Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Two Tone Owner
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day, I noticed my temp gauge was running a little bit hotter than usual. I took it up to speed on the interstate and it cooled down to normal running temp.
I thought the fan was going bad, so I changed to to another one (checked and works OK).
It is still running warmer than usual, so nothing changed.
Anyone have any ideas what can be wrong. I am in Florida and it has been warmer than normal.
Thanks, Walter :yellow::yellow:

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
2006 Pacific Blue times 23198 & 21474
28,557 Posts
The other day, I noticed my temp gauge was running a little bit hotter than usual. I took it up to speed on the interstate and it cooled down to normal running temp.
I thought the fan was going bad, so I changed to to another one (checked and works OK).
It is still running warmer than usual, so nothing changed.
Anyone have any ideas what can be wrong. I am in Florida and it has been warmer than normal.
Thanks, Walter :yellow::yellow:
Where does it normally run? Might be thermostat has finally worn out. Might be the pressure cap on the surge tank. What happens if you turn on the A/C?

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,190 Posts
OK..... running warmer than normal....... please answer the questions so that we can get this identified right off the bat.

1. What was the driving condition for the warmer running? Stop-and-go?
2. What temperature was it showing?
3. A/C on or off?
4. What main fan? (mine?)
5. Do you have an Auxiliary Fan installed? was it running?
6. Have you ever installed the "Cooling System Tune-up Kit"?

Regards

·
Two Tone Owner
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK..... running warmer than normal....... please answer the questions so that we can get this identified right off the bat.

1. What was the driving condition for the warmer running? Stop-and-go?
2. What temperature was it showing?
3. A/C on or off?
4. What main fan? (mine?)
5. Do you have an Auxiliary Fan installed? was it running?
6. Have you ever installed the "Cooling System Tune-up Kit"?

Regards
1. Always a little to the left of the center line on the gauge.
2. Now 230* in stop and go traffic.
3.AC off
4.both stock fans.
5.No
6. No
It is completely stock with 125,000 miles on it.
It hasn’t overheated or got to the red line yet.
New surge cap a couple of years ago.
Thank you.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,190 Posts
1. Always a little to the left of the center line on the gauge.
2. Now 230* in stop and go traffic.
3.AC off
4.both stock fans.
5.No
6. No
It is completely stock with 125,000 miles on it.
It hasn’t overheated or got to the red line yet.
New surge cap a couple of years ago.
Thank you.
Normal operation with the AC off, the main fan will not turn on (to low speed) until the temp gets to 226 and then it will turn off when the temp drops back to 219. High speed fan comes on at 235 (the mark half way between 210 and 260) and shifts to low speed at 226.

Repeat your run again tomorrow and see if the temps get up to the 230 point again. When they do, reach down and turn on the AC. Just any fan speed and it does not need to be in recirculate. Turning on the AC will force the main fan to low speed, regardless of water temp.

You should test your cooling fan in the driveway by just turning on the AC while the engine is running. As soon as the AC system comes up to "normal" pressure, the computer will turn the main fan on to low speed. You need to validate this, as there is a failure mode of the OEM fans that fries the 1 ohm resistor built into the fan motor..... killing the low speed function of the motor.

You should also inspect your cooling fan wiring harness connector (the truck side, not the fan side) to be sure that there are no signs of burning on the contacts.... especially the black (ground) wire. We have been seeing an increase in burned connectors over the last couple years. This can cause a cooling fan to appear intermittent.....

Regards,

Mike

·
Tech Support/Research
1,735 Posts
Overheating

Walter:

With 125k on the odometer and the original thermostat and coolant pressure cap still installed I'd suggest replacing those as one of the easy first steps. On the last two higher mileage SSRs I bought the rubber portions of the thermostats were brittle and/or deteriorated, and the seals on the pressure caps were hard as well. You should also check for debris on the front side of your radiator and A/C condenser and blow those out with compressed air. It's surprising how much junk can accumulate over time, and the reduced cooling efficiency can produce hotter running temps.

·
Two Tone Owner
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. Everything is within parameters.
I hooked up my OBD 2 to the R and all the temperature reading were within the correct range.
It must be the heat and humidity we are having, that is making it run warmer.
To run the temp that I want, I have to run with the AC on.
Thanks, Walter:yellow::yellow:

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,190 Posts
Thanks guys. Everything is within parameters.
I hooked up my OBD 2 to the R and all the temperature reading were within the correct range.
It must be the heat and humidity we are having, that is making it run warmer.
To run the temp that I want, I have to run with the AC on.
Thanks, Walter:yellow::yellow:
Hi Walter,

GM was pretty smart when they did their engine thermostats in all of the V8 engines across all product lines. Tahoes, Suburbans, Corvettes, Buicks, Cadillacs, GMC, etc all use the same t-stat.

Between 2001 and 2008, GM changed (superceded) that thermostat part number 4 or 5 times. Changing part numbers is NOT something done on a whim...... There is always has a cost associated with that kind of change.

The thermostats originally in our SSRs are not the most current design. The pressure cap has not changed part numbers, but the sealing o-rings on the side of the cap become flattened after a few years. I have been recommending replacing them for years. What I recommend for all SSR owners is that they install a new GM thermostat (GM 12600171 / AC Delco 131-156), Seal (GM 12570307 / AC Delco 131-169) and pressure cap (GM 15075118 / AC Delco RC-98). You can procure these locally or get them through my web store as the “Cooling System Tune-up Kit”. Makes no difference to me how you do it..... this is just something that puts the best OEM parts possible on your SSR.

Changing the t-stat can be coordinated with a “simple” replacement of most of the Dexcool by just draining the radiator and opening the t-stat housing. You will be able to replace about 90% of the coolant and the t-stat in one shot. If you do this every 5 years, it is great scheduled maintenance. My coolant recommendation is 50/50 premixed Dexcool or equivalent from Prestone.

Have a great day.... enjoy your ride.

Mike

·
Two Tone Owner
2,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Walter,

GM was pretty smart when they did their engine thermostats in all of the V8 engines across all product lines. Tahoes, Suburbans, Corvettes, Buicks, Cadillacs, GMC, etc all use the same t-stat.

Between 2001 and 2008, GM changed (superceded) that thermostat part number 4 or 5 times. Changing part numbers is NOT something done on a whim...... There is always has a cost associated with that kind of change.

The thermostats originally in our SSRs are not the most current design. The pressure cap has not changed part numbers, but the sealing o-rings on the side of the cap become flattened after a few years. I have been recommending replacing them for years. What I recommend for all SSR owners is that they install a new GM thermostat (GM 12600171 / AC Delco 131-156), Seal (GM 12570307 / AC Delco 131-169) and pressure cap (GM 15075118 / AC Delco RC-98). You can procure these locally or get them through my web store as the “Cooling System Tune-up Kit”. Makes no difference to me how you do it..... this is just something that puts the best OEM parts possible on your SSR.

Changing the t-stat can be coordinated with a “simple” replacement of most of the Dexcool by just draining the radiator and opening the t-stat housing. You will be able to replace about 90% of the coolant and the t-stat in one shot. If you do this every 5 years, it is great scheduled maintenance. My coolant recommendation is 50/50 premixed Dexcool or equivalent from Prestone.

Have a great day.... enjoy your ride.

Mike
Thanks Mike, as long as it runs cool enough not to cause any problems, I will change that when I get back to Pennsylvania.
Walter :yellow:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Not to hijack your thread, but since your issue is resolved, I have a question maybe Mike can answer. Just installed your AC tune up kit, Mike. Before, temps were OK ( just below the 210 mark). Fan would come on high speed about 203, run for a couple of minutes, and then turn off ( Magnuson Charger, Joe Delano installed I think). With the new kit, temps are about the same, but at 203 ( according to Torque) high speed fan comes on, temps fall to just under 198, but fan will not switch to low speed or turn off. Am I going to need to get a re-tune to adjust the fan-off temps, or is it normal to have it run constantly with the charger.

BTW, when I pulled out the old stat, it came apart in several pieces- stat, an extra spring, and the plate with holes. The plate was actually still in the vehicle- had to go pull that out to get the new stat in. Both stats were marked 186 degrees, IIRC.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,190 Posts
Not to hijack your thread, but since your issue is resolved, I have a question maybe Mike can answer. Just installed your AC tune up kit, Mike. Before, temps were OK ( just below the 210 mark). Fan would come on high speed about 203, run for a couple of minutes, and then turn off ( Magnuson Charger, Joe Delano installed I think). With the new kit, temps are about the same, but at 203 ( according to Torque) high speed fan comes on, temps fall to just under 198, but fan will not switch to low speed or turn off. Am I going to need to get a re-tune to adjust the fan-off temps, or is it normal to have it run constantly with the charger.

BTW, when I pulled out the old stat, it came apart in several pieces- stat, an extra spring, and the plate with holes. The plate was actually still in the vehicle- had to go pull that out to get the new stat in. Both stats were marked 186 degrees, IIRC.
Sounds like the little "C" clip gave up...... letting your t-stat come apart.

That is a "Cooling System Tune-up" kit.... not AC.....

Joe tends to have the fan speeds a little close together. Usually at 195 for low speed and 200 for high speed. Your new thermostat is probably holding the temperature just about 200 all the time....... thereby keeping the fan from going to low speed..... The thermostats are not deadly accurate devices and have a little tolerance on them. It's important to have the fan on low speed all the time with the S/C installation, so we will need to keep the fan speed settings where they are.

Joe and I have a couple "tweaks" that can be done for supercharged applications that are on the edge like yours is. Definitely not for general use across the fleet, so I'm not gonna share openly..... please call me and we can chat about it.

Regards,

Mike
480-225-2123

·
Registered
81 Posts
always check the 60A yellow fuse in the box under the hood too...mine went out and it fixed it instantly. I was so sure it was the fan since I have 68,000 miles on my truck. but no....look for simple stuff first. Thx guys.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am new to the site and forum. I am in need of help. I am in a challenging situation.
My dad passed away 8 months ago and I became the proud owner of his toy. He loved the SSR and was the one and only owner. He would not let anyone touch his toy. So all history of work done has been lost with him. It is currently in California and I live in Colorado. Looking to drive it back in early October.
The 2005 SSR started overheating and I am concerned to make the trip. I am a bit puzzled as some time everything is great no overheating even with 100 degree days and AC running. Then other times sitting at red light the temperature climbs fast and the warning light comes on.
I have read about replacing the fan and possibly a tune would help. I don’t think it is the thermostat as it cools when driven.
I will not be in California again before the planed road trip so I really need to have the fix sitting there when I get to moms house. Then I will do the fixes and be on the road.
Any help would be great.
Thank Josh

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,557 Posts
I am new to the site and forum. I am in need of help. I am in a challenging situation.
My dad passed away 8 months ago and I became the proud owner of his toy. He loved the SSR and was the one and only owner. He would not let anyone touch his toy. So all history of work done has been lost with him. It is currently in California and I live in Colorado. Looking to drive it back in early October.
The 2005 SSR started overheating and I am concerned to make the trip. I am a bit puzzled as some time everything is great no overheating even with 100 degree days and AC running. Then other times sitting at red light the temperature climbs fast and the warning light comes on.
I have read about replacing the fan and possibly a tune would help. I don’t think it is the thermostat as it cools when driven.
I will not be in California again before the planed road trip so I really need to have the fix sitting there when I get to moms house. Then I will do the fixes and be on the road.
Any help would be great.
Thank Josh
Josh, send Mike in AZ an email (click the link) with a phone number and he will get to you and explain the system and suggest repairs and tests. He knows the cooling system like he designed it because he has solved the problems. Do as he says and you should have no issues and if you order his fan, the installations is about a half hour if you have the tools and follow his instructions. He has done it in 4.5 minutes at rallies. It is cheaper and better than the original. Good Luck

·
Daily Driver
8,958 Posts
Works for me? Here's the fan but you should really talk to Mike first, you may not need one. Actually since you don't know what Dad did you may already have one.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,557 Posts
Link not working
Link takes you ro Mikes's Web store and the form has a space at the bottom for you to enter your questions. That way he only has to look in one place. Sorry about not explaining that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts