Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading a thread the other day about the Roof Release tool and I got to thinking I have not seen this. We bought our 04 used in December so maybe it was left out. It's -17 here in Iowa this morning so going on a search will have to wait.

When you bought your SSR new was this tool stored somwhere special or is it supposed to be in the glove box ? Nothing a trip to dealer won't solve. :banghead

As always thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
I've got the '05 and it had the roof release tool with the manual as well.. good luck, and visit your dealer sooner then later.

·
Boop Op A Doop
30,422 Posts
Timbrr said:
When you bought your SSR new was this tool stored somwhere special or is it supposed to be in the glove box ? Nothing a trip to dealer won't solve. :banghead

Mine was stored in the middle console box. Didn't get the manual but I have it now.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the infomation, looks like a trip to dealer for the tool. This brings up some questions, is roof malfunction a frequent problem for most peolple ? Is it difficult to raise or lower the roof by hand ? Do you want to practice rasing and lowering the roof before it malfuctions ? This forum is the best, thanks. :)

·
OP
8,226 Posts
pain

Timbrr said:
Thanks for the infomation, looks like a trip to dealer for the tool. This brings up some questions, is roof malfunction a frequent problem for most peolple ? Is it difficult to raise or lower the roof by hand ? Do you want to practice rasing and lowering the roof before it malfuctions ? This forum is the best, thanks. :)
it is a pian in the a.. to have to move the roof manually. I would not worry about the malfunctioning unless you are receiving signs, like time out warnings in the DIC or the latch not releasing.
You must get the tool for emergencies, i.e., rain/snow/hail/sun storms.
Most malfunctions we have encountered were of the roof going down, not up, which is fortunate.

Typically not a major deal and the dealer can usually fix although when it does occur, you will be out of town, far from home, near a FORD dealer only...

So, in short, get the tool, stash in the glove box, pray you never need it...

Have a nice day.

P.s. almost forgot, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I would not recommend manual operation until necessary as you could be tempting computer fate.

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Timbrr said:
I was reading a thread the other day about the Roof Release tool and I got to thinking I have not seen this. We bought our 04 used in December so maybe it was left out. It's -17 here in Iowa this morning so going on a search will have to wait.

Check your tire service kit in the back of your drivers seat. I put mine in there.

Also, -17 in IOWA. Great, I'll be flying from Hawaii to Iowa next week for a business trip. Can't get much more extreme. :cry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts