Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honestly, Iv got 1 more post, to make the 15 quota, so I can PM people about clubs near me. However.....

Iv got a legit rumble / tumble in my head about running boards. My truck does not have them, but I like the way they look.

I guess I need the ' Up n Down ' side of it.

Any input ?

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
I have them. My understanding is they work as mud guards, rocks, debris etc. Mine work good. I'm also tall and can step over them. My wife, not so easily. Some people have lowered and tucked them-moved in I think.

Maybe you can get comments from people that don't have them and what they do, just might save you some money.

·
Slingshot Rules!
71,415 Posts
Interesting request, Yess . . .

Many years ago while researching / shopping for my SSR, I definitely preferred the look of No Boards.

Then I found The Doophus at a Chevy Dealer about 1600 miles from home with Slingshot Yellow Boards (at that time a unique first for me) . . . the decision became far more difficult even though the Sales Manager offered to remove them if so desired.

Upon learning the positives . . . primarily the body protection offered from flying rocks, debris and other stuff . . . the boards stayed.

Twelve plus years later . . . the Slingshot Yellow Running Boards are still hanging on.

My opinion . . . the protection offered by Running Boards is far more important than personal preference.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,223 Posts
Kathy's '04 DID NOT have them, mine DID. We think they really look better WITH the Boards, so we got some for hers. Absolutely get the lowered and tucked Brackets. They lower the Boards and move them farther under the truck making it easier to get out and in (NO stepping on the Boards!!!). They hide the frame!, fill in the gap between the fenders, and as said above keeps rock from hitting the rear fenders. We don't like mud flaps. Best to personally compare Trucks that have and don't have them, AT A GET TOGETHER. That said----everyone to their kick!!

Nick

·
Premium Member
7,279 Posts
Simply put, I just like the looks of them. The late 40's and early 50's pickups had them didn't they ??? I do know one thing they were not options in that era. Now, I do believe it is much easier for short people to get in the SSR without the Runnin' Boards because they can get closer to the door sill. tennesseecozydog :ssr

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
personally, I think they look great - since I have a signature series, I am not putting running boards on - want to keep it original

·
Ms Donna's Driver
04’ Silver and 05’ Sinister
4,623 Posts
Our truck has them. Donna is short legged and rubbed against them when entering and exiting. Thought it was no problem for me. Got a set of lower and tuck brackets from Mike in Arizona (Simple-engineering) and installed them. No more complaints from Donna and I like them too. I think boards look good on the truck and believe they help on preventing rock chips.

·
SSR Pit Crew
2004 UV
9,315 Posts
My '04 came with boards but they are in the attic, I replaced them with solid nerf bars. I think the SSR needs 'something' along the line where the boards go, whether its boards or something else. That being said, I do get more road rash without them than I did with them...they definitely do stop a lot of the road debris from hitting the back fenders.

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
My 04 had them and they needed to be redone due to flaking of the silver flaking off. When i took them off to have them painted it like it a lot better i'm a short guy so they where in the way of getting in and out.

My mom is 92 and she could not hardly get in the R with them but she could get in without the boards. I did get more dirt and chips on the rear fenders that is true.

I sold my 04 and bought a 05 and it had running boards but i got a set of lower and tuck brackets from simple engineering and had them installed and wow what a difference my mom can get in the R and it does keep most of the rocks off the rear.

So it's up to you the right way is your way.
good luck

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,898 Posts
They protect the doors and rear fenders from road rash chips. My opinion is:
1. When they designed the SSR it was copied after a 50's series pick-up and it had running boards so the SSR should have them.
2. Body color looks like they were part of the original vehicle and silver look like add ons.
Just my opinion.
3. It is your SSR and your money so do what you like. Good luck with that.
4. I put four mudflaps on also.

·
Daily Driver
8,935 Posts
My opinion . . . the protection offered by Running Boards is far more important than personal preference.
NO, personal preference is everything.

I like the look of the truck without them, plus I'm short with bad knees so they be come a problem. I understand the tucked brackets solve that, but I still like the look without.
The rear fenders do take more abuse without them, although I've never had a chip on the doors or side of the bed.
Besides I'm on a fixed income and can't afford boards. :lol

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Awsome input. Thank you.
I'm 5'2. So it sounds like I need em tucked under to comfortably get in, as Im loving the ease of sliding into the seat now. Hate to disrupt the positive flow, however...
I do like the way they look. Plus I can see the frame with holes & that's NOT appealing .
And they do have a function ( keeping down debris ). PLUS... the older trucks did have them, though they were made to be stepped on, I'm thinking SSR's aren't. Anyway.

How much are running boards ?
Who's got a pair for sale ?
And thanks again for the info.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Awsome input. Thank you.
I'm 5'2. So it sounds like I need em tucked under to comfortably get in, as Im loving the ease of sliding into the seat now. Hate to disrupt the positive flow, however...
I do like the way they look. Plus I can see the frame with holes & that's NOT appealing .
And they do have a function ( keeping down debris ). PLUS... the older trucks did have them, though they were made to be stepped on, I'm thinking SSR's aren't. Anyway.

And they do have a function ( keeping down debris ). PLUS... the older trucks did have them, though they were made to be stepped on, I'm thinking SSR's aren't

I stand on mine a lot, especially when washing and drying. I bought some car "wash and WAX" and have never had anything leave water spots like that before. I have to dry it really really good or I have the spots.
I used a clay bar and lots of time and effort to get them off soon after I purchased it-I think the new car wash has to find a new home.
Anyway, I weigh about 160 and I never feel them flinch.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Awsome input. Thank you.

I have a pair for sale very soon. They have been stripped of all old paint, The seams have been removed and they will be ready to paint or I can paint them. I can supply them with tucked brackets and all hardware. Call me if you are interested Eric, 219-548-2673

·
Daily Driver
8,935 Posts
Ah, that reminds me. Another option that's really the best of both worlds as far as function, and looks super cool, is Eric's molded rocker panels. :thumbs

1 - 20 of 27 Posts