Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a quote to have my running boards repainted same UV color as truck with a non skid coating where black is. Would imagine the UV paint is pretty expensive and wondering if the body shop is giving me a good price or not, quote was for $400 I remove the boards. Is this price fair or not what do you guys think?

Super Road Rocket Pilot
I think for the work you are asking for, sanding, prepping, painting and the application of anti skid it is a decent price for a commercial company. The cost of the UV is rather pricey due to the pearl in it and there is a lot of work to do it right.

One note of caution, I know several people have had the entire black area painted with anti skid but I also know that there are issues doing it. The longevity of the material used might not be good and it could start peeling or lifting. I know this has happened to someone that used bed coating for the black area, not sure what type of material you were going to use but it is something to think about. Just an anti skid paint might be better but not sure of the lifespan or how well it holds color.

On the boards I had on my truck I used anti skid tape just on the raised 3 ribs of the steps and I really liked it better than the entire area where the OEM step rubber was. Having more of it body color made it look nicer, and your foot only touches the top area anyway so the lower area is safe. If you did not want to use the tape you could just have the top areas painted with aniskid and not the entire area, that way if it ever failed it would be much easier to repair. Just a thought..........

Registered
This actually sparks a question I've been thinking about for a while. I know there are some vehicles what have purely cosmetic running boards.
Are the SSR running boards completely cosmetic, or are they functional to be used as such? If so, how much weight can they handle?

Registered
I have stood on mine while cleaning the truck so I know they will hold up to 200 pounds no problem. By the size of the brackets they should be able to take much more then that. I don't use mine when getting in or out. I like them because it makes the truck look lower and it helps to keep the truck sides cleaner. The 05 came with them in the bed and I put them on for the trip home to try to keep it cleaner. My 04 did not have them when I bought it but it was one of the first things I added to it. Right now they are off to be painted.

SSR Pit Crew
I'm around 255 and have stood on them while washing and waxing the roof. I have to confess I do think about that much weight on them but so far no issues.

Dave

Premium Member
Are the SSR running boards completely cosmetic, or are they functional to be used as such? If so, how much weight can they handle?
If you have the lowered and tucked brackets, like a lot of us, I THINK, they are Cosmetic. With those brackets the Boards are tucked in and under so far that there is not really enough to put your foot on. Plus they make it easier to get in and out. We never step on them with either SSR

Nick

I
A Touch of "Trouble"

Just got a quote to have my running boards repainted same UV color as truck with a non skid coating where black is. Would imagine the UV paint is pretty expensive and wondering if the body shop is giving me a good price or not, quote was for $400 I remove the boards. Is this price fair or not what do you guys think?
I dont know about UV paint...but I had my done in
Gloss Black....
Can you say......Powder Coat
cost me $80......and looks great

Super Road Rocket Pilot
Foot touches? As in step on they? :eek
I agree, I never stepped on mine.

I dont know about UV paint...but I had my done in
Gloss Black....
Can you say......Power Coat
cost me $80......and looks great
Powder coat the boards or brackets? I agree the brackets being $80 powder coated, maybe less.
Boards are a plastic wrapped composite. When I painted the boards it was around $60 a pint just for UV paint. Then you add in some adhesion promoter, primer, clear coat, etc.....

Registered
Nah that鈥檚 to much. I had mine powder coated with the non slip ****. Cost me $140 and 45 min to remove and reinstall.

Tech Support/Research
Painting Estimate

If you want a pricing reference point, I recently obtained an estimate for some paint work from a local production shop. For a 3-hour job, the total (labor, paint and supplies) was $452.

Super Road Rocket Pilot
Nah that鈥檚 to much. I had mine powder coated with the non slip ****. Cost me $140 and 45 min to remove and reinstall.
The boards are plastic, traditional powder coat will not stick. I know there are some companies working with plastic powder coating, is that what you had done? Would like to know more about who and how they did it since that still seems like a cheap price. Did they do the entire board or just the step area? Maybe they used paint, epoxy or bedliner coating?

If you want a pricing reference point, I recently obtained an estimate for some paint work from a local production shop. For a 3-hour job, the total (labor, paint and supplies) was $452.
Obviously depends on the shop, geographical location, time of year, etc.... but this seems to validate the OPs initial question for traditional painting, thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
10 Participants
Dragon2U
Chevy SSR Forum
Chevy SSR Forum - where SSR fans discuss modifications, wheel & tire tech, performance and so much more!
Full Forum Listing