Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Chevy SSR
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2004 SSR and the roof was working fine, up until I got home. I heard a sound behind the seat that sounded like the pump or the control was running. I turned off the vehicle and it stopped making the sound, started it back again and it continued to make the sound, followed with a burnt smell (did not smell like oil more so like electrical) No where was I trying to lower the roof just pull out of the drive way. After letting it air out the burnt smell. I started it again and tried to lower the roof and nothing, even the windows did not want to lower. It was like the console had cut out as well. Checked the main fuses for the roof did not see any indicators. Let the vehicle sit and started it again and this time the sound stopped behind the seats and the windows were able to role down and the roof switch worked, but now indicates "time out" and will not lower. Any help or what I should look for would be great. Thank you.

·
Tech Support/Research
1,600 Posts
The timeout message indicates that some operation in the roof opening sequence did not occur within a specified amount of time and therefore the system is programed to stop. The first thing you need to do is determine the source of the burning electrical odor. Manually open the cover lid (there are instructions in the owner's manual) and examine all of the wiring in the roof harness for breaks or melted wires. There are wires and hydraulic hoses secured by a metal clip on the right side of the cover lid that are prone to chafing and those could have shorted to ground and caused the fault. There is a lot of information on roof operations and troubleshooting here and within Dicktator's onedrive library so do some reading there as well.

Let us know what you find as we move towards helping you out.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
3,865 Posts
@Jmen, Go to the Library link above, or clicl this one, OneDrive and read about the Roof Operation, AND--Welcome from Forney Texas. Consider clicking on the Colored Letter/Picture, top far right corner, go down to "Account Settings", click, and fill in your information. Especially your LOCATION and the year of your SSR, like the rest of us. Then go the the left side and click on "Signature". Also put the year of your SSR in your "Signature", and anything else you want to show in your posts, and we can help you better if you have a problem. When you finish click the "SAVE" box.
Also click on this link and go to Post #1 Help Us Help You---UPDATE

Nick & Kathy

·
Registered
2004 Chevy SSR
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The timeout message indicates that some operation in the roof opening sequence did not occur within a specified amount of time and therefore the system is programed to stop. The first thing you need to do is determine the source of the burning electrical odor. Manually open the cover lid (there are instructions in the owner's manual) and examine all of the wiring in the roof harness for breaks or melted wires. There are wires and hydraulic hoses secured by a metal clip on the right side of the cover lid that are prone to chafing and those could have shorted to ground and caused the fault. There is a lot of information on roof operations and troubleshooting here and within Dicktator's onedrive library so do some reading there as well.

·
Registered
2004 Chevy SSR
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thank you this is a good start. I down loaded the "retractable roof operations & service procedures" I don't want to mess anything up, so I'm making sure. The procedures they describe are to take the roof back up, but do those same steps work, since the roof is in the up and locked position, or is there away to just open the roof cover behind the back window of the roof. I read of the two wires behind the seats and wondered if that will allow me to open the cover behind the back window, since that is what opens before the roof goes in. Just making sure before I start investigating. Thanks again.

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,194 Posts
My SSR How to Library:

Bed Light has "live" wire that goes to RDM,

Bed Light can short and cause fire plus STOP roof from operating.

I have LED Bed light with 1amp fuses for $20.00 includes mailing

Dicktator

Attachments

·
Tech Support/Research
1,600 Posts
The procedures for opening and closing the top manually are contained in the 2004 Owners Manual, starting on Page 2-47. The red and green cable ends behind the seats are used to manually release the left and right latches that hold the top cover lid closed. The green cable is used to release (pull the cable), red to re-engage. The roof header latches can be released using the t-shaped "roof tool" with a splined end. When engaging this tool at the header above the mirror, resist all temptation to hammer on this to engage, otherwise you will break the mechanism.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
27,970 Posts
I suppose this may be too simple, no pun intended Mike, but is the bed cover completely closed/latched?

Dave
Just a follow up on this comment, it must be latched at both corners. I have had mine refuse to operated because one corner did not latch completely though it looked completely closed. Best test is to open the bed and close solidly again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts