Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again guys!

*sigh* everyone around me insists that my C6 Corvette is just the hottest thing since sliced bread, yet a month and a half ago when on our way to a concert I parked the Vette across from an Aqua Blur SSR at the Springfield Metro... And the hankering for an SSR came back again in force.

My girlfriend tried to tell me the Vette was way "hotter/cooler" but I defended the SSR heavily, insisting they're two different kinds of cool, like James Bond vs. James Dean. I was actually surprised she didn't like the SSR better from the start as her personal style is very hot-rods and pinup-girls influenced. (Cherries and hotrod flames abound) - Note: She finally started coming around when at the DC auto show she sat in the silver, top-down SSR on display and admitted how cool it was. And comfortable!

Anyways, it's also no secret that an SSR would be less expensive on the ol' wallet - at least the payment would be, the monthly insurance and gas costs would be a little higher. I'm no longer afraid of having another even though my last one turned into a buyback - I think the odds would be in my favor this time.

I want to get you guys' input on this: not whether to get one, I'm wrestling with that myself, but what it would take to get the one I want the way I want it. (Billy Mork gave me an idea of where my offer should be when I come across one I want, but I have addons to consider.)

- I'd get an 05 for the heavy discounts.
- Asphalt black, of course
- 1SB package (whatever gets me heated seats and silver running boards)
- Bed compartment trim IF it is weatherproof (I do want to run open bed sometimes, if not all the time)
- Auto trans
- Chrome wheels

Additional:

- Ghost flames: just along the leading edge of the hood and maybe along the front fenders. Possibly just the outlines, even. Any estimates from you guys WITH flames?

- Scoop hood: I think this is MPD made - how much for the hood, painted and installed?

- Stereo upgrade - either full-blown to something like the AVIC-D1 with Nav, XM and rear camera, or at least to something i can plug my iPod into. Prices for install? ease of install? I know it's damn impossible on the Vette.

Fun Stuff:

- Anybody put a suicide knob on?
- Any cool auto shift knobs out there? The Flameball looks cool but the button is so tiny it looks strange
- Any advice for how much aesthetic modification is too much, esp on the interior? I can think of a billion little accessories that would be cool alone, but may be too much together.
- Is there any place to get the rear silver bar that was on the concept but cut for production? Any reasonably similar aftermarket idea instead?
Anybody swap out the mirrors for the peep kind on the concept?

Sorry for all the questions, when I had mine before I never got the chance to add stuff, and I'm really trying to think this through carefully, because hey, I do still like my Vette =0)

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
Sounds like you have answered your own question, buy it, drive it, modify it!
I have seen some cool sucide knobs search the net!!!
Welcome home again!:yesnod

·
Banned
2,141 Posts
Indeed thats where I was several months ago. Then there were the .... YOU TRADED your Vette for THAT???? What is that??? or How are you going to live without a Corvette?? My answer Very Well Thank You! I Love my SSr and there has not been one day that I have been sorry I got her. :thumbs

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Oh wow there's no comparison. While the Vette is "cool" and an accomplished car, there IS a stigma attached to it. Not judging, and not saying that's good or bad...

The SSR just spews originality without looking like you bought one because it is "the thing to buy". Again no disrespect to Vette owners or you, but I think you get the idea and know exactly what I mean.

Also, the C6 leaves alot to be desired. The angled squared off look, combined with the front end, those horrible door handle cutouts, the third brake light bubble, the hard plastic interior, and the big giant squared fuel door with the 1/4" gaps around it...well, lets just say you're not going to miss it when you move to an SSR.

Get it. They will soon pass into history. There will be greater quantities and better-built and absolutely better looking Vettes for decades to come. (Wait, maybe not...this is GM we're talking about...they might kill it like the Firebird/TransAm/Camaro for no apparent reason.)

For me, I'm going to get an SSR. I'll have way too many cars, but I can't let this one pass me by. Unless of course, I find that Chevrolet Citation 4 door in brown that I have been craving as it is the pinacle of automotive style.

I think you already know what you're going to do.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
ggoat!!! said:
Oh wow there's no comparison. I find that Chevrolet Citation 4 door in brown that I have been craving as it is the pinacle of automotive style.

Yeah I want one too in baby ---- brown.

:banghead :smash :banghead :smash :banghead :smash​

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
Give up a VETTE for an SSR

That has to be one sad day to sell a C6 or any Corvette for a SSR, Corvette is a life style. Were SSR are a happing, Just dam glad I can have both.:jester :jester :thumbs :thumbs

·
Banned
2,141 Posts
mcvett2 said:
That has to be one sad day to sell a C6 or any Corvette for a SSR, Corvette is a life style. Were SSR are a happing, Just dam glad I can have both.:jester :jester :thumbs :thumbs
Don't miss the Corvette at all. Its way over priced for what you get.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have to say, being able to drive both Vettes and SSR's on a daily basis, the vette is a great car and in my opinion well worth the money you pay when compared with performance and style you get for the money. They did a comparison with a z06 Vette, Viper, Porche 911 and one of the lower end Ferrari's
the Vette was right with them all in all category's, even rated higher than the others in quite a few areas...all for 20k less than the next closest in price...(Viper). However...nothing beats the fun and joy of owning A SSR...You just get more smiles, more thumbs up and more compliments and questions about this great piece of automotive design. Guess it just comes down to what you want, Vette's that people see all over the place, nice car, great handling and power. Or the SSR with just so much WOW appeal that people must be going to the hospital daily with neck injuries and jaw injuries from trying to see more of these great vehicles. To each his/her own. I for one hope to see/hear of you back in the driver seat of your next SSR...:thumbs

·
Registered
46 Posts
vette or ssr ?

I sold my corvette to get my ssr. I wish I could have kept the vette, but there's only so much room in the garage. The ssr seems to have a higher "fun factor" than the vette had. My wife likes the ssr more(can pack full size luggage instead of a duffle bag). The ssr gets twice the attention, and it's more fun to customize!:thumbs

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks for the votes of confidence guys - like I said, it's less a question of "should I do it" and more a question of, "If and/or when I do, what should I expect to go thru to get the rest of this stuff done"?

so - I must ask some more: Ghost flames? Scooped hood? better stereo? Gimme your experiences and prices/places to get them done.

I'm just biding my time, here =0) I'm nearly sure I'll succumb at some point.

EDIT: btw, Vette guys - yep, I know, I had a C5 and now this C6, with an SSR in between that happened to turn into a buyback - I love the Vette, almost all Vettes, I really do, and spend lots of time at Corvetteforum as well; but something keeps drawing me back to the SSR....

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had a load 05 SSR from January 05 until December 05 and traded it for a loaded 06, C6 convertible. Though the SSR was a fun vehicle it was just not the vette (this is my 4th). The vette is by far a better vehicle build quality and all. The problem with the SSR is that you have to add so many things to them to make them what you want and you still don't have any resale value.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I know our SSrs dont sell like hot cakes. I have been tracking the sales on the web from some of the dealers in my area and little by little they are starting to move off the showroom floor.
Since they have not issued any rebates on the 06s, which Im sure will come. By me in West Palm Beach they are still giving the 6K off 05s.
So I guess what Im saying is you better buy now or wait till there all gone and then you have to buy used.

·
Banned
2,141 Posts
SMKN04SSR said:
I have to say, being able to drive both Vettes and SSR's on a daily basis, the vette is a great car and in my opinion well worth the money you pay when compared with performance and style you get for the money. They did a comparison with a z06 Vette, Viper, Porche 911 and one of the lower end Ferrari's
the Vette was right with them all in all category's, even rated higher than the others in quite a few areas...all for 20k less than the next closest in price...(Viper). However...nothing beats the fun and joy of owning A SSR...You just get more smiles, more thumbs up and more compliments and questions about this great piece of automotive design. Guess it just comes down to what you want, Vette's that people see all over the place, nice car, great handling and power. Or the SSR with just so much WOW appeal that people must be going to the hospital daily with neck injuries and jaw injuries from trying to see more of these great vehicles. To each his/her own. I for one hope to see/hear of you back in the driver seat of your next SSR...:thumbs
The only problem I see with the current Corvette is that its no longer affordable at $60-$75K a pop. Its out of most peoples range no mattter how good it is.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I drove a C5 for 7 years (2000 and a 2003) before I bought my SSR two weeks ago. Yesterday while I was at lunch a guy took a picture of my truck.
In 7 years no one ever took a picture of my 'vette.(except me)
Case closed. :thumbs :thumbs :thumbs :thumbs

·
Registered
132 Posts
2 cars I think I would never buy........a vette and a beemer(BMW). Funny how people have different views. It would be boring times if we didn't have different points of view.

All somehow connects to perceived self image??????

·
Registered
665 Posts
halifax said:
2 cars I think I would never buy........a vette and a beemer(BMW). Funny how people have different views. It would be boring times if we didn't have different points of view.

All somehow connects to perceived self image??????
You hit it right on the head. We can't see ourselves driving the SSR (unless you look in a storefront window) The fun in driving any "cool car" is having others looking at you and wishing they had one too.:) :jester :) :jester

1 - 19 of 19 Posts