Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this forum... my Redline Red is running hot in traffic... seems to be OK on the open road, but the temp gauge climbs up to around 235, just to the right of the last tic mark before the red in traffic. Dealer says this is normal... I've never had a vehicle do that... not even my '49 Ford F1. My concern is the long term affect on the aluminum block and heads... anyone have a fix for this?

·
Registered
84 Posts
yeah, mine does that to. first time to the right of the hash mark and I was worried. Everyone here assured me its normal, aluminum runs hotter. there are other threads, do a search. I keep waiting for the day when I pick up my daughter from school and it goes into the red!!,

·
Registered
371 Posts
Right On!

You hit it on the head guys.....they are designed to run hot, although it does unnerve you. If you truly get nervous, just switch on your air conditioner as that automatically turns the fan on.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
I had my tuner adjust the "temperature on" for the 2 fans, and now my guage NEVER goes past the center mark on the guage.

Jim G

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
JimGnitecki said:
I had my tuner adjust the "temperature on" for the 2 fans, and now my guage NEVER goes past the center mark on the guage.

Jim G
We adjusted ours down a little bit too - what did you set yours on? I'm wondering if we can go lower...

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Fan #1 on at 93 celsius = 199
Fan #1 off at 91 celsius = 196

Fan #2 on at 99 celsius = 210
Fan #2 off at 96 celsius = 205

Jim G

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
Daven said:
I'm new to this forum... my Redline Red is running hot in traffic... seems to be OK on the open road, but the temp gauge climbs up to around 235, just to the right of the last tic mark before the red in traffic. Dealer says this is normal... I've never had a vehicle do that... not even my '49 Ford F1. My concern is the long term affect on the aluminum block and heads... anyone have a fix for this?
I had that as well. Fan #2 wasn't working. This engine will run hot, but not THAT hot. Dealer replaced the fan.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
JimGnitecki said:
Fan #1 on at 93 celsius = 199
Fan #1 off at 91 celsius = 196

Fan #2 on at 99 celsius = 210
Fan #2 off at 96 celsius = 205

Jim G
Thanks Jim! That's almost exactly what we set them at-

·
Resident Rocket Scientist
11,997 Posts
Not Too Hot

The aluminum heads on my other car typically run about 325 to 350 deg. No worries at 235 deg.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I recently got stuck in traffic for 20 miles at 5 mph, when I was moving. Was climbing a grade with air on and temp never passed 235. These SSR's will run around 210 and jump when going slow in traffic.

·
Registered
371 Posts
JimGnitecki said:

Jim G
Jim....where is the second fan? I seem to only have one.

L2B

·
Registered
740 Posts
This is what I love about SSRFanatics. People here are so mechanically minded. I'm always reading about these mechanical things to check that I would never had thought about else.

I mean, you guys even study all those little guages, and know what they mean.

I'm kind of confused tho. My temperature guage always reads around 40. I don't think it goes up to 200.

:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts