Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be making the road trip from California to St Louis next month and will be doing as much of route 66 as we can with in the week we have to do it in. Any suggestions of things to see or places to skip over. Places to eat at or stay at, that are not chain places that we can do anytime. Hope to find some of the hidden treasures of small town diners or old single level motels or what they used to call the motor lodges. I want to let my 14 year old daughter see what it was like to travel when I was a kid and all of the old road side attractions that were quirky but drew you in to stop and see.

Also if anyone knows of good photo stops that will remind her of the trip years later.

·
Spirited driver!
1,743 Posts
An iconic stop for me is Peggy Sue's Diner just outside of Barstow, CA. Been there since 1954. Great food in an always busy 50's-style diner and a good photo stop for the R. It is 3 miles north of Highway 40 (current version of 66 in that area) about 10 miles east of Barstow. I stopped there about 2 months ago on the way home form the Laughlin, NV gathering.

Attachments

·
Ex SoCal Nut
9,962 Posts
Stop at Mr D Z's in Kingman, Az, right off the I-40 for the Best home made Root Beer float around. '50's style diner on the Mother Road.

·
Just a Canadian Fanatic!!
2004 SSR Ultra Violet
43,600 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,227 Posts
Conoco station Shamrock, TX
Cadillac Ranch just west of Amarillo, TX.
Route 66 Auto Museum in Santa Rosa, MN
Standin’-On-A-Corner-In-Winslow, Arizona (Kinsley & 2nd) watch out I have heard a Ford truck is parked there (more likely broke down)

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Wife and I did this last year. Do yourself a favor and stay in some of the old Rte 66 hotels. Much cheaper and way more nostalgic than brand new hotels on the interstate. We stayed in wigwam hotel in Holbrook AZ, teepee hotel with old cars parked at each room that was just to cool for words. Walked 1/4 mile down to old steak joint. We were so disappointed in all the places closed though. We took as much road as we could without getting on interstate. Go to Seligman AZ for burger. It was a trip we will forever cherish. Don't be in a hurry and stop everywhere you can. Some little places are a tad out of the way but worth every minute of it. Good luck and enjoy your cruise...wish we could join you.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
We went to an old ghost town called Two Guns AZ. Nothing but ruins but we spent several hours there. Oatman is a must see also. Careful the donkeys do bite. Oh yeah we camped a couple of times at some old camp grounds and as old as I am it was still fun.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I am planning to drive route 66 with a friend in my 70 c/10 from Chicago to California in early fall. I am going to subscribe to this thread for suggestions.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
You know, we should probably plan a trip with exact dates and see if we can get SSR's along the way to do a day or two. I might try to put that together if I get super bored.

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
don't miss the barber shop/collectibles store in Seligman. The owner Angel, is the person who lobbied Washington to establish rt 66 as an historical landmark. The creator of the movie "Cars", by Pixar, interviewed Angel, and used the story of this town as his city Radiator Springs. Don't miss this place.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,315 Posts
You need to be sure that you take the section of road between Oatman, AZ and Kingman. Along the way, you can stop at the old Cool Springs gas station for a cold ice cream sandwich. Go inside and check out the small memorabilia wall and read the story... Cool Springs on Route 66

Regards,

Mike

·
Ralph and Ruth
2004 SSR
915 Posts
For Sure

You need to be sure that you take the section of road between Oatman, AZ and Kingman. Along the way, you can stop at the old Cool Springs gas station for a cold ice cream sandwich. Go inside and check out the small memorabilia wall and read the story... Cool Springs on Route 66

Regards,

Mike

I agree! Oatman, AZ is a definite stop! Try to arrive there in the AM when the resident donkeys arrive. The day we were there, was the only day in months that they didn't come into town (so the residents said). There was also a staged "shoot out" in main street.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,315 Posts
In 2007, Debbie and I took a section of Route 66 in Oklahoma that is referred to as the “Ribbon Road”. It is located between Miami and Afton, not fare off of I-44 in Oklahoma. This is a “must see, must travel” section for anyone doing the Route 66 trek. Here’s a link: https://www.theroute-66.com/ribbon-road-us66.html

All my best,

Mike

·
Slingshot Rules!
77,406 Posts
Over the years I have experienced Route 66 a number of times and can honestly say . . . NEVER DISAPPOINTED.

My advice, Stlhotrod . . . schedule as many Route 66 miles as possible with as much time as possible.

Good Luck and, hopefully, the "Picture Posting Fiasco" will be resolved by the time your return.

! :surprise: ! >:) ! :surprise: ! >:) ! :surprise: !

·
The Good Lookin One
645 Posts
The Rock Cafe

Be sure to have a meal at the Rock Cafe in Stroud OK. The owner is the inspiration for Sally in the Disney Cars movies.

·
Premium Member
7,438 Posts
If you want a good read ....... https://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f6/route-66-a-39954/
Here’s a good website ... https://www.theroute-66.com/state.html
I do know that some of the places we stopped at are now closed, the midpoint cafe is a great place for pies, the BIG TEXAN steak ranch for awesome and HUGE steaks!!
The best place for us was White Fence Farm in Joiletville Illinois
ttarob are you talking about Joliet, Illinois ??? He said he was going from California to St. Louis ... that would still leave nearly 300 miles to Chicago where Route 66 began. There are several places of Route 66 History between Central Illinois and Chicago. tennesseecozydog :ssr

·
Just a Canadian Fanatic!!
2004 SSR Ultra Violet
43,600 Posts
ttarob are you talking about Joliet, Illinois ??? He said he was going from California to St. Louis ... that would still leave nearly 300 miles to Chicago where Route 66 began. There are several places of Route 66 History between Central Illinois and Chicago. tennesseecozydog :ssr
I was saying it just in case they got that far!!:wink2: added incentive!!
And yes it’s Joliet/Romeoville ... I twas having a brain fart!!

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Cool Springs

Regards,

Mike
We camped there on the fun run.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Oatman

I agree! Oatman, AZ is a definite stop! Try to arrive there in the AM when the resident donkeys arrive. The day we were there, was the only day in months that they didn't come into town (so the residents said). There was also a staged "shoot out" in main street.
Oatman on the Fun Run

Attachments

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A little back story on our trip that will make you guys laugh at the thinking of a young child. About 5-6 years ago when my daughter was only 9 years old we were watching tv and the PBS channel had a story on route 66. We watched it together and she said that looks like fun and we should do that in one of the old cars.

So I said we should and we need to make plans. She asked where it started and where it ended and set out to find more on it. She came back with it starting in Chicago was great because there is an American Girl Doll store there that she wanted to visit. Now for a 9 year old girl that was high on priority list of things important to see and do. The fact that it was not a part of route 66 didn't matter to her. She also went on to tell me that there was another one in Texas we could stop at while on the trip. At that point in her life American Girl Dolls were about as important to her as my old cars are to me.

We watched Cars and I told her that was based on route 66 so it got her more excited to do it. Well time and life gets in the way and we hadn't made it till this year. She is now 14 and American Girl dolls are no longer an important thing in her life so we get to skip that. She has been researching what she wants to see and one of the biggest things she wants to see is the Cadillac Ranch and be able to paint her name and the date on a car.

I remember the trips I went on as a kid and would see the billboards for all the crazy tourist traps and think when I get older and take my kids on trips we are going to stop at these places just to see them. My vacations as a kid were always going to some body of water so my dad could see if there were any fish in that body of water. And he was on a mission to get there and find out. I saw many bill boards and wondered were there really 2 headed goats and snakes, how big is the biggest ball of string. Kids now days don't see this, because now so many trips are more go to the air port get searched there and then fly to were ever and fly back. The road trip is a dying adventure. Seeing the barns with Meramec Caverns painted on the roofs, or billboards with so many miles to Wall Drug. Some of you will know what these things are and some may not but it was what I grew up with.

Keep the suggestions coming as we are going to finalize the plans next weekend and then we are off on our adventure.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts