Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rubber top that's on the running boards or step boards turns a white milky look. I have tried a few different things to make them black again but it doesn't last. If it gets wet the black is gone again. Somebody said paint it black but I have never got paint to stick to rubber. An when u put your foot on it it's going to scratch anyway. I know this has been a problem in the past but I couldn't find the fix an don't have patience with computer stuff to sit for hours looking for something an when u get close the crazy internet where I live drops u off line . Someone do me a big favor an tell me the fix.

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,094 Posts
There really is no "fix". When you see people suggest painting the boards, they mean to remove the rubber and paint where the rubber was. Yes, there are a ton of topics on the forum that discuss the issue, none are 100% effective or are a true "fix". Some methods work good for some people but as you mentioned, the problem always comes back in time. The only thing I know that will prolong the look after you clean them well is to keep the truck indoors.

When I had the rubber on my truck I used a light abrasive scrubbing pad with Aerospace 303 on it and it seemed to clean off the waxy residue and kept it clean for awhile. Some use Back To Black, others use harsher chemicals and other dressings ..........

I am sure you will get quite a few more replies, try a few and see if something works better for you.

·
Premium Member
2005 Chevy SSR
719 Posts
I clean mine off with a scotch brite pad and then with isopropyl alcohol and then use a product called Blacktastic which is an actual dye so you will need to wear gloves but it lasts longer than anything else that I have tried including back to black and black magic.

·
Premium Member
7,032 Posts
Best advice Dragon2U "The only thing I know that will prolong the look after you clean them well is to keep the truck indoors" Have no problem keeping mine black because my SSR stays in the garage most of the time. Sure it's a driver and we drive it a lot. Sun is your worst enemy. I use the "303" every so often to keep them nice looking. Bob Alexander :ssr

·
Registered
331 Posts
I used Mothers Back to Black Heavy Duty Trim Cleaner and a stiff brush to scrub them down.

I was very happy with the results. To my eye they looked as good as new.

Greg

:yellow:

·
Premium Member
1,910 Posts
Forever Black

After you clean the white residue off, coat them with Forever Black. It dyes the plastic. Get it at any auto parts store.

Jack

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
27,987 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I asked a friend of mine who does body work on how I can get the rubber on running boards black again. He told me use a heat gun on the rubber. well Didn't have a heat gun so used my little propane torch. Works like magic turning rubber black again. Then I used "black again" to make it look like new. Added a video on how I did it.

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,155 Posts
My number 1 rule is no one ever steps on the running boards. They are for show only and keep the gravel and debris off the sides and fenders. Rule number 2 scrub them really good with 409 or a similar product. Once dry I wipe them down with Top Coat F-11. Look like brand new and stay that way. I use Top Coat F-11 on every surface of the vehicle. I use it on paint, glass, plastic, rubber, leather, vinyl, wheels, tires, etc. Never have to buy another product.

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
I had mine coated with Line-X. I stand on 'em all the time. Tough as nails. But then, I don't have a garage queen either.
:rolleyes:

Here is another option that many with an Avalanche and/or other ride with the (black plastic type parts). Try this out but it is best if you can have the parts totally clean and free of any other attempts to solve the problem.

I used it on my Avalanche, and I could see it should work very well, but I had already used multiple other products and don't think I got it clean enough to really let this stuff work

(Beware............Wear rubber gloves and be sure to wipe down any nearby painted surface quickly when you use it

·
Tech Support/Research
1,602 Posts
Several years ago forum member TruckNRod advised of the success he had in using a good quality bumper coating as a one-and-done solution to the fading of the plastic overlay on the running boards. I too have followed his advice and have had similar success using professional coatings made specifically for bumpers and plastic cladding, such as the product shown in the attached photo. Meticulous preparation to completely remove any of the previously applied protectants, sealers, etc. (many of which are petroleum-based) is required in order for these coatings to adhere properly to the surface. I applied this SEM product to my running boards six years ago and have not had to do any restorative work on them since- they still look like new.

Thanks again, Dennis!

DSCN0564.jpg

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I've written about this on here since 2007. Several threads. Three steps. This works.

1) Scrub with Magic Eraser. Scrub until your fingers bleed. This is the hardest part to actually get the residue off.

2) Apply 3M Bondo Restore Black. This is not a dressing. It is a dye that soaks in. It works.

3) Protect regularly with 303 Aerospace Protectant.

Never worry about your running boards again.

This worked perfectly for over a decade until some bastard stole my blue running boards, but I bet they still look perty on whoever's thievin' ass truck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts