Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I found the dreaded roof system hydraulic fluid on the passenger side of the roof storage compartment.
It was not from a cylinder leak, it came from the two hydraulic tubes that go to the storage compartment cover extension hydraulic cylinder.
Both tubes were damaged from being pulled too tight and the tubes were tie wrapped very tight at the tie points in the storage compartment.
The tubes were cut buy the mounting clip on the hinge.
The drivers side tubes were also pulled too tight and tie wrapped very tight.
I contacted Cabriolet Hydraulics in Bradenton, FL. (941 765 1300) and ordered two tubing splice connectors.
The connectors come with detailed instructions and were easy to install.

Attachments

·
Las Vegas Mob
1,371 Posts
Ed,

Did the system require any bleeding or air evacuation after the repair?

Thanks!

Bob :purple:

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,105 Posts
Sorry to hear that you experienced this issue........ This sucks, my friend. Good to see that you were able to do the repair. I regret that I am gonna use you as an example, my friend....... I know you just got the truck, so the problem did not come at your hands.

I have been speaking about this issue for several years at every opportunity. The electrical tape that GM used to protect the tubing has been migrating out from under the clips for the last few years. It is getting worse across the fleet.....

Preventive maintenance is easy.... unclip the tubes, re-wrap some electrical tape around the tubes and re-clip back onto the hinge. Gary (River Rat) has been using some shower pan liner as a cushion. It works well. Bottom line to the rest of the SSR community.......... LOOK AT YOUR TUBING WHERE IT GOES ACROSS THE HINGE!!!!

All my best Ed. You didn't deserve this issue.

Mike

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,488 Posts
Thanks for the information!!

Nick

·
Registered
87 Posts
To keep clip from cutting into line I used wire insulator shrink tubing on mine. I split the shrink tubing wrapped it around line, then wrapped electrical tape to hold it on. It worked great . Btw I removed clips and just used tie wraps, I didn’t like the clips cutting into the line even though now repaired. Are there any other places that wear in top area that I could address?
Thanks Jeff

·
Registered
196 Posts
The roof hydraulic system is self-ventilating.
I just had to add hydraulic fluid.
Nice job on the repair and documentation. Hopefully we can make up some directions and put on Dictators repair site?
Say... wait a minute..... that looks like Dictators thumb in that 1 picture. That thumb has been well photographed over the years! :grin2: Is know it just about anywhere. :wink2:
Speaking of which.... I understand the hyd fluid is special stuff and special stuff is expensive! Can you shed some light on the fluid, where you got it and at what cost?
Thank You.
Butch

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's not Dictator's dirty thumb - It's my dirty thumb.
I am in Michigan for the summer, The Dicktator is in Florida.
The Dicktator does not do the work - he photographs it and reports it - and does a very good job.
The fluid was bought on E-Bay.
It is OEM Factory SAAB Power Steering Fluid 93160548, bought for $20.00, including shipping
Go to the, "How To Library" and read my article on "Roof Cylinder RRR"

·
Premium Member
1,967 Posts
That's not Dictator's dirty thumb - It's my dirty thumb.
I am in Michigan for the summer, The Dicktator is in Florida.
The Dicktator does not do the work - he photographs it and reports it - and does a very good job.
The fluid was bought on E-Bay.
It is OEM Factory SAAB Power Steering Fluid 93160548, bought for $20.00, including shipping
Go to the, "How To Library" and read my article on "Roof Cylinder RRR"
Great job. Have a Texas R that need that same repair. To make life easy can you give info on the splicer you used. Where you got and part #.

Frank

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,457 Posts
Sorry to hear that you experienced this issue........ This sucks, my friend. Good to see that you were able to do the repair. I regret that I am gonna use you as an example, my friend....... I know you just got the truck, so the problem did not come at your hands.

I have been speaking about this issue for several years at every opportunity. The electrical tape that GM used to protect the tubing has been migrating out from under the clips for the last few years. It is getting worse across the fleet.....

Preventive maintenance is easy.... unclip the tubes, re-wrap some electrical tape around the tubes and re-clip back onto the hinge. Gary (River Rat) has been using some shower pan liner as a cushion. It works well. Bottom line to the rest of the SSR community.......... LOOK AT YOUR TUBING WHERE IT GOES ACROSS THE HINGE!!!!

All my best Ed. You didn't deserve this issue.

Mike

While looking at the tubing, pay attention to the wires that run through that area as well. They to can get cut and then your top fails as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts