Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took our '05 SSR in for a check of a few issues. One being the water leaking in the driver's side floor. Looks like it's the weather stripping that is where the retractable top connects. Well guess what? It's discontinued! Possibly need to replace all of it around the door too. The door lock button quit working too and it looks like you have to replace the entire plate that covers the gear shift that houses all the controls for the locks, roof and windows. Guess what? It's discontinued! I did find one of these on ebay for $190 plus shipping. The cluster panel, they say needs replacing (the second time) due to the battery light stays on along with the lock symbol. What an expensive headache. Anyone know where to get the weather stripping...or have had similar issues? I know I can't be alone!

·
Tech Support/Research
1,684 Posts
Door Lock Button

The door lock button quit working too and it looks like you have to replace the entire plate that covers the gear shift that houses all the controls for the locks, roof and windows. Guess what? It's discontinued! I did find one of these on ebay for $190 plus shipping.
Before replacing the entire console shift plate, you should try removing it and gently cleaning the electrical contacts on all of the switches. It has been the experience of others that debris that has accumulated after years of use, or remnants of liquid spills in the console area, have impacted the operation of these switches.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yikes! My floorboards are wet after a rain also. Is it weatherstripping? Sources? Thanks!

·
Ex SoCal Nut
9,931 Posts
Look at the door windows, straight down from where the roof weatherstrip separates from the next piece. They are chamfered (angled) so that they will compress and form a tight seal. If your window doesn't press hard enough against the seal, there may be a leak there. Look for water streaks coming down from the seal on the glass. Don't forget that water gathers at the Lowest Point and take a look under your door sill plate. You'll have to separate the floor panel lip from the outer plate to look inside. There are wire runs from the driver kick panel to the rear of the truck inside there. Be sure to make sure it is dried out, otherwise, the water will want to Eat Its Way Out = Body Cancer... Under the seat will hold water as well as the driver foot area. Be sure to dry out all the areas, as they are Not Commonly drained into one spot. I have found that the rain WILL come into the cabin while driving and run down the inside of the driver window, but will Not leak while it is parked. Maybe the AC or Heater Blower is pushing the window OUT while driving and that's when the water will seek a point to get past the seal. Just a theory of mine. Keep a towel or two handy when going thru inclement weather... Door window "tip In/Out adjustment instructions are available in Dicktator "How To" and it's pretty much Straight Geometry, don't let that scare you 'cause I was able to do it, so, It Ain't That Bad"!!! Worth the time Before you try and Replace a bunch of rubber seals.... (a Worse Job IMOHO)...

·
RedHotSSR
605 Posts
Flex Steel

Just took our '05 SSR in for a check of a few issues. One being the water leaking in the driver's side floor. Looks like it's the weather stripping that is where the retractable top connects. Well guess what? It's discontinued! Possibly need to replace all of it around the door too. The door lock button quit working too and it looks like you have to replace the entire plate that covers the gear shift that houses all the controls for the locks, roof and windows. Guess what? It's discontinued! I did find one of these on ebay for $190 plus shipping. The cluster panel, they say needs replacing (the second time) due to the battery light stays on along with the lock symbol. What an expensive headache. Anyone know where to get the weather stripping...or have had similar issues? I know I can't be alone!
I have used this product and found it to be VERY good in repairing cracked / damaged AUTO weather-stripping. I saw it on TV but you can purchase it at ACE Hardware. It is a thick liquid rubber and can be applied directly over existing weather-stripping in area where there a break or other damage. Apply a thin coat let it penetrate the void then apple another coat. Worked on my Camaro T Top stripping. NO MORE LEAK. Just remember to read the directions and apply in thin even coats. Oh and the ambient temp of the vehicle is also important

I also applied a light coat to the striping that protrudes between the roof sections when the top is closed. Check that for breaks also.

"Long may you run" ( Leak Free )

1 - 8 of 8 Posts