Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tread on running boards have turned white. tried many products but they don't last. Can you buy new rubber tread to replace ?? Can you have old rubber tread sprayed with bed liner? Thanks, Bud

·
Premium Member
19,725 Posts
Just gotta stub them once in a while others haves removed them and sprayed lining on them

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Elbow grease will clean the treads, 0000 steel wool will help, a good rubber conditioner will keep them looking good. If you like there is a similar pattern on the boards under the rubber if you choose to use rhino-liner

·
Ex SoCal Nut
9,931 Posts
The black pads are held down by double sticky 3M tape. They are NOT rubber. It's some sort of cheap plastic material. It will Never get any better than what you have Now. It's only a matter of time until the white re-appears. It's the Nature of the beast. Don't forget that in the auto industry since the early '70's, Nothing has Squeeked or Rattled.... it just goes "cheap, cheap, cheap"... !!! It's plastic... It can be dyed, but, sooner or later the White will... prevail ! I'll be removing ours and scrapping them soon. Still looking for a solution to replacing the Silver paint and black runner. Have some ideas, but still doing the pro/con thing right now. Maybe more later on... Others have tried in the past, powdered cleansers, hyd fluid, bleach, dish soap, oils, dyes, "as seen on TV stuff, abrasives, polishes, and the whole 90yds.... Instant gratification... No Joy... Please post if you find something that works. We Love to Learn, too....
I've shares some of the Negative and have a couple of ideas in the "works". Please Share....

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
The black pads are held down by double sticky 3M tape. They are NOT rubber. It's some sort of cheap plastic material. It will Never get any better than what you have Now. It's only a matter of time until the white re-appears. It's the Nature of the beast. Don't forget that in the auto industry since the early '70's, Nothing has Squeeked or Rattled.... it just goes "cheap, cheap, cheap"... !!! It's plastic... It can be dyed, but, sooner or later the White will... prevail ! I'll be removing ours and scrapping them soon. Still looking for a solution to replacing the Silver paint and black runner. Have some ideas, but still doing the pro/con thing right now. Maybe more later on... Others have tried in the past, powdered cleansers, hyd fluid, bleach, dish soap, oils, dyes, "as seen on TV stuff, abrasives, polishes, and the whole 90yds.... Instant gratification... No Joy... Please post if you find something that works. We Love to Learn, too....
I've shares some of the Negative and have a couple of ideas in the "works". Please Share....
Fuji I know this will sound stupid but if you wipe the boards off after they get wet they will look better for longer. For some reason they get water spots. Also I found 303 protectent helpful to keeping them looking better longer.

·
ONE OWNER !!!!
2004 Smokin' Asphalt #11150
44,537 Posts
3M- 303 protectant 14 years later mine still look like new. I would think if you cleaned them good and applied 303 protectant you will like the results.

Reactions: Auggie Doggie

·
Tech Support/Research
1,684 Posts
Running Board Coating

As Yellow Bear notes, the black overlay on the running boards is a plastic material. Several years ago forum member TruckNRod told me of his success with painting this black plastic surface. Since then I have had similar success using professional coatings made specifically for bumpers and plastic cladding, such as the product shown in the attached photo. Meticulous preparation to completely remove any of the previously applied protectants, sealers, etc., is required in order for these coatings to adhere properly to the surface.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
I had the white/greyish running board treads, and has others have said 303 Protectant does wonders.
I have learned a few tricks that make the 303 work better, scrub boards well with a scotchbrite pad or good stiff tire brush, let them dry or dry them well, spray with 303, do not rub it in just let it soak in and you will like the results.

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,920 Posts
Mine were chalky. Scrubbed with Westleys tire cleaner and scotch bright pad and treated with 303. I go over them with 303 when it's washed. Two years now they still look new.

·
Premium Member
9,321 Posts
Mine are 12 years old and still in new condition. I use either Black Chrome, or Back to Black a couple times a year. One is Mother's, the other Meguiars, but can't remember which is which.

If your boards have deteriorated, clean them with tire cleaner and either steel wool or a scotchbrite abrasive pad, then apply one of the Black Chrome type protectants, let it soak in, repeat a couple more times. After that, reapply the Black chrome every couple of weeks, and you should be able to keep the plastic inserts looking nice and black.

I'm not much of a fan of the bed liner material. About the only thing you can do to keep the boads clean is to either scrub with soap and a brush and lots of rinsing, or power wash them. Either way, it looks like crap most of the time. Before you apply it and ruin your boards forever, check out a couple pickups with textured bedliner spray. I did one of my pickups with it several years ago, and that will never happen again. It's extremely durable, withstands abuse like crazy, but it always looked like crap. Even with power washing regularly, it was impossible to make the bed look clean.

Reactions: shakatak

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Flash,
It seems you're really down on the bed liner spray. Sorry you've had bad experiences with the stuff. Maybe in a truck bed it's different. But my experiences on the running boards are completely different. Contrary to what you experienced, the boards are very easy to clean. I simply wipe them down with the wash mitt when I'm washing the truck and rinse. Boom. Done. See the pic above. Now maybe you don't care for the look and that's a personal choice. But as far as ease of cleaning and maintenance, this stuff is easy breezy.

·
Daily Driver
8,941 Posts
Seems there are a number of things that will work but the one thing they have in common is you had to look after them and do it.

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,064 Posts
I wonder if the southern climates have anything to do with it deteriorating? All I do with mine is wash them when I wash the vehicle. No muss no fuss. When they are dry I wipe them down along with other rubber parts with F-11 Top Coat and they look like brand new. Never much work involved. My SSR has always been in the Northern states.

·
Slingshot Rules!
72,583 Posts
Exactly, Bruce . . . kinda like Exercise Equipment and/or a Gym Membership.

Shortly after "Adoption Day" way back in July of 2005, I began a JaxWax Leather Magic routine. About every four to six weeks I apply Leather Magic to everything that isn't Slingshot Yellow . . . the seats, the dash and the door panels as well as the "rubber wannabe" strips on the Running Boards.

It probably takes less than 20 minutes for the entire process and to this day . . . no signs of fading and/or white stuff on the Running Boards.

Time / Money well spent.

! :surprise: ! >:) ! :surprise: ! >:) ! :surprise: !

·
Registered
11 Posts
running boards

i rubbed on a product called "back to black" two weeks ago. so far no white has appeared. a little more slippery than before.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Augie, I don't think it has so much to do with Southern climate. More about UV rays. And yup, we got a bunch of that down here.

·
Premium Member
2003 Chevy SSR
1,433 Posts
Thanks - I never thought of that. I use 303 on the other rubber parts, but never considered it on the boards.

3M- 303 protectant 14 years later mine still look like new. I would think if you cleaned them good and applied 303 protectant you will like the results.

·
Premium Member
2003 Chevy SSR
1,433 Posts
I'm infamous in my neighborhood for always washing and waxing my vehicles (our other ride, a new Jaguar XJ was just smashed in Chicago). Using "Back to Black" is something I do every time I wax Ilsa, but I'm going to try 303 the next time she's waxed (which could be soon).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts