Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Red 04
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My running boards are a nuisance, I'm short legged so brush against them every time getting out and dont want to step on them.
I'm aware of the shortened, lowered braces which appear to be a good option for me.
However, I would like them done in body color. Which brings up the question of whats under the rubber portion of boards. Can the rubber be removed and painted along with the satin trim? Are they smooth surfaced underneith or ribbed?

Other option is the aftermarket boards ready to paint and install.

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 S/C Pac Blue 6spd
1,698 Posts
My running boards are a nuisance, I'm short legged so brush against them every time getting out and dont want to step on them.
I'm aware of the shortened, lowered braces which appear to be a good option for me.
However, I would like them done in body color. Which brings up the question of whats under the rubber portion of boards. Can the rubber be removed and painted along with the satin trim? Are they smooth surfaced underneith or ribbed?

I've put the dropped and tucked brackets on both our Rs. We really like them as we can get in and out much easier, and the help the R look cooler (in my opinion).

Getting the running boards painted to match is pretty common. The tread surface is stuck down with doublesided tape. The running boards themselves have the same pattern as the tread.

Some folks paint the running boards and clean up and reuse the black tread surface, others choose to show the underlying painted running board, and some have the painted running boards with polished stainless between the ribs. Lastly some have the tread area of the running board covered in bed liner (which I like, but others don't as it can hold dust), and others have covered the entire running board in bedliner material.

·
SSR Believer
3,886 Posts

All of what Robert (@TXNSSR) said. Mike's Sinister Kustoms Dropped & Tucked Running Board Brackets should be a big help. They're somewhat adjustable so you can get them just right. Any good paint shop can prep the running boards for painting. We love ours that way.

You can see how far in the boards can be moved in the before/after photo of Lance's (@PokerGuy) Slingshot Yellow SSR below.

Others have removed theirs completely (it's a matter of taste), but the running boards do help prevent road rash that can occur on the lower rear fenders.

Kamanari's fiberglass running boards look great with the rest of the parts they offer (front and rear spoiler, etc.), but that's a lot more work and expense. From what I've read they (or any fiberglass parts really) are not just "plug and play". It'd take a good body shop to get them installed properly. Just depends on what you're end goal (and budget) is.

Hope that helps, best of luck and let us know how it goes!
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
2006 SSR SILVER OVER PAC BLUE & 2006 SSR 6 SPEED BLACK OVER SILVER
136 Posts
I am 5' 6" and had a SSR without boards and liked it... Now have a new to me SSR w/ boards and hated it cause always dragging back of my calves. Installed the Lowered and Tucked kit... LOVE IT!!
Have the paint work done or bedliner whatever you prefer and order the kit from Mike @ Simple Engineering.

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 S/C Pac Blue 6spd
1,698 Posts
For reference, here is how much the boards can be moved down and in.
Stock - you can just see the floor between the rocker panel and the running boards.
Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle Vehicle Grille

Tucked

Automotive parking light Car Grille Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

And if you look closely at the reflection, you’ll see I had just finished cleaning the treads. My go to is to sit on one of my skateboards, which allows me to roll back and forth and scrub them down with Mothers Back to Black Plastic Restorer and a scrubbing sponge remove the oxidation. I took these pictures right after scrubbing them down and installing the brackets.

Later on I them spray down with Meguiar’s Ultimate Black Restorer aerosol to give them a little shine and seal them. I use the Meguiar’s once every few washes and scrub them once every few years, if I notice any white oxidation showing up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts