Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased 2 running boards from a member. Stored them about 8 months in a spare bedroom. Just had the R repainted and also the boards to match truck. Boards had not been installed on this R. Installed with Sinister brackets today. Passenger side went well. On drivers side board was bowed up about an inch in the center. Any hope of straitening it out? Metal plate underneath board is not bowed. Any ideas out there in SSR land. Thank you. Posted this in site help by a finger check--Sorry

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,224 Posts
Larry, same thing with me but I don't remember how bad it was bowed. I loosened all the bracket to frame bolts, then started the bolts in Boards and slowly tightened them up, then tightened the brackets to the frame and they did fine. Good luck! I'm sure others will comment about their experience!

Nick

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,222 Posts
Agree with nj6969, I would get a towel and have someone stand on the board to make it easier to bolt down in the middle. Put all the hardware on and then park it so that the board faces south and let it sit in the sun for a few hours to relax the bowing.

·
Tech Support/Research
1,671 Posts
Running Boards Installation

From experience, some running boards I've installed have exhibited a similar bowing, but as Dragon2U has noted, if you bolt the boards down starting from the center where they are not in contact with the brackets and then torque the end bolts the boards will settle just fine. Do not torque the end bolts first and try to draw down the center bolts last if the center is not in contact with the brackets. I install the boards to brackets with all fasteners loose, adjust their alignment along the side of the truck, then progressively snug all of the fasteners, starting with those that bring the boards into full contact with the brackets.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts