Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased an '04 with 23,000 miles. Seems like it rides rough and I really feel any bumps, etc. in the steering wheel. Is this just what driving a stock SSR feels like? I would appreciate any comments. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
Just purchased an '04 with 23,000 miles. Seems like it rides rough and I really feel any bumps, etc. in the steering wheel. Is this just what driving a stock SSR feels like? I would appreciate any comments. Thanks.
I believe that if you install the following two items it will improve the ride and handling:

Stiffening Plate

SSR 4-bolt Rear Crossmember

Rope

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,392 Posts
Give us an idea where you are and maybe someone will meet you at a convenient location and give you a ride to see what you should expect, or you could take them for a ride to see if they have a theory about your ride.

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,269 Posts
What are you comparing the ride to? There are times I think it is a rough ride compared to my Avalon, but then when I compare to my Civic it's not that bad. Didn't notice anything on the test drive or was the "new" factor overpowering?

It's a 14 year old convertible that weighs 5000 pounds. There are some small improvements to be made to stiffen the chassis, some different valved shocks might help the ride. but probably not a whole lot you can do unless there are some major issues with the truck, and with so low miles I would imagine it is not the case.

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 Pac Blue 6spd
1,008 Posts
I believe that if you install the following two items it will improve the ride and handling:

Stiffening Plate

SSR 4-bolt Rear Crossmember

Rope
Agreed. Then replace the shocks, they are 14yrs old by now. The Bilsteins on the Simple Engineering site are upgrades from the OEM versions and will greatly improve the quality of the ride. More taught and less bouncy, and “rolly” from the rear end. I say this after having replaced the shocks after doing the above upgrades, which will take the shake out of the SSR, and then doing a few more things, and was still searching how to improve the ride quality. The shock were a VERY noticeable upgrade for me.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I put on the 4 bolt rear cross member that I got off a Trail Blazer and it made a difference. I am doing struts and shocks next to improve my ride. But my miles are up there.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great feedback from all of you. I am in Indio, Ca until the end of April and then on to Akron, OH until the end of Oct.

From you are saying I think it is part me getting used to it and I think the suggested upgrades will help.

Thanks again everyone.

Great Forum.

Really enjoy driving my R. Just sold my 55 Chevy. I liked it a lot but think I like this better.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
The SSR suspension is not a squishy ride like it would if it was just coil springs and A arms. The rear is coil springs but there is not a lot of suspension travel on either the front or rear. The tires are wide and while they are not really short sidewalls they do have a little give to them which makes them good for ride quality but they don't give the truck that top heavy feel like a tall side wall does.

One other thing I found to be different was that SSR does not squat in the rear when you stand on the gas pedal. It is more of a smooth even take off.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,378 Posts
DenSu, I think replacing the OEM plastic Radiator support with the steel one from Mike, Simple Engineering, will make a difference in the feel of the steering wheel. Then re Align the front end to "Dicktator"s specs!! Check the Library for A LOT of information!!
And---Welcome from Forney Texas!!! you are on the BEST FORUM ever! BUT-----Consider going to "Tools" in the red banner, click on "User CP" go to "Your Profile" then click "Edit Your Details". Then, whenever you "post" it will show in the left column under your name, like the rest of us, and we will know where you are and what you drive. Then if you have a problem, someone close by might be able to help out.

Nick & Kathy

·
Premium Member
35,699 Posts
Welcome from Canada! :cheers

1st thing to do is check your tires, they could be the original tires with that mileage! (my 2 cents)

:black:
:purple:
Krazy Ed

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
like new or near new

I am fortunate that it came with tires like new. Thanks.
Remember, like new and near new are two very different terms. Look at the manufacture date on the sidewall. Old tires that are like new = dangerous tires and should be replaced.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,065 Posts
I would suggest that you have a knowledgeable shop take a look at your truck and inspect the front suspension. After 14 years there may be a deficiency cropping up, even though there are only a few miles on the truck.

You are close to one of our SSR family members that owns a shop in Redlands. Contact Robert at Salerno’s Servicenter in Redlands. It’s about an hour away from you, just off the 10. They will take really good care of you and give you an honest read on your truck. Robert and Elaine are great people......

Regards,

Mike

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,065 Posts
Thanks so much Mike for that contact in Redlands.
You’re welcome.

I think Robert has his son doing most of the business nowadays, but he and Elaine are still very connected.

We have had a couple of “Technical Sessions” at their shop through the years. SSRs are still a somewhat common sight in their shop.

Tell them that you have heard that Italians make the best mechanics.....:jester

Mike

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,049 Posts
The date is 2015. Thanks.

For those that don't know that would be the 20th week of 2015. (About the end of May)

·
Daily Driver
8,941 Posts
Auggie, are you assuming he's giving you what he read on the tire and not saying he discovered they were made in the year 2015? ;)

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,378 Posts
You’re welcome.

Tell them that you have heard that Italians make the best mechanics.....:jester

Mike
Ha! Ha! I resemble that remark-----but I'm prejudice!!

Nick Ventura

1 - 20 of 37 Posts