Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed my Ground Force springs Friday and while it was up on the hoist I noticed quite a few rust spots, most were on the end of the joints but there was also some on the rear axel, has anyone noticed this yet? I have only driven it for 3 days in the rain. I was planning on coating all the spots with the rust to metal brush on stuff. Just woundering if this was normal, after 6 years with the Vette no a spot of rust on the under carriage. Of course the vette has very little steel. I am thinking that maybe there was salt on the road in Lansing when GM test drove the truck & it did not get washed off.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
rust

I noticed a lot more rust than I would have expected (of course I've driven all winter in the snow and ice, but still). I think it's something that I might have to keep an eye on.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I noticed some on the axel where the paint was scraped off (rail or car carrier holdowns maybe). Touched them up while installing the springs. Also the same ones on the front spindles where they were machined and untreated.

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
Tomorrow my SSR will be at the dealer for 2 or 3 days. They are touching up the scrapes they put on it before I got it and I hope they will fix the *#&@% holes they put in the front when they installed the license plate. I will make sure to ask them to take a look and find out what is up with the rust. I will also take a look myself. (not that I don't trust my dealer) just getting my second opinion so to speak. Happy Cruisin'

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those holes in the front need to filled properly, repaint and reclear each grille bar they were in. Dont feel bad about your scrapes, I had a HUGE rock bounce off the right fender. It put a slight dent in it too. Fortunately my friend that has painted several classic cars for me fixed it. We spotted and blended the color coat, then cleared the whole fender. It is perfect now. Not even a hint of what was done.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Rust Rust Rust

I have found numerous locations that have suface rust undr my SSR. Also on some bolts on the doors. I was told in Tallahassee by anothe member here (Please let me know if you read this) that my dealer should take care of this. Anyone had the dealer replace anything under warranty because of rust???

Scott

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Rust in those areas appears to be normal on most vehicles. We will always have rust in some form or another as long as we have parts made of steel. I prefer steel over plastic. Heck, it sure is a lot less rust than my old 69 Chevy Nova had. That thing was a major rust bucket but fun to drive. :cool

·
Registered
442 Posts
oil-based rustproofing

I just bought a new pickup and yesterday I took it across the river (under the river, actually) to Windsor, Ontario where they rustproof with mostly oil. They go through existing access holes and drill a few new ones and get into all the body panels and spray a chemical filled oil that penetrates and then drains and drips for years. My bulldog loves to go under my vehicles and rustproof her back..... Anyhow, this stuff WORKS! It drips a lot for a few days and then tapers off but even my old vehicles show a little bit coming out YEARS later. I just do it one time per vehicle even though they recommend revisit/resprays and one example is my 1994 15 passenger van with NO rust. Others on the road have their cargo doors rotting out. I have even had Vettes done this way and I am a believer in it. This is not the Ziebart tar-like crap. It really is oil mixed with anti-rust chemicals and it does work. If this wannabe pulls off the black over silver SSR next spring, it will visit Windsor for this treatment which I think the EPA makes illegal here to do.

·
Registered
324 Posts
There was a product a couple of years ago on two guys garage that was hooked up to the battery and prevented rust by sending a charge through the metal, if I find it i will post.

·
Premium Member
6,310 Posts
Nova

cruzned said:
Rust in those areas appears to be normal on most vehicles. We will always have rust in some form or another as long as we have parts made of steel. I prefer steel over plastic. Heck, it sure is a lot less rust than my old 69 Chevy Nova had. That thing was a major rust bucket but fun to drive. :cool
Ed, funny you should mention the 69 Nova. The first year out of high school I bought a new 66 Nova. I sold it to my sister a year later because I entered the US Navy. Yes they rusted fast back then! :thumbs

Scott 0168

·
Registered
433 Posts
Slydur

I wonder how many SSR owners came from the Corvette line up?

I have a 2000 Coupe. Use it for long road trips with friends in the summer.

Yellow Stone and Rushmore this year.

The SSR is my other car, drive it everyday. :D

·
Registered
72 Posts
saw your message and dealer should replace any excessive rusted bolts- when i replaced
my had to order them 1st and warranty parts center requested we return them for product
review- seems many 04 units were stored during winter and many item under vehicle are
not treated-have heard similar complaints from other owners-enjoyed talking to you at the
power tour

john

·
Registered
442 Posts
good and bad

The electronic "rust inhibitors" are a total scam and have been proven so repeatedly. My OilGard shop has the details posted of court cases in Canada and here where the gizmos' sellers had to pay for false claims. OilGard works but it is messy if you get the type that truly flows. They have a waxier version they call "dripless" but I like knowing the oil is sloshing around everywhere and it has worked on a lot of vehicles for me. Only drawback is you have to get it done in Canada. Friday's price for an application to a full-size pickup was $67 U.S. The suspension generally does not get directly sprayed much but everything under there gets at least a mist on it and then the dripping hits a lot of components, too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have had good success using a product called Rust Check. It has been around for approximately 30 years and is also used extensively in Canada. It is kinda thin and has the ability to creep uphill and get into spotwelded joints. It is not permanent, however, and must be renewed every year or so

·
Registered
442 Posts
renew every year?

OilGard recommends annual renewal also but I have just done each vehicle once and it stands up to Michigan salty winters quite well. Not bad for $67 plus tunnel fees to cross the border. My 1994 15 passenger wagon actually STILL shows small residual oil flow this many years later.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Krown/Rust Check/Oil

There are two main competitors in the Canadian market…. KROWN and Rust Check. Products are similar in that they are both petroleum based, but KROWN does not seem to have solvents (which is better for you’re your rubber parts) and is generally regarded to be the highest performing of the several low density rust preventative solutions sold in Canada.

Both Krown and Rust Check are non-evaporating liquid products with some lubrificant properties. I have had four of my last six vehicles “Krowned” and two Rust Checked. I personally prefer Krown as the customer service has been better in my experience. After 3-5 winters in salt, both of these products seem to be superior to the denser ones (such as Zeibart) which most mechanics hate with a passion.

Would also point out that Ford was never able to get our Lightning to stop squeaking but the Krown treatment sure did. Our new SSr was treated at Krown in Toronto last week and is now virtually squeak free. :seeya

·
Registered
180 Posts
My Rust was taken care of by RUST CHECK

On earlier posts I brought to the attention of our good site regulars my problem with rust at the frame weld.
As the SSR GUY states We in Canada have some excellent products that help with rust,
In my case I purchased RUST CHECK from a local store and did the application myself over the long winter. There are two types of oil available one is thin as heck and gets into everything and one is thicker and does not drip
I used the thick stuff for surface application and the thin stuff got shot into all the little holes.
A few days ago my SSR was on the lift getting an exhaust and the rust was checked.
I used 3 cans @ $8.00 / can
Scott Doran :ssr

1 - 20 of 21 Posts