Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2003 Chevy SSR
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the heck of it, I have been treating each side of Ilsa's running boards with a different product to see how they do.

This has not been scientific at all, but I've been doing it most of the summer and the results are shown.

Although many factors could have caused this result, it looks like the 303 Protectant did a little better job at protecting the rubber/plastic.

I'm going to keep it up for a bit to see if I still get the same results.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,919 Posts
I cleaned and scrubbed the oxidation off mine 2-1/2 years ago and treat them with 303 when I wash it. Still look new.

·
Blues Brother 08/2016
137 Posts
Have you tried the Back to Black product? It restores the black color. Then follow up with the 303 protectant. Just curious. It may be that the back to BBC lack is not needed. Jim

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,919 Posts
Have you tried the Back to Black product? It restores the black color. Then follow up with the 303 protectant. Just curious. It may be that the back to BBC lack is not needed. Jim
The Trim restorer products work fine but you need to keep using them. They seal the surface with an acrylic barrier so other protectants won't penetrate. Work great for hard black plastic trim. They do not do anything to restore rubber and keep it pliable like a good protectant like 303 will. Don't ever use trim restorer on any weatherstripping.
greg

·
Premium Member
1,532 Posts
Use Back to Black,on the running boards of the SSR,but don't drive it daily...I have 303..use it on the trim interior of another car. Thumbs up to both products..

134 Posts
Well....here I go being different again....
I pulled the rubber off......
Then I had the running boards powder
coated. (Gloss Black)
I then had the running boards Ceramic pro
coated.

Frank.....

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,919 Posts
Well....here I go being different again....
I pulled the rubber off......
Then I had the running boards powder
coated. (Gloss Black)
I then had the running boards Ceramic pro
coated.

Frank.....
How did you get Plastic Powdercoated??

·
Premium Member
737 Posts
I use 303 in the normal manner. But then, I coat the rubber once more with a very light spray of 303 and then spread it evenly with a soft cloth making sure I don't actually wipe it off. Overnight the rubber/vinyl seems to absorb the 303 and the finish lasts for about 4 months. YMMV

:yellow:
Willie

1 - 13 of 13 Posts