Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I find better and better deals and more and more 6 speed SSR's available, I notice very few are w/o the running boards I dislike. I found a silver 6 speed w/o boards but the dealer is not going to price it low enough so I am becoming resolved to the fact that the best I am going to realistically hope for is a great deal on a silver 6 speed WITH boards. S0-000-000000000...... Do they come off easy and is there evidence/witness marks left from where they were? Do they simply bolt to the undercarriage so that taking them off is no big deal? Thnx!!!

·
Registered
254 Posts
I hadn't thought about taking them off.

They provide additional protection for the rear fenders. Yeah, I know, there is a plastic cushion on the front of the rear fender, but often this is not enough to keep the rear fender from being peppered by gravel from the fron tires. However, if you are hell-bent to get them off, I don't think there is any telltale evidence that they were ever on. It is just a bolt-up affair and should not cause you any trouble getting them off. Also, if it matters, the frame will show with them off, but whatever..... :rolleyes:

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
They are very easy to unbolt from the frame. You can always put them back on just as easily. I do not use running boards on mine because it makes it harder to get in and out.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Freezer: I have noticed little air bubbles forming on the black part of my running boards underneath the coating. They appear as little white circles.Any idea what that is? I talked to other Chevy owners that said their running boards did that after a while and there was no cure. Tell me it ain't so.....:-(
has anyone else noticed this minor defect? :confused

·
Premium Member
2,252 Posts
There are 6 bolts on each side attaching the boards to the brackets, and 6 bolts on each side attaching the brackets to the frame. You can probably have them off in 30 minutes or less.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can you leave the board to bracket bolts intact and just remove the bracket to frame bolts to remove the boards?

·
Premium Member
2,252 Posts
You probably could if you had someone to hold the boards while you take the bolts out. Or something to set under the boards to hold them.

·
I'm not cool...
2,096 Posts
they do hinder entry & exit...

I was going to take them off when I got my boyds but when I saw the frame peeking out from under the body, it reminded me of those teenage kids with they're underware sticking out of the top of they're jeans :eek
painted'm black'n stuck'm back on :flag

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
Cruzned, I am not sure what is causing your problem. I am not sure I understand the situation. Can you post a picture?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hey Danko-

Go ahead and get one with Runnin Boards. You can sell the boards on this site or Ebay, and with the money you get for them, you can get some 4.11 or 4.56 gears for the rear end that are sorely needed for performance on our SSR's.

Doug

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Freezer: I will do that later. It is kinda weird. I have not seen this on any other running boards so far. They are just clear spots under the black area of the boards that look like water spots but don't come off with anything. I tried dgreaser, simple green and a few other products.:-(

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
lloger said:
You probably could if you had someone to hold the boards while you take the bolts out. Or something to set under the boards to hold them.
One person can do it.

Remove the lower bolt from each bracket.
Remove the remaining bolt from the center bracket.
Have a box to support whichever end is unbolted next.
(The helping hand of a friend works better)
Unbolt the last end.

There is absolutly no evidence that running boards were installed.

If you choose to remove yours, I strongly recommend installing front spalsh guards. Bottom edge of the guard should be about 4" above ground. If not the rear fenders will become pitted quickely.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts