Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only learned that SSR's didn't come with spare tires 2 weeks ago, when visited the dealer for the single purpose of seeing if I fit comfortably in it, the wife liked it ........etc
I thought the dealer was BS'ing me about the spars... Im thinking..How does a manufacturer NOT supply a spare ??
Once I digested that reality and dismissed it as a deal breaker i considered "Run Flats"
4X'+$$ over the Eagle GT's I'm presenting running...
I'm curious if you guys are opting for spares?
Doing the fix-a flat routine ?
Run flats ??
Or
Nothing.. And opting for "roadside service"
Sorry for all the questions :grin2:
Thanks Ed

·
The Susan Lucci of ROTM
2004, lowered, custom paint
2,308 Posts
Unfortunately...the roadside assistance chose me last week! There is, I believe, another option of moving the battery and getting a spare under the rear end. I'm sure the normal group of know it all's will chime in shortly. I'm still weighing the options but let me tell you, the permagrin you get with every purchase rules above any tire inconvenience.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,679 Posts
I only learned that SSR's didn't come with spare tires 2 weeks ago, when visited the dealer for the single purpose of seeing if I fit comfortably in it, the wife liked it ........etc
I thought the dealer was BS'ing me about the spars... Im thinking..How does a manufacturer NOT supply a spare ??
Once I digested that reality and dismissed it as a deal breaker i considered "Run Flats"
4X'+$$ over the Eagle GT's I'm presenting running...
I'm curious if you guys are opting for spares?
Doing the fix-a flat routine ?
Run flats ??
Or
Nothing.. And opting for "roadside service"
Sorry for all the questions :grin2:
Thanks Ed
Go in search box and type in "Spare Tire"you will find many threads about spare tire options. You won't find a Run Flat with proper diameter to run safely. The Search Box does wonders.

·
Premium Member
5,679 Posts
Unfortunately...the roadside assistance chose me last week! There is, I believe, another option of moving the battery and getting a spare under the rear end. I'm sure the normal group of know it all's will chime in shortly. I'm still weighing the options but let me tell you, the permagrin you get with every purchase rules above any tire inconvenience.
I don't believe there are any "Know it All's" on this site just fellow owners trying to help each other.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Mike in AZ, Simple-Engineering has a Spare Tire Kit.
I checked for Run-Flat also. Michelin (Zero Pressure Tire a.k.a Run-Flat)
had the correct sizes but were marketed as Porsche Tires. Unavailable when I purchased so I went with the Michelin Sport, Fix-a-Flat and Roadside Service.

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
I live a long ways out from a tire shop like 50 miles that would even have a size that i need i do the AAA thing be aware there are different levels of service so i pay for the service that will cover 100 miles of towing.
Mike does sell a spare tire kit and several folks have installed those my deal don't let not having a spare stop you from having fun.
Wish you luck and many miles of good time
frank

·
Premium Member
2006 Pacific Blue 6 speed Custom
3,317 Posts
Maybe I have been just lucky but have only had one flat in my 44 years of driving. I was also surprised that a spare was not an option but it doesn't keep me from enjoying my Permagrin! I will likely, eventually get the spare tire kit from Mike's Simple Engineering but until that day, I drive the "Hot Rod" with No Fear and a bottle of run flat!
:grin2:

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,898 Posts
First of all a lot of high end cars do not come with spares anymore such as corvettes, special models of mustangs and other HOTRODS, due to weight and space problems. Most of us carry a spare either in the back or the under carrier from simple engineering. Another couple of problems 19 inch in front and 20 inch in rear so you need to buy a 17 in Tahoe wheel with a specific size tire to work for front or back, and a wrench and jack etc. Do some checking before you jump on this. If you are all dressed up and don't want to get dirty even with all the right equipment you still probably want Roadside Assistance. Good luck and a big hearty welcome.

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Just remember run flat tire ride a lot harder than standard tires.
:wink2:
That is a very correct statement. Having owned multiple Vettes, my last one had those damn run flats. Very harsh ride as compared with non (run flats). Adding run flats to big wheels and low profile tires makes for not a nice comfortable ride.

It seems from some replies, that there are those that gotta have the "spare" sitting back there (just in case).............:nerd:

I'm with the AAA crowd...........Carry the card in your wallet and make the call if by chance you have a flat.:smile2:

·
Premium Member
2,425 Posts
conundrum

I have a spare and Mike's kit. The problem with a flat is what do you do with the flat tire if you change it. If you have an empty trunk then you are ok.

Calling AAA works. Finding a replacement tire in inventory where you get towed to may not.

I put in a TPMS so I hope it will let me know before a tire is wrecked.

Dave

·
High Plains Roadster
222 Posts
You guys are scaring me. I haven't had a flat in decades but don't relish the thought of changing one on our wild Wyoming roads.

More and more vehicles are doing away with a spare to save weight and free up space and also since they are often never used.

With the different sized tires on the SSR, spare tires are even more complicated than most vehicles.

I noticed the bottle of sealant in my '05 SSR kit expired years ago. I kept it anyway since it may prove in a pinch to be OK.

Just in case, I bought a large additional new can of fix-a-flat from the store to keep as well.

Maybe AAA isn't such a bad idea.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My buddy has a Vette with no spare but he has Run Flats. $2K+ for rubber but I'm not sure what the other cars that don't offer spares are running.
Yes, the front and rear are different sizes but I can't see an issue if you take it slow and get things taken care of ASAP. Just like the Donut spare.
I guess it comes down to a personal decision. I'm leaning towards a spare on the roof and AAA :grin2:

·
Premium Member
2,794 Posts
I have the AAA service for 100 miles. I also carry a tire plug kit and a pair of side cuts.

That way I could remove anything from the tire with the side cuts, install a plug, cut plug somewhat flush and then re-inflate with factory inflator. I have plugged tires for years, ever since I ran a two bay service station in the 80's.
Plugs work well in tread - I would only drive to a tire store at slow speed with one in sidewall, or visible damage to sidewall - either one the tire is unsafe but should get you to tire store with a plug and then only if AAA couldn't get to me. Also of note: It is always best to check inside the tire (break the beads) for signs of damage.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts