Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my new roof struts from Mike ready to install this week. I have read his instruction sheet and also read the instructions here on the site. I have installed new hood struts which seems to be almost the same thing. I had no trouble with the hood struts but the top ones are a bit more complicated in that you can't get to the bottom ball very well. For those of you who have done this before, what are the pit falls? I assume the main issue is getting the bottom end to click on the ball???? I am not very mechanical and really dread starting this. As suggested, I will have another person helping hold the top in place etc. Any further suggestions in addition to the installation instructions will be much appreciated.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
I have done it. The directions are pretty straight forward and there are no real pitfalls. Take your time and don't rush. Yes, getting the strut ends to click on can be frustrating but it's all a matter of having them properly lined up. Again, be patient and you'll be fine. Glad you've got the extra person on board to help.

·
Genuinely SSR Obsessed
8,553 Posts
You Got This!!!!

"Keep the Faith" as even I have done this....by myself!! - :surprise:

Yes, me and a broom handle and empty new plastic kitchen garbage can!! - >:) ((You're on your own with your wife!!! - :laugh:))

An assistant is a luxury I didn't have along with a bit of "lack of patience". You definitely can do this. The rewards are soooo worth it.

Mike's direction is very straight forward. Go for it!!!! - :smile2:

==============
David :black:
images-4.jpeg

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE FROM ORIGINAL POST I installed the roof struts today. Other than the obvious problems seeing what you are doing I was very lucky. Mine snapped on very easily by hand and did not require any prying, hamering, cussing, hand wringing etc. It did make a huge difference in the tops SOUND. Before it was creaking, moaning and groaning but now just the hum of the system. I am very pleased and hope this change extends the life of the hyd. cylinders. Having a helper that was left handed I think helped a lot with the passenger side.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,190 Posts
UPDATE FROM ORIGINAL POST I installed the roof struts today. Other than the obvious problems seeing what you are doing I was very lucky. Mine snapped on very easily by hand and did not require any prying, hamering, cussing, hand wringing etc. It did make a huge difference in the tops SOUND. Before it was creaking, moaning and groaning but now just the hum of the system. I am very pleased and hope this change extends the life of the hyd. cylinders. Having a helper that was left handed I think helped a lot with the passenger side.
You are awesome...... and now the expert in Missouri. :thumbs

Mike

·
BLU SSR
3,537 Posts
Glad you stuck with it , and I am sure your SSR likes the extra help lifting the top up and slowing it down before it hits bottom! It does really help to hear one operating correctly to know when you need to replace them. I know I feel a lot more comfortable using the top since I replaced ours on Little Red. Now all you have to do is get everything else Mike sells! >:) :blur: :ssr

·
Premium Member
3,057 Posts
Glad to hear it went smooth for you,
My replacement struts arrived Friday. I was busy Saturday and didn't want to risk not getting it together in time for my meet and greet on Sunday. I think it must be one of Murphy's Laws " When repairing a car if you need your car and you plan for an hour it will take 3 or 4, If you don't need you car and your prepare for 3-4 it will take less than 1." Like wizzr sometimes I can't seem to find a third hand, that typically leads to frustration and that usually leads to something getting broken in my case. I plan to do it this weekend when I might find some assistance and have plenty of time just in case. I want to get tools shipped back to Mike as soon as I can so somebody else is not waiting too long.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts