Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 SSR. If I understand correctly the frame is a Trailblazer frame that has had a section cut out of it to make it shorter and then welded back together. The joint is just behind the front wheels. This joint has rusted on both sides of my SSR.:willy: My dealer plans to send it to a body shop. Have it bead blasted to clean up the rust and then an undercoat sprayed on. There are a couple of bolt heads that are rusting too and some surface rust on the rear axle and differencial.

Is this the best way to fix this problem? Is this the right way to fix this problem?

·
Banned
2,141 Posts
Willie said:
I have an 05 SSR. If I understand correctly the frame is a Trailblazer frame that has had a section cut out of it to make it shorter and then welded back together. The joint is just behind the front wheels. This joint has rusted on both sides of my SSR.:willy: My dealer plans to send it to a body shop. Have it bead blasted to clean up the rust and then an undercoat sprayed on. There are a couple of bolt heads that are rusting too and some surface rust on the rear axle and differencial.

Is this the best way to fix this problem? Is this the right way to fix this problem?

Please share some pictures.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pictures as Requested.

If I understand correctly the SSR frame is a Trailblazer frame that has had a section cut out of it and then it is rewelded back together. The weld is located just behind the front wheels. There is a raised "patch" welded over the seam. It is the raised patch that is rusting.:cry. It is rusting on both the passenger and driver side. The pics are from the driver side. I checked several more SSRs at the local dealer's lot and of the six I looked at only one other had any rust and it was just a hint of rust.

Any advice on how to best fix the problem would be helpful. I will have my dealer take care of it. I just want to be sure he does it the right way.

Willie

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
That rust looks like it could be a real problem over time especially in northern states that get snow and salt on the roads during the winter. It looks like they just used any old scrap steel or whatever type of metal it is to form and make the frame. I'm going to be checking my 06 constantly. You might expect to find that type of rust on a vehicle ten or twenty years old but not on a vehicle just a couple of years old.

:mad :mad :mad :mad :mad :mad​

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Willie said:
If I understand correctly the SSR frame is a Trailblazer frame that has had a section cut out of it and then it is rewelded back together. The weld is located just behind the front wheels. There is a raised "patch" welded over the seam. It is the raised patch that is rusting.:cry. It is rusting on both the passenger and driver side. The pics are from the driver side. I checked several more SSRs at the local dealer's lot and of the six I looked at only one other had any rust and it was just a hint of rust.

Any advice on how to best fix the problem would be helpful. I will have my dealer take care of it. I just want to be sure he does it the right way.

Willie
the steel they use has be equal to the frame stee.it looks as if it was not properly primed and repainted.bead blasting and some rust nuetralizer primer with a good coat of pant primer then some good paint i think should cure it
just an opinion but i used the rust nuetralizer on rust on my '62 chevy and it worked real well.its available at any paint store that sells auto paint supplies

·
Banned
2,141 Posts
Wow thats ugly. I think a little wire brushing , Rust reformer spray and a good coat of paint and then rubberized undercoat spray and all will be good again, however it is something to watch. Im going to have to look at mine again this time more center to the door. I was looking a bit more forward. I did find a similar looking rust spot just below the front of the engine on the frame I shot rust reformer on it and it vanished. Im going to have to remember to shoot some paint on it now.

·
Banned
2,141 Posts
Im wondering if we need to take these trucks to Zebart and have just the frame and the floor pan coated??

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
The coating that is reapplied is not as good as the original because the original paint is electro deposited after the frame is welded. We could not get the supplier to give us a frame that was uncoated so we could do the welding and then get the entire frame electro coated afterward, which would be the best way. The frame must be sanded down in this are and after welding, service paint is applied.
After driving mine through the winter months, I had the exact same rusting happen to mine. The dealer did about the same treatment as described above on mine and it seems to be holding up. I haven't been driving it in the salt any more. The rusting is probably not a structural issue because the total amount of metal at the joint is significant.

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Another SSR with joint rust

Willie said:

Willie
Taking her in next week. Rust at weld. Worst on pass side. Hope they get it right under warranty. Noticed Willie's SSR and mine had the same looking joint, with holes. The other one listed had a solid joint. When did they change?

Attachments

·
Banned
2,141 Posts
yuck

My under coat re spray job (I had a very small amount of rust here) seems to be holding but you can see some rust starting BEHIND the holes...I also see some rust starting on the sub frame below the splice now. That I will have to deal with.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
After fixed.

shintajay said:
Taking her in next week. Rust at weld. Worst on pass side. Hope they get it right under warranty. Noticed Willie's SSR and mine had the same looking joint, with holes. The other one listed had a solid joint. When did they change?
Here is the service info on my invoice.

Carriage frame rails are of normal condition as their surface is not treated. Surface corrosion is not detrimental to the performance of the affected component. Warranty for corrosion only covers body panel corrosion from under the paint. Per management, clean off rust on the affected ares and paint over using the appropriate paint for application.

Result: resurface drivers and passenger undercarriage frame area, then spray paint and undercoating.

They claimed they were not liable for the repair but the service manager okayed the repair. I would have been pissed if they left it be. But they came through and its looks okay now.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
frame splice

Mine looked the same way - well, maybe not THAT bad. I cleaned it up and put some chassis black from Eastwood on it, and did the rear axle while I ws at it, since that looked like the original paint was splattered from across the street. Both look fine now. We'll see ho it holds up. By the way, I think the frames were stretched, not shortened. Mine's a longer wheel base than my wife's Envoy.:black:

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
The SSR uses a TBXL frame that is shortened. The regular TB/Envoy frame is shorter and was not used on the SSR.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
I've recently had my rust checked out....so far it's only surface rust.....

·
I DO WINDOWS
8,825 Posts

Thanks "lookingforanSSR" .... your our man on point. With your high miles and winter driving in the north. :cheers

1 - 20 of 31 Posts