Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The idle on my '05 (I just bought used it used, 5100 mi w/no history) is slightly lumpy or a little rough..is this normal ???:eek

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,612 Posts
Both the 03 SSR I had and my current 05 SSR have what I would call a "rough idle". I've reported the issue to every service department and all state it is "normal" for the 5.3L/6.0L engine.

·
Banned
2,141 Posts
Yes it can be, My 2004 Corvette with the LS1 was always lumpy. My SSr I really have not paid attention to however but it only has 410 miles on it anyway. I do know they are kinda gas brand sensitive. I find BP AMOCO ultimate or Shell V-Power to work the best. I would suggest to run it down on fuel and put in a tank full of V-Power. V-Power is a "Top Tier" gasoline and these have the most detergent. I have also found an STP product called "Complete Engine Cleaner" added to a full tank of fuel to also work well at purging injectors and smoothing things out. :)

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool guys, sounds like things are fine. I'll try the Shell and some injector cleaner too. THANKS

·
Registered
166 Posts
No

Normal its not.....since new and driven long and short never a rough idle and ive built my share of radical big block engines mine is smooooooth thru and thru except for that stupid torque management bog on WOT just had it out today.......after sitting a month lit right up............ran perfect get yours to the dealer and bitch Best of luck..................

·
Registered
357 Posts
I traded a toyota tacoma witha 3.4 v-6 in on my SSR and noticed right away the difference between the v-8 and v-6. The tacoma was much smoother than my SSR is at idle, but I don't feel this is a flaw or a problem, just 390 hp waiting to go!

·
Banned
2,141 Posts
SSROB said:
Don't All Ssrs Run On Prem Fuel? I Thought That Was A Must.
Yes and No. Listen to the CD that came with your truck. It states regular can be used but power will be reduced.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Siphon

Its the best gas ya all can siphon outta the neighbors FORD or ????? just gotta hope he aint as cheap as HMMMMMMMMM:jester

·
Banned
2,141 Posts
I just had the SSr out last night and tried to pay attention to the idle this time. Indeed it is what I would call "lumpy". I would however since the truck is under warranty have a Dealer go over it just to be sure.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmmm, now I'm a little confused...Lumpy or not ???? Mine was just purchased from a dealer used so it should have been checked out (yeah right..:banghead) Oh well it's not bad and the truck runs great otherwise. When I took it to the Chevy dealer for a panel replace I met a good service mgr..I'll have him check it out next week..:cool

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hello,
I took my 03 and a friend to look at an 04 with 7k miles on it at a used dealership lot. When he started it up the engine was very rough to the point you could see the chassey shake.

I didnt know what to think ? It scared me as mine has never done that.

He bought a New Honda Goldwing insted :rolleyes:
Cheers !
Pretzel~

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
SSROB said:
Don't All Ssrs Run On Prem Fuel? I Thought That Was A Must.
The 03 and 04's run on regular....

·
Registered
164 Posts
Lumpy?

CashSax said:
Hmmm, now I'm a little confused...Lumpy or not ????
Depends on what you define lumpy as... Mine idled with just a little "miss" about every 3-4 seconds when I got it new... Took it to the dealer and they checked everything out and could not get it to idle silky smooth as I am used to with my Chrysler LHS. They said it was the best they could do... I'm not worried about it. In fact, it seems to have worked itself out now that I have 23k miles on it, I really don't notice it any more. If your lumpy is worse than that, I'd take it in and complain until they fixed it. This is not supposed to "lope" like one of those bored out recammed, juiced up hot rods... :jester

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I followed the suggestion of filling with premium and injector cleaner. I hadn't really gassed it up fully, just added to whatever the truck had in it when I got it last week..(coulda had reg in it I guess..:eek )..well, I'm drivin' a couple days now and the truck seems fine..still not as silky as my '03 'Bird was at idle:sleep ..but what the h*ll it's a Hot-Rod, right :cool

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I hope so wildcat..I use premium gas always if possible, I seem to favor 76 HiPo..Shell was recommended too. This thing runs so strong who could tell anyway..:rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
PrecisionGT said:
Just got my SSR and it too idles a bit rough. Any one know what the idle speed rpm should be at?
You need to post year and transmission type for comparable numbers.
My 2003 auto is idling under 500 rpm now and is very smooth.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts