Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,438 Posts
My experience with Run flats isn't the best, much harsher ride.
I would rather carry a spare.
:|
I totally agree. Over the years, I've owned three Vettes. The last one was an 2001 convertible with run flats. Worst handling and ride compared to my much older Vettes as well as most any other ride I've had.

We've hashed the (carry a spare) scenario over and over. Those of you that feel ya gotta carry one....go for it.

I'd much rather have a smoother ride and handling sportscar and in my experience, you can't do that using run flats. You're already dealing with larger wheels to accommodate larger brake discs and to corral all that size of wheel/tire, they have to be "low profile" and thus a much harsher ride to start with............adding run flats just makes it even worse.:frown2:

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
2,006 Posts
We had runflats on our 2006 Corvette. They were terrible for ride and noise and wore out quickly. We replaced with conventional tires at half the price and a 12V compressor, can of Slime and AAA.

·
Genuinely SSR Obsessed
8,544 Posts
2018-10-23-21-14-10-330557401.jpeg

From the get-go run flat tires were a gimmick. Owners rebelled against the "little do-nuts" when they first came out so next try was the run flats. This way (like the little donuts) vehicle weight was reduced to help car manufacturers meet CAFE gas mileage standards.

I do carry a spare tire but I also carry a well known wallet option called the AAA card!! - :grin2:

===============
David :black:
images-53.jpeg - Next Wednesday is Halloween!!!

·
Premium Member
9,381 Posts
I looked at run flats when looking for replacement tires. Fairly good availability in 18s and 19s, but I couldn't find anything close to the sizes we need in 19s and 20s.The 19s are all designed for rear wheel use, and the 20s don't exist.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
2006 Pacific Blue times 23198 & 21474
28,550 Posts
Reactions: tennesseecozydog

·
Premium Member
2,438 Posts
How about this:
Rand McNally - Tire Pressure Monitoring System (Bluetooth) - Best Buy Deal of the Day $ 19.99
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/rand-mcnally-tire-pressure-monitoring-system/5580447.p?skuId=5580447
:smile2:

The set you are showing here is very similar to the FOBO set I have on my Harley Street Glide.

They work great, but a couple of differences on sets like these are:

The batteries are contained within the valve cap. They are quick and easy to swap out, but do not last more than a few months before needing replacement. In addition, the batteries being within the cap makes the overall valve cap kinda BIG compared to a stock valve cap.

Only a problem on the front tire of a Harley as many are baggers and one cannot even see the valve stem on the rear wheel. (They're super to have on a Harley for that very reason...don't have to remove the saddlebags, etc. to crawl down and rotate wheel till stem is accessible in order to check and/or add air to tire.:frown2:

Those big valve stems hanging off the wheels of the rims on an SSR might not be so appealing to many.:wink2:

·
RedHotSSR
605 Posts
Spare

Thank you for all the replies. I will carry a spare.
Like you I was concerned about being on the road without a spare tire. I carried road side assistance But without a spare they could only tow my R. Bought a 20" used rim and tire, the comfort factor was well worth the money.

Attachments

·
Genuinely SSR Obsessed
8,544 Posts
....and a 17" with the proper 6-bolt pattern can be temporarely used on front or back AND give you more room in the bed!! - :nerd:

~~~ images-40.jpeg ~~~​

==============
David :black:
2018-09-19-19-26-49--237748565.png

·
Daily Driver
8,958 Posts
SOME 17 inch, be sure to put it on your truck to make sure the design/construction of the wheel will clear the brakes, especially if you have caliper covers.

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
On the paper work that came with the caliper cover,it says 18" rim required to clear the covers.I'm looking for a rim now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts