Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of an aftermarket fan for the engine. I find that mine runs a little hot and the temperature really rises if I sit still for a little. Definitely not a parade vehicle.

·
Lost In The 50's
1,156 Posts
Here's Your Answer

Mike of Simple Engineering is the man to contact. About all of us have his aftermarket fan. Makes a world of difference.

Simple Engineering

·
Premium Member
9,564 Posts
Do a search...lots of info on cooling...
Add Mike's fan moves 3 times the air...
Your fan will fail..much cheaper than the factory fan... change the turn on turn off temperature of the fan at your first opportunity. Last but not least you can force the fan on by using the ac. In the recirclate position..

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,347 Posts
Mike of Simple Engineering is the man to contact. About all of us have his aftermarket fan. Makes a world of difference.

Simple Engineering
Above is the best suggestion but:

If you click T00LS in the red bar above and then Advanced Search You can then search for Threads started by Mike in AZ and put Fans in the Key words box Titles Only you will find some interesting explanation about your problem.

·
Premium Member
8,293 Posts
I had my 03 (original fan) in a one hour plus stop and go parade so I watched the temp closely. It would go up to 210 degrees which is considered normal as I understand it. It was cold out but I turned on the AC and it came right down to 190 degrees.
I plan to get one of Mikes when mine finally dies.

·
Premium Member
7,279 Posts
Antique, I used to have to do this before I got Mike's Fans ... turn on the AC and the fan on 4 and the temp would come right down. Not so now that I have a "pusher" fan and a regular one, the temp stays around 210. Bob Alexander :ssr

·
RED SLED
439 Posts
Try a new thermostat from Mike FIRST

Does anyone know of an aftermarket fan for the engine. I find that mine runs a little hot and the temperature really rises if I sit still for a little. Definitely not a parade vehicle.
Before you do anything else, install an updated thermostat from Mike at Simple Engineering. Completely solved my heat problem at idle. Make sure to use the GM anti-freeze when you refill it.

·
Premium Member
7,279 Posts
Before you do anything else, install an updated thermostat from Mike at Simple Engineering. Completely solved my heat problem at idle. Make sure to use the GM anti-freeze when you refill it.
Hey Stew in Arizona, I'm curious ... why GM anti-freeze ??? I changed mine over to "the Green stuff" 5 years ago. I'm not a DexTron fan. Bob Alexander :ssr

·
RED SLED
439 Posts
Because that’s what it should have in it from GM. You are not supposed to mix them.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
9,997 Posts
You should not have to worry about your engine temps. Your SSR is a great parade vehicle, once you get it sorted out. It's not hard or complicated. I have been troubleshooting and improving cooling systems on the SSR (and building fans) for 12+ years. Give me a call when you have time. 480-225-2123

Regards,

Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts