Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed the Simple Engineering brackets last week for relocating the running boards. For any new R owners, take it from another new owner, these brackets are great. Improved looks and MUCH easier to enter and exit the truck. My wife is short and these really help her.

·
Registered
29 Posts
A side note:
Minion & I just picked up a set of original running boards and found a couple of issues:
- Some of the bracket bolts to the frame are the wrong bolts
- Some of the bracket bolts to the running boards are stripped

- Not sure I have the right brackets (see Photo of the six brackets I got from the seller)

I need some help figuring this out.
Does anyone have an installation diagram / exploded view of how to install these things?

I can probably find some heat treated grade 8 or 10 bolts to substitute for the Home Depot frame bolts I got sent.
I do however need some ideas on a work-around on the stripped bracket to running boards inserts. I figure I can re-tap the board's inserts - but I still need to find some fine thread original replacement bolts.

Attachments

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,165 Posts
Roofwalker the short brackets go on the back one on each side. The drivers side the brackets all face the same direction. toward the front. The passengers side the larger brackets go front and middle. The one you have in your picture on the far right is the front one for the passengers side. The bolts are all metric and you won't need to get grade 8 bolts. I got my bolts at an Ace Hardware store and they had them that you could buy individually. There are enough of them and they tighten to the frame so there is no flex that stresses the bolts requiring the need for grade 8. If you have any other questions let me know I have mine off my 04 and can easily look at them.

Also a note of caution. Put the mounts on to the frame first and snug them up but not tightened all the way. Next lay the board on the brackets and snug them up but before tightening pull the board out as far away from the body so they don't rub on the body. My 05 has cuts in the rocker panels from where the boards rubbed into them. Get everything lined up then tighten the boards to the brackets then go back and tighten the frame bolts.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Wow !!

Thanks StiHotRod

This is what I like about this group - everybody is willing to reach out and lend a hand when one of us has a problem.

I may just have to get a second SSR so I'll have even more reason to be on the site.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts