Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I searched the Forum...
Top was working perfect last week. Tried to open and the rear of the Tonneau panel catches on the front of the bed cover. If I remove the bed cover, the top works well.

The problem appears to be the rear of the tonneau cover does not lift up before the cover starts to move towards the rear. The cover then pinches against the front of the bed cover. No codes are indicated on the dash. If I stop the cover after it starts to move and manually lift the rear of the tonneau to clear the front of the bed cover, it will work. So the rear of the tonneau is not lifting enough. Also driver side starts to move before the passenger side.

Mine was made before the change from rubber hose to delrin bushing, but that does not appear to be the problem. I made PTFE bushings and it did not help.
The fluid level was right at the "minimum" mark so I filled to half way between minimum and maximum. I was hoping it was just low fluid. Still won't open without catching on the bed cover.

No signs of leaking fluid.

The two hydraulic rams that lift the Tonneau cover appear to fully extend, just not soon enough. (The two short rams that are vertical at the rear of the compartment.)

Problem seems to occur between step 2 and 3. in this list.
The sequence for opening the top is as follows when holding the retractable roof switch to the OPEN request position:

1. Driver and passenger windows index down
2. Tonneau latch extending to unlatch
3. Tonneau latch extended, opened
4. Tonneau panel extending upward, opening
5. Tonneau panel extended upward
6. Front tonneau extending
7. Front tonneau extended
8. Header latch unlatching
9. Top panel dowel pins activate that top panel is not over center and unlatched
10. Top panel retracting, to open position
11. Top panel retracted to open position
12. Tonneau panel retracting downward, closing
13. Tonneau panel closed
14. Tonneau latch, retracted
15. Audible chime 2 times indicated cycle completed

So...Any suggestions?

·
Cantankerous SSR CaretakR
2,273 Posts
What's the last 5 digits of your VIN? Some, not many, very very early VIN's had weak tonneau cover hinges that were subject to tweaking and not clearing the cargo cover. They were part of a TSB.

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
Hinges.

Sounds like you have the early design '03 hinges. With the improved '04 hinges the first thing that happens is the cover lifts straight up about 2" and then tilts. The earlier hinges just tilt, and after they hang they bend and get worse. We recently had a '04 that was built well after the design change that had the '03 hinge.

Jack

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
9,997 Posts
Sounds like you have the early design '03 hinges. With the improved '04 hinges the first thing that happens is the cover lifts straight up about 2" and then tilts. The earlier hinges just tilt, and after they hang they bend and get worse. We recently had a '04 that was built well after the design change that had the '03 hinges.

Mike in AZ Simple Engineering has the correct hinges in stock.

Jack
Hey Jack..... I am not a good hinge source. I sold the set of used ones I had on hand from a dismantled 2004. There are still a few brand new sets available through Mike Byers. He orders them from "Vintage Parts". They are fairly inexpensive at this point, but when the last are gone, the price for used hinges will start to climb.

Regards,

Mike

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Searched a little more and I think you are correct about the hinges. Found a thread that said new hinge numbers are 88980414 and 88980415. However, when I search for those part numbers, I get nada, zip, zero, zilch.
I sent Mike Byers a PM.

·
RED SLED
439 Posts
Yes, I searched the Forum...
Top was working perfect last week. Tried to open and the rear of the Tonneau panel catches on the front of the bed cover. If I remove the bed cover, the top works well.
I
The problem appears to be the rear of the tonneau cover does not lift up before the cover starts to move towards the rear. The cover then pinches against the front of the bed cover. No codes are indicated on the dash. If I stop the cover after it starts to move and manually lift the rear of the tonneau to clear the front of the bed cover, it will work. So the rear of the tonneau is not lifting enough. Also driver side starts to move before the passenger side.

Mine was made before the change from rubber hose to delrin bushing, but that does not appear to be the problem. I made PTFE bushings and it did not help.
The fluid level was right at the "minimum" mark so I filled to half way between minimum and maximum. I was hoping it was just low fluid. Still won't open without catching on the bed cover.

No signs of leaking fluid.

The two hydraulic rams that lift the Tonneau cover appear to fully extend, just not soon enough. (The two short rams that are vertical at the rear of the compartment.)

Problem seems to occur between step 2 and 3. in this list.
The sequence for opening the top is as follows when holding the retractable roof switch to the OPEN request position:

1. Driver and passenger windows index down
2. Tonneau latch extending to unlatch
3. Tonneau latch extended, opened
4. Tonneau panel extending upward, opening
5. Tonneau panel extended upward
6. Front tonneau extending
7. Front tonneau extended
8. Header latch unlatching
9. Top panel dowel pins activate that top panel is not over center and unlatched
10. Top panel retracting, to open position
11. Top panel retracted to open position
12. Tonneau panel retracting downward, closing
13. Tonneau panel closed
14. Tonneau latch, retracted
15. Audible chime 2 times indicated cycle completed

So...Any suggestions?
Same problem my 03 had. Got the redesigned hinges and installed Those. It did correct he problem but you will have to fiddle around adjusting the panels after the hinge install for a couple hours.

Reactions: Hollister SSR

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update:

Fooled around over a month waiting for Whiteracingproductsllc nos to deliver two hinges. They sent the left but never the right side. They did give my money back for the right side hinge. But since I really need a matched pair, I was left to search. Found one on GM Parts Giant, and ordered the part. Couple days later I get an e-mail saying the part is not available. So back to searching. Found a used pair at Pacific Motors in Michigan. Ordered them today. Still waiting. Now I have a brand new spare left side hinge. Hopefully the R will be fixed soon.

·
Daily Driver
8,930 Posts
Since you haven't bothered to fill in your profile I have to ask what year is your truck?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just purchased and installed the newer part numbers from GMPartsGiant.Com. They new hinges work fine.
Thanks for the heads up but GM Parts Giant no longer has them in stock. Still waiting for a used set from a 2006 to arrive.

·
RedHotSSR
605 Posts
Bad Hinges

My 04 came with 03 hinges. NEVER knew when the roof would work properly so seldom let it down. Thanks to Jack, Mike, AND Dictator, the problem was resolved by replacing the "Factory" hinges. Cover lifts straight up and clears cargo deck perfectly EVERY time now. Enjoying my R's convertible capability more now than in previous 7 years of ownership.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)

New hinges arrived and I got them installed. It would have been a lot easier with two people. Top now works! The cover fits better than ever.
I took a quick look at the old hinges and didn’t see anything that was obviously bent. But again the cover fits better now so something must have been out of spec.
Pic is old hinge on left. Rube Goldberg would be proud. The more I look at them, the more differences I see. I don’t think you can mix and match the newer style with the old.
River Rat and KellyO. I should be able to ship the hinges in about a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I could see a definite bend in the hinge that I replaced.

I’ll look closer at mine when I get home.

New hinge on left. Old hinge is not “square”. I think it bent in the plate that bolts to the body. But the bend shows most at the top of hinge. New hinge sits flat with no gap.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Took a closer
Look at the hinges.

Anyone see a problem?
I can press down on the top of the hinge and it will go further down.

Notice that the angles of the top pieces are different.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts