Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Chevy SSR
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Right roof lift cylinder blew.
2. Realized when pump sounded "funny" (dry)
3. Cycled just enough to unlock tonneau. Roof timeout came on. Pump stopped.
4. Added proper fluid and tried to cycle the top.
5. Activated to put top down.. Roof timeout came on after tonneau locks opened. Pump stopped.
6. Fast forward: Removed and replaced entire hydraulic system using Top Hydraulics full monty
7. Tonneau locks open, pump stops and Timeout indication comes on.
8. Disconnected the battery for a beer, reconnected and tried again. Same disappointing result.
9. Any suggested approaches will be appreciated and tried.
Frustrated in Florida --- Clip

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,887 Posts
@clipkarn, hang on. That big group in Florida will get you fixed. Meantime--Welcome from Forney Texas. Consider clicking on the Colored Letter/Picture, top far right corner, go down to "Account Settings", click, and fill in your information. Especially your LOCATION and the year of your SSR, like the rest of us. Then go the the left side and click on "Signature". Also put the year of your SSR in your "Signature", and anything else you want to show in your posts, and we can help you better if you have a problem. When you finish click the "SAVE" box.
Also click on this link and go to Post #1 Help Us Help You---UPDATE

Nick & Kathy

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
2006 Pacific Blue times 23198 & 21474
28,807 Posts
Have you checked the micro-switches?
Sounds like you have probably been to Dicktator's One Drive but if not check it out and look at all Roof related items.

Reactions: Marc NY

·
Ex SoCal Nut
9,962 Posts
you still have air in the system. no bleed valves in the system. as long as there are no leaks now, patience. you will have to cycle the sequences to get the air out, it's a "closed" hydraulic loop. Highly Suggest you read up in Dictators Library. The fixes are there !

Reactions: BlueStreak

·
Registered
2004 Chevy SSR
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1. Right roof lift cylinder blew.
2. Realized when pump sounded "funny" (dry)
3. Cycled just enough to unlock tonneau. Roof timeout came on. Pump stopped.
4. Added proper fluid and tried to cycle the top.
5. Activated to put top down.. Roof timeout came on after tonneau locks opened. Pump stopped.
6. Fast forward: Removed and replaced entire hydraulic system using Top Hydraulics full monty
7. Tonneau locks open, pump stops and Timeout indication comes on.
8. Disconnected the battery for a beer, reconnected and tried again. Same disappointing result.
9. Any suggested approaches will be appreciated and tried.
Frustrated in Florida --- Clip
Update: Disconnected the battery at the battery and touched positive to negative to clear any codes hanging around.
Retried lowering the top. Same reaction: Tonneau locks open, pump stops, "Roof Cycle Timeout" appears. Very consistent

·
Cantankerous SSR CaretakR
2,304 Posts
Check all your connectors to make sure fully seated.

If pump reservoir is full, the next thing I would try is to get 2 people and manually open the roof tonneau with KEY OFF. Then check and lubricate the T-Latch switches with CRC-2-26 (Home Depot). Following this while KEY IS STILL OFF, SLOWLY AND CAREFULLY close and open the cover and extension a handful of times to purge air from the system. Leave Tonneau in the open position. Next manually raise and lower the roof a half dozen times to purge air from those cylinders. Lower roof and close tonneau. Start truck and try roof again. If roof is up and locked, skip that step for now..

Once the roof or tonneau panels start to move, Do not run pump for more than a few minutes at a time while cycling to purge air. Let cool for 10 minutes or you could melt your reservoir, pump gets hot quick.

·
BLU SSR
3,609 Posts
Check all your connectors to make sure fully seated.

If pump reservoir is full, the next thing I would try is to get 2 people and manually open the roof tonneau with KEY OFF. Then check and lubricate the T-Latch switches with CRC-2-26 (Home Depot). Following this while KEY IS STILL OFF, SLOWLY AND CAREFULLY close and open the cover and extension a handful of times to purge air from the system. Leave Tonneau in the open position. Next manually raise and lower the roof a half dozen times to purge air from those cylinders. Lower roof and close tonneau. Start truck and try roof again. If roof is up and locked, skip that step for now..

Once the roof or tonneau panels start to move, Do not run pump for more than a few minutes at a time while cycling to purge air. Let cool for 10 minutes or you could melt your reservoir, pump gets hot quick.
Only thing I would add is a caution when raising and lowering the top manually BE CAREFUL , THE TOP IS VERY HEAVY AND IT IS VERY EASY TO BEND THE HINGES - SOMETHING YOU DON'T WANT TO DO !!! Lift evenly and slowly !

·
Ex SoCal Nut
9,962 Posts
Update: Disconnected the battery at the battery and touched positive to negative to clear any codes hanging around.
Retried lowering the top. Same reaction: Tonneau locks open, pump stops, "Roof Cycle Timeout" appears. Very consistent
Do a double check of the HAL sensors to make sure they are installed properly, too. They can be, and it Does make a difference, Use the pics in Dicktators tutorial to see which way they need to be installed. Hope this helps, as your system is stopping at the same place every time.

·
Registered
2004 UV
1,190 Posts
When I had my cylinders rebuilt micro switch was not aligned right on one side was getting roof ajar when it was closed or open. Sometimes Ill get time out when putting the top down if I haven't done it for awhile guess it take some time for fluid to get to right level before operating properly therefore time out to not burn up pump...

·
Registered
2004 Chevy SSR
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Y'all are being super helpful and I'm following your suggestions. New add to the symptoms. The driver side glass does not crack (index?) when the door is opened.

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,757 Posts
Does the passengers side index? Does the drivers side roll down with the switch? If yes to both of these then you may have a drivers side door latch issue.

·
SSR Pit Crew
13,173 Posts
Y'all are being super helpful and I'm following your suggestions. New add to the symptoms. The driver side glass does not crack (index?) when the door is opened.
Window not indexing has nothing to do with roof operation. On my How to Library.

You live in Fl?? 254 SSR Florida Chapter fanatics. Let us know where you are so we can help.

Dicktator

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,887 Posts
@clipkarn Listen to Dicktator. Also see post #2

Nick

·
Registered
2004 Chevy SSR
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Window not indexing has nothing to do with roof operation. On my How to Library.

You live in Fl?? 254 SSR Florida Chapter fanatics. Let us know where you are so we can help.

Dicktator
I Ilive in Bluewater Bay in the FortWalton/Destin/Niceville/Eglin AFB area. Just joined the world of SSR owners 2 months ago and was having a large time until the top stopped

·
Registered
2004 Chevy SSR
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Does the passengers side index? Does the drivers side roll down with the switch? If yes to both of these then you may have a drivers side door latch issue.
That glitch "fixed" itself, always a little scary since I didn't do anything to cause it to work. What next?

·
SSR Pit Crew
13,173 Posts
Know where you are. Niceville Bill, who passed a few years ago, was very active in Florida Chapter.

Wait until we get back open and we will see about getting you going again.

Dicktator

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,757 Posts
Door latches can act up if they get wet from washing the trucks or a rain storm. When they dry out they will be ok until they get corroded. Sounds like you are in a good place and with help from Dicktator he will have you up and going in no time.

·
Registered
2004 Chevy SSR
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Door latches can act up if they get wet from washing the trucks or a rain storm. When they dry out they will be ok until they get corroded. Sounds like you are in a good place and with help from Dicktator he will have you up and going in no time.
I like the way you talk!

·
Registered
2004 Chevy SSR
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Know where you are. Niceville Bill, who passed a few years ago, was very active in Florida Chapter.

Wait until we get back open and we will see about getting you going again.

Dicktator
Sounds great. Meanwhile, I ordered a scanner so I could do Trouble shooting step one of the 175 page section in the Service Manual on the SSR roof. Pretty intimidating! I think the glitch is in the truck since I installed an entire rebuilt/upgraded hydraulic and electric kit from Top Hydraulics after the "Roof Cycle Timeout" started.

·
Registered
2004 Chevy SSR
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks to all for your responses and smart suggestions. One cycle down manually and the top came back up by itself and now functions correctly. The Top Hydraulics kit works perfectly. All that's left now is to carefully check all the spaghetti in the top compartment to be sure everything is secure and out of the way. And I have a cool Foxwell NT530 scanner for endless hours of entertainment. Happy Hump Day --- Clip

1 - 20 of 24 Posts