the info posted above, you may want to look at my SSR roof maintenance / adjustment video on my YouTube channel.

Hey RetroCarGuy! I enjoyed the video and put your method to the test ... I had a very annoying roof "shimmy" or "shudder" that had a periodicity of 1 second ON and 1 second OFF. This was most noticeable on cool mornings when I drive to work; most noticeable in the 65-75 mph range. When I drive home in the afternoon, in a summer-heat-warmed vehicle, the "shimmy-shudder" disappeared. I cleaned up all the seals with 303, then used the dielectric grease on those areas you show in the video. Holy smokes ... my shudder completely disappeared! Next morning drive to work was the most enjoyable I've had in weeks. THANK YOU.

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,530 Posts
Hey RetroCarGuy! I enjoyed the video and put your method to the test ... I had a very annoying roof "shimmy" or "shudder" that had a periodicity of 1 second ON and 1 second OFF. This was most noticeable on cool mornings when I drive to work; most noticeable in the 65-75 mph range. When I drive home in the afternoon, in a summer-heat-warmed vehicle, the "shimmy-shudder" disappeared. I cleaned up all the seals with 303, then used the dielectric grease on those areas you show in the video. Holy smokes ... my shudder completely disappeared! Next morning drive to work was the most enjoyable I've had in weeks. THANK YOU.
I'm very happy to hear my video helped!

·
SSR Pit Crew
11,642 Posts
is the adjustment at the windshield or is it the roof storage compartment..
i am confused to say the least!
Windshield. See How to Library: Look up ROOF OUTER ACTUATOR.

Do not have to remove all windshield trim, just center trim.

Use Roof Tool to check tightness before using Roof Pump.

Do one turn at a time, each rod, then check.

Dicktator

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
I had rattling in the back. I found the cover for the Amp, RDM and DRL box was not tight and the two clamp latches were rattling. I removed the cover ( four 10mm nuts and two latches, added a strip of weatherstiping under the front edge of the cover and added a piece of 1.5"x 1.5" Window A/C foam filler under the cover. latches are now tight and no more rattle. Also stuck down a corner of the rear window trim surround with a piece of black gorilla tape since it was loose too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts