Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember reading about this in a posting a few weeks ago, but for the life of me (and my Search Button) I couldn't find it!

How DO you clean the scuff marks off the running beards without removing the clearcoat over that satin paint? (Never really noticed them until I was doing a full fledged waxing on Miss Daisy this weekend!)

I was afraid to try anything on them until I heard for our "technical guru's" on this site.

HELP?

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Was this thread the one you remember?

http://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2984&highlight=skuffs

I didn't actually say what I used, and to be honest I don't specifically remember. I have a number of more and less aggressive items to use, and would have started with the least and stopped moving up as soon as one started showing effectiveness. Fortunatly the bottom side of the boards have plenty of area for testing.

·
Premium Member
9,472 Posts
I've been able to get most scuff marks off with Mequiars One step cleaner/wax - just enough abrasives to rub out the marks. If that won't do it, ultra-fine cutting or buffing compound should do it. So far, no signs of the finish being affected.

Ray

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to both Beer and Flassh. I'll try it today.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Buffy said:
I remember reading about this in a posting a few weeks ago, but for the life of me (and my Search Button) I couldn't find it!

How DO you clean the scuff marks off the running beards without removing the clearcoat over that satin paint? (Never really noticed them until I was doing a full fledged waxing on Miss Daisy this weekend!)

I was afraid to try anything on them until I heard for our "technical guru's" on this site.

HELP?
Buffy, if you want an easy way to remove the scuff marks try a little W-D 40. Works on scuffs, and the sticky stuff left behind after removing decals. :flag

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
WOW! THREE choices to try.

You're right Frank, I forgot just how versatile WD-40 is! I'm going to try it right now.

Thanks for the hint!

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, just tried the WD-40 and a cotton rag and it took off 90% of the scuffs! YEAH!

Next will be the Mequiars One step cleaner/wax to get the really scuffed-on marks.

Film at 11:00........

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
froberts said:
Buffy, if you want an easy way to remove the scuff marks try a little W-D 40. Works on scuffs, and the sticky stuff left behind after removing decals. :flag
Now this is the first time I've ever heard of a use for WD40 that didn't make my skin crawl. I will not, repete NOT, use WD40 on any kind of moving part.

G

·
runnin boards

Buffy,Then put the clear window type tint on there almost full length of board from rubber over the edge to bottom. then you will really have to get ruff with them to scuff up I have done this on both of mine and no scuffs or scratches. even on top of the inner door panel where my arm rest when hangin elbow outside.
:cool :ssr :thumbs :ssr :flag :ssr :seeya

·
Registered
93 Posts
Floor Boards

To get the scuffs off mine, I used a little Blue Magic. It took all the marks off and left the boards looking new. Mofo

·
Las Vegas Mob
1,402 Posts
What about the top pads??

I got the running boards with my truck, even had them painted ultra-violet to match, but have never installed them. I am worried that when people stepped on them that the soft rubber top pads would take a beating - scratches and gouges! The painted edges can be buffed/repainted as necessary, but I couldn't come up with an easy way to deal with the pad damage. How are your top pads holding up?

Thanks! Blast

·
Registered
189 Posts
Blast,

11,000 miles on the 04 and the tops still look like new :thumbs

Regards,

Rob

·
Las Vegas Mob
1,402 Posts
raveschi said:
11,000 miles on the 04 and the tops still look like new :thumbs
This is great news! I really like the look of the boards along with the extra rock chip protection they afford. Are everyone else's holding up as well??

Thanks again! Blast

·
I DO WINDOWS
8,841 Posts

Never step on mine ... even the 5foot nothing" wife. But some times a heel will get dragged across the outer painted part.

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey Blast, I will concur that my tops look PERFECT and I drive this thing everyday!

(Now if I could just pick up my feet when I'm getting out so not to scuff the edges!)

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
HEY REBEL!

I really like that new AVATAR! :lol

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
After 21K miles, the tops on mine are perfect, it is the outer edges that have been scuffed by other idiot's doors. At least they kept my doors from being dented. I would much rather have scuffed running boards as opposed to dented doors. :thumbs

·
Registered
159 Posts
It also works to keep black plactic panels looking new. I use it on the inside of the fairing of my Harley Electra Glide, and it looks brand new. Works as a bug killer to. I had some carpender bees in my old garage around the unpainted window sills, sprayed a little w-d in the holes and they all came out and died. Some say it can be used to treat pain in the joints because of arthritus. Never tried it though. Of course if you use it on moving parts you run the risk of them rusting faster.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts