Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was so proud of my backup camera with the lines that turned as the car turned until Friday, it quit in the rain.
I contacted Rydeen, they would not honor the warranty because it was sold on line. $63.99 down the drain. To make matters worse their video cable required that you use their cable because it had special connection to the camera. I removed the old cable, pulled the radio to install. Now I have to remove the cable, pull the radio to uninstall and install a new cable.
There will not be another Rydeen camera going in. I found one on e-bay for $16.50 delivered from The China Company, it looks just like the Rydeen except for the cable connections. This one has a standard cable, if it quits I am out $16.50, order another one, just unplug at the rear bumper and hook up the next one. Disposable rear view cameras.

GGGGGGGGGGGGG!
Jack

·
BlueStreak
26,743 Posts
Sorry to hear about the problem. Will be interesting to see if the new one survive in the rain. Can you post a picture of the "Standard connector" since I have a camera which needs to be replaced, After 9 years it finally gave in to the wet weather. It still works but takes a while to dry out. I have not been under to look at the connector but wonder if it is "Standard".

·
Daily Driver
8,777 Posts
There has to be a way to waterproof these things. I mean if that guy can drive a boat with a screen bottom this should be a piece of cake.
We've progressed beyond chewing gum and Duct tape, there's plastic wrap, nail polish, canned foam, RTV, shrink tube, Flex-seal, POR 15, a whole aisle in the parts store or home center.

·
Registered
604 Posts
whenever I install a camera on any of my rides I always put some sealant on them anywhere I think it is needed. Never had one go out on my on any of my cars/trucks and I have installed probably 7 or 8 over the past few years.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sealing camera

I plan to put silicone seal where the wire goes into the camera, it is on the back and won't show. I am going to put wire shrink wrap on the connections but not heat it put silicone inside then electrical tape it.

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
I was so proud of my backup camera with the lines that turned as the car turned until Friday, it quit in the rain.
I contacted Rydeen, they would not honor the warranty because it was sold on line. $63.99 down the drain. To make matters worse their video cable required that you use their cable because it had special connection to the camera. I removed the old cable, pulled the radio to install. Now I have to remove the cable, pull the radio to uninstall and install a new cable.
There will not be another Rydeen camera going in. I found one on e-bay for $16.50 delivered from The China Company, it looks just like the Rydeen except for the cable connections. This one has a standard cable, if it quits I am out $16.50, order another one, just unplug at the rear bumper and hook up the next one. Disposable rear view cameras.

GGGGGGGGGGGGG!
Jack
I bought a Rydeen based on your post about them.

They're pretty cool but mine also petered out.

No way to buy a new camera and splice the wires in the back end?

Larry

·
BlueStreak
26,743 Posts
I bought a Rydeen based on your post about them.

They're pretty cool but mine also petered out.

No way to buy a new camera and splice the wires in the back end?

Larry
If the camera is shot there is nothing to lose trying to splice except the cost of a connector, right? I have not seen shielded cable in any that I have cut in to. Doesn't mean it is not there.

·
Slingshot Rules!
62,028 Posts
Big Ole Bummer, Jack . . .

Obviously, those guys at Rydeen need to "wake up" as most everything is sold online and I bet there was no mention of that warranty catch in the fine print.

I think I would call back and ask to speak with The Boss.

! :cool: ! (n) ! :cool: ! (n) ! :cool: !

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Ended up buying another Rydeen camera from a dealer with a three year warranty.

By buying the Rydeen I was able to just replace the camera and not have to change the wiring harness out and pull the dash.

Rydeen uses a mini 4 pin connector where most backup cameras are a RCA video cable.

Payed a little more for a camera but a lot less hassle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts