Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i wanted to see if anyone has found a product that will revitalize the running board rubber? Mine is showing signs of UV fading. Thought there might be a new product out there that someone has discovered to address this.

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur, top secret can't say anything about another one
6,359 Posts
I use Mr Clean Magic Erasers to clean them with and it takes off the gray faded look first. Then use what ever you prefer to coat them with. I take one and cut it in half and then cut that in half again and one small piece will clean each board. This is a picture of one cut in half.
Smile Product Material property Font Publication

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
I used Mother's Heavy Duty Back to Black and a lot of elbow grease. I was extremely pleased with the results. After a good cleaning then occasional maintenance cleaning should do the trick.
I agree with you 100%...it takes work to clean them...and maintenance is the key...I took the rubber off when I had my boards painted to match my SSR...put but rubber back on...magic eraser years ago removed the white residue build up.Good Luck
vp

·
Registered
2005 SSR, Silver with chrome wheels.
104 Posts
As another way to deal with it... I took the rubber off and threw it away. Then I had them coated with Line-X bed coating. Or you can paint them body color.
My SSR is also silver and looks just like yours does, I was interested in seeing how you have "dressed" your SSR.
I really like the rear fender rock guard painted black. And since my SSR lives in Michigan, it should be OK to copy your design and paint mine black also. How is that rock guard attached to the rear fender? Are they difficult to remove? And how about re-attachment?

Street Rod Andy

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
My SSR is also silver and looks just like yours does, I was interested in seeing how you have "dressed" your SSR.
I really like the rear fender rock guard painted black. And since my SSR lives in Michigan, it should be OK to copy your design and paint mine black also. How is that rock guard attached to the rear fender? Are they difficult to remove? And how about re-attachment?

Street Rod Andy
The rock guards are held on by strong double sided tape around the edges and one screw on the bottom. It takes a little time to get them off. You'll want to use new adhesive tape when you re-install. Mine were not painted but rather wrapped with 3M carbon fiber vehicle wrap vinyl. And don't worry about copying the idea. I certainly am not the first person to modify the rock guards.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
These are all great ideas, and I thank you all for responding with these ideas. There may be more ideas still to come. But I wanted to acknowledge the time that you took to offer up some great suggestions. Ultimately, I like the idea of painting the running boards, and not having to worry about the old rubber discoloring.

·
Premium Member
May 2017 ROTM 2005 Redline Red .
7,379 Posts
Here are a few pictures of my SSR, rubber removed, side seams sanded out and painted to match.
Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle

Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Plant

The running boards are also dropped & tucked

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
ROTM 1/2016 - 2006 PacBlues 376 & 29
30,146 Posts
These are all great ideas, and I thank you all for responding with these ideas. There may be more ideas still to come. But I wanted to acknowledge the time that you took to offer up some great suggestions. Ultimately, I like the idea of painting the running boards, and not having to worry about the old rubber discoloring.
There have been other threads on this subject which have included the use of paint on bed liners as a solution to the question of what to do with the rubber. I have found this to be a viable solution if it is applied carefully on properly prepared running boards. I have also seen it fail miserably when not properly installed.
Just a thought which has not been presented above.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts