Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I discovered a new problem with my truck yesterday. Have not seen a post on this yet but there might have been and I missed it.

The rubber on top of the running boards is coming loose. It seems the double sided tape that holds it down is not doing its job. The service rep at the dealership called me back to tell me the parts are on order. She also told me she went out to the lot and the 4 they have on the lot are doing the same thing. The rubber is curling up from the edges.

Anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I have had the same problem with mine. I had gotten the run around with the dealer (as usual), but I plan on getting my running boards painted soon. My SSR is Slingshot Yellow and the running boards are silver. I want them to match the yellow. I went to a local body shop (one that has an excellent reputation here) and they said they have a better adhesieve (sp?) to use to put the rubber back down with.
You might want to check with a body and paint shop near you and see what they say.

·
Original SSR Centerfold
3,146 Posts
jleas524 said:
I went to a local body shop (one that has an excellent reputation here) and they said they have a better adhesieve (sp?) to use to put the rubber back down with.
You might want to check with a body and paint shop near you and see what they say.
Why should we have to dish money out of our pockets to fix something warranty should be taking care of? If the adhesive that was used originally isn't working then maybe Chevy needs to be informed as to what will work.

·
Registered
416 Posts
dingbat said:
Why should we have to dish money out of our pockets to fix something warranty should be taking care of? If the adhesive that was used originally isn't working then maybe Chevy needs to be informed as to what will work.
Sadly, it's sometimes better (quicker, easier, and less expensive -- in terms of time and aggravation) to just find your own solution, rather than wasting time and effort getting the dealer to replace a defective item with the another one of the same.

To me, that's the main value of this board: to share such solutions.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Running Boards......

Didn't I see in here some where somebody had (custom) ? body matching running boards????????? If so ...who? where? what did they cost and finally where did they come from......I didn't take the stock running boards......I thought they looked cheap Price was not cheap for what you got.....the color matched looked so much better........But oh well thats just my thought :yawn

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
You can get paint matched running boards from GM. The running boards are actually made of the same type material as the stone guards. The color is paint film under a clear plastic film. The rubber insert is bonded to that. I am not sure how good paint will actually stick to the outside surface of the running board material.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Here's the '05 color matched boards on an '04. With those, and the mud guards, I don't get anything thrown up on the rear fenders, either. :)

·
Registered
893 Posts
Now this is what i was talking about.......do you have a gm part#....did they come color matched...........Sorry if i'm asking to many questions.......But these boards I like....and think they would look good on my 2005 smokin asphalt... along with rear wing.....chin spolier and hood scoop, :seeya which are being finished to be installed as we speak......thanks for the info.......Wolfie

·
Registered
76 Posts
No part number, (I don't think you'd want to use mine anyway) but they're just '05 color matched boards, which will be easy for your dealer to order.

·
Registered
78 Posts
replaced my boards

The dealer replaced my running boards when I had both sides rubber coming up on them. I was shocked that they replaced them instead of trying to glue them back down!

Wally

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was wondering if they would replace my running boards instead of gluing them down. They ordered something to fix the problem I just don't know what. New boards or glue? I will find out when I pick it up and give an update.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
dingbat said:
To get them painted, the rubber nonslip pad would need to be pulled off and then reinstalled after painting.

There is no clear plastic film on mine, as freezer says. And the rubber insert is not "bonded" to them. They come from GM with the rubber non slip adhered to the running board with double sided body molding foam tape.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Problem solved???

Had the same happen. Dealership fix, without any reoccurring problem yet. Keeping fingers crossed. :confused

·
Registered
64 Posts
Kingbee said:
Here's the '05 color matched boards on an '04. With those, and the mud guards, I don't get anything thrown up on the rear fenders, either. :)
Is your rear spoiler a '04/05 GTO?

Jeff

·
Growing Older but Not Up
1,350 Posts
GMpartsdirect.com

12499194 is the part number for the yellow boards from GM.

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
They must have changed the design from the original intent if there is no clear film over the paint. Originally they were going to be made of the same material as the stone guards on the rear fender.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts