Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I thought it was time to test my Rev limiter now that I have about 1500 miles on the truck. It seemed to pull real nice to around 6.5k or so in 2nd gear, then is just fell down like it was turned off for about a half second or less. There was no pop or bang when it relit as I backed off in the next millisecond or so. I wonder if the shutoff was fuel (injector turnoff) or throtle body vane or ignition or all the above? I have to think the injectors get cutoff at least, as I had no backfire from unburnt fuel when it relit. Anybody know what shuts down at the programed redline?

The limiter worked pretty nice, so if you ever miss third gear when your in a hurry, and with this shifter, you may miss third someday, knowing the limiter is there is a good feeling.

Doug

·
Registered
220 Posts
Fuel

Pushrods4ever said:
Well, I thought it was time to test my Rev limiter now that I have about 1500 miles on the truck. It seemed to pull real nice to around 6.5k or so in 2nd gear, then is just fell down like it was turned off for about a half second or less. There was no pop or bang when it relit as I backed off in the next millisecond or so. I wonder if the shutoff was fuel (injector turnoff) or throtle body vane or ignition or all the above? I have to think the injectors get cutoff at least, as I had no backfire from unburnt fuel when it relit. Anybody know what shuts down at the programed redline?

The limiter worked pretty nice, so if you ever miss third gear when your in a hurry, and with this shifter, you may miss third someday, knowing the limiter is there is a good feeling.

Doug
I believe it is fuel oriented...my vet used the fuel pump. But anyway, it is a wonderful savior for engines. Back in the "old days" we just wound them up until the tach was right...we missed a few looks! :cool

·
Resident Rocket Scientist
11,997 Posts
NOt sure if it's fuel or spark but is more of a 'soft' rev limiter in that you can hold the limit rpm versus the on/off type with a 100 rpm or so drop. Experienced the event autocrossing. They had a nice slalom and I would be riding the rev limiter and the end of the slalom - on on/off just hold the limit rpm.
As far as no pops, I would not expect any, even with the ignition type since it is not a full cutoff and the cats would take care of any residual fuel.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
The PCM in the 03 / 04 models shuts off fuel and spark at different points and under different conditions. Conditions can include hig rpm OR loss of traction OR mandate from "torque management". Both fuel and spark shutoff are adjustable via software.

I assume the 05 / 06s are simialr, once you get the right CAN-compatible software to acces the 05 / 06 PCM.

Jim G

1 - 4 of 4 Posts