Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
RED SLED
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks. I'm new to owning an SSR and so far it is a real joy. I purchased the car used with 21k on it and an original owner. After I received shipment I elected to take it for a ride and of course I just had to drop the top. I was thinking maybe I was doing something wrong and then after watching the cover come up it appeared to be making contact with one corner of the bed cover.

My question is, is there some kind of adjustment to the bed cover or the lid that needs to be done occasionally so that they clear each other? Also, is there instruction somewhere that will demonstrate or explain how to adjust it?

Thanks in advance!!

Stew in Arizona

·
Premium Member
19,727 Posts
Hello Stew you will find a wealth of info here and a lot of ssr owners in ax to help you just keep checking here

·
Cantankerous SSR CaretakR
2,276 Posts
The roof tonneau and cargo (bed) cover is a rather tricky set of interactions and adjustment. Not sure where you are in AZ, but if anywhere near Phoenix, your best bet would be to stop by and see Mike Moro (Mike in AZ). His website is: Simple Engineering

phone number is: 480-225-2123

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,072 Posts
Hi folks. I'm new to owning an SSR and so far it is a real joy. I purchased the car used with 21k on it and an original owner. After I received shipment I elected to take it for a ride and of course I just had to drop the top. I was thinking maybe I was doing something wrong and then after watching the cover come up it appeared to be making contact with one corner of the bed cover.

My question is, is there some kind of adjustment to the bed cover or the lid that needs to be done occasionally so that they clear each other? Also, is there instruction somewhere that will demonstrate or explain how to adjust it?

Thanks in advance!!

Stew in Arizona
Give me a call tomorrow.....

480-225-2123

Mike

·
RED SLED
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome, Thanks Mike!!

·
Premium Member
1,954 Posts
Roof cover hinges

When you start to retract the top cover does the cover move up first and then tilt to the rear? If not you probably have the original hinges that are prone to bend and bind. Mike in AZ has a set of the new hinges. Contact him.

Jack

·
RED SLED
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It does tilt up and the acts like it's binding on something preventing it from coming up enough to let the cycle complete. I thought it looked like the tonneau cover may be making contact with the the cover as it tries to raise. Now I'm not sure. I have a call in to Mike. Maybe he can get me going in the right direction. I did read through some of the forum articles that explain switches and stuff. It does appear that the passenger side o the cover is also not latching as the front is cocked up slightly.

·
RedHotSSR
605 Posts
03 hinges

Just had my 04 hinges replaced they were actually 03s the factory installed, they NEVER worked properly. Thanks to Jack Pruitt and Arizona Mike I am now "Top Less" on most of my drives.

Also check that the hydraulic lines or other lines are not jamming in the hinges when they are activated. Found mine were also doing that before I was told the hinges were bad. You will need someone to operate the control while you watch.

Sorry for your problem BUT MANY new owners think low miles NO problems. PLEASE check into the other HIGHLY recommended OEM equipment upgrades and replacement parts that other owners have found to be defective. It's a nice vehicle but it does need some parts replaced.

"Long may you run"

·
RED SLED
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A big thanks to Mike in AZ for his help today. He managed not only to help me diagnose the roof issue and part with a set of updated roof brackets but also turned me on to some other of his excellent solutions for the SSR, He also has an amazing blown o6 which has more stuff on it than I'll probably ever be able to recognize!

Thanks to you all for your contributions!

This Forum ROCKS!!

Stew

Reactions: Achias

·
RED SLED
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
RedHotSSR
605 Posts
Family

YOU ARE FAMILY, YOU GOT ALL OUR BROTHERS AND SISTERS RIGHT HERE TO GIVE YOU YOUR FIRST PERMIGRIN WHEN THAT TOP GETS WORKING, AND KEEP YOU GRINNING :party

p.s. Hope Mike gave you the other list of recommended upgrades you should consider ESPECIALLY the transmission bushing replacement.

"Long may you run"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts