Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got two perfectly good saddle bags sitting in my garage that I would gladly part with for $200 plus shipping. Includes the two metal strips that are used to install them and keys for the locks.

Anyone interested????

t

·
Registered
407 Posts
i'm wondering where you guys (and wildcatt) store stuff after taking out the saddle bags?

i keep the zaino, hitch, rags, oil, etc. in the bags.

just wondering.

rick

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
I store the hitch in the garage because I am not pulling anything and if I knew I was going to I would put it on the truck, my saddle bags are in the attice unless I need them which hasn't happened yet. I have a small tool box for cleaning supplies and rags.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Saddlebags that useless?

Have heard the saddlebags are not much good if you use the compartment netting but are they SO bad that you really do not want them around?

Have heard that it is good to have just one....
:lol

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
They are a little complicated to use because they don't hinge on the back like you would expect, and the end opposite of the keyed end has a slot that the tab fits in so that it lines up to be locked. You can't really use it effectively with the bar and net in. Also I wouldn't want to put them in or take them out of the truck to often since it is a tight fit we already have some slight scratches from where the dealer put them in. If I were going on a long trip they might come in handy.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Saddle Bags

They are very close to useless with the carco net. I'm going to try to modify mine so I can open them with the cargo net bar over them which is the reason they aren't functional.

D

·
0 Posts
I've been thinking about putting my saddle bags on my Harley but they are a little long. :lol

If anyone is going to order a new SSR my advice is to forget the saddle bags. You can get a plastic storage box at K-Mart for about $10 that works just as good.

I found the cargo net worthless also.

Don't get me wrong though, I love my SSR. :thumbs

Attachments

·
Registered
407 Posts
i don't know....they are a pain to close as Machell points out but since i do not need the bed for hauling stuff (like anything would fit) I just keep them in there.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I don't know why people hate the saddle bags so much. Here is what I use them for:

1- Carry my handguns when I got he range
2- Store Zaino Z6 and a buch of rags to shine the baby up on the road if needed
3-I will not carry any food in my car, so when the wifey orders Chinese food, guess where they'd end up?

To me they are a lot more useful than the hitch, the wood strips (they look good though), and the cargo netting (makes a muscle car look like a sissy car).

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
Dragon said:
I've been thinking about putting my saddle bags on my Harley but they are a little long. :lol

If anyone is going to order a new SSR my advice is to forget the saddle bags. You can get a plastic storage box at K-Mart for about $10 that works just as good.

I found the cargo net worthless also.

Don't get me wrong though, I love my SSR. :thumbs
Same here, I just use 2 cargo bars from Summit Racing Equipment and a black storage container from Lowes.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
redssrloaded said:
I don't know why people hate the saddle bags so much. Here is what I use them for:

1- Carry my handguns when I got he range
2- Store Zaino Z6 and a buch of rags to shine the baby up on the road if needed
3-I will not carry any food in my car, so when the wifey orders Chinese food, guess where they'd end up?

To me they are a lot more useful than the hitch, the wood strips (they look good though), and the cargo netting (makes a muscle car look like a sissy car).
I agree, NO FOOD in the SSR!!!:nono

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Useless and cumbersome are the words

Not only are they useless, since the bed is so narrow and shallow that you can reach everything in it. I like the cargo net 'cause it keeps small quantities of groceries, etc., from sliding around. The saddlebags aren't even good garage storage, cause of the shape. A cabinet or small storage chest provides more storage and takes up less space.

Soooooo, anyone who thinks they are attractive or practical, pleeeeease take them off my hands for a reasonable price.

thanks,

t

·
Registered
277 Posts
I finally found a moment to address my saddle bags and see if I could improve on the design? I found that I could unlock them and lift the lid and slide it over and remove it and place it back and lock it in place. Not a great setup, but functional for how little I need to get into them. I'll keep them in the SSR for now.

·
Premium Member
6,310 Posts
Saddle Bags

Took a time out today and mounted just one of the saddle bags. Got the idea from another post. Anyway I needed something to keep things in there place back there. I thought maybe about just leaving the tops off the bags and storing them! Then I was wondering about glueing some sort of simulated wood stripping or felt to the top edge of the bag where the top of the saddle bag rests on. What do you think? :confused :) :banghead

1 - 20 of 24 Posts