Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My hood pad has dropped in the middle by the windshield, is draging on the chrome of the engine cover and has damaged it. Has anyone had this problem and did the dealer replace the two parts? :cool :cool

·
Registered
434 Posts
I noticed scuff marks on the engine cover while checking oil the other day.

I did wonder where they came from. I use terry cloth on all that stuff so it shouldn't have scuff marks I said to myself while putting the stick back.

Hummmmm. I'll have a look in the daylight tomorrow.

Skip

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
subman576 said:
My hood pad has dropped in the middle by the windshield, is draging on the chrome of the engine cover and has damaged it. Has anyone had this problem and did the dealer replace the two parts? :cool :cool

I had the problem and both were replaced (the hood pad also had a tear at the point of the hood support from someone not paying attention). I haven't checked recently to see if the problem has reoccured.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I just spotted this problem last week! Do y'all think that I could get these replaced under warranty on an '03 with less than 9,000 miles?

·
Growing Older but Not Up
1,350 Posts
Me too

I noticed this a few months ago, I shot a little spray adhesive behind it and let it set, worked for a while but its back :mad

·
Growing Older but Not Up
1,350 Posts
Whitewolf said:
2 little blue pills in the gas tank will fix it........ :lol :lol :lol :lol :seeya
But only for a couple of hours. :jester

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
Under hood heat shield

The first time I opened the hood in November of 2003, I noticed the slight sag in the pad. When I removed it to detail the SSR on the pad,I got new plastic clips to replace the ones I removed and an extra one.

I drilled a new hole in the under side of the hood in the rear / center. When I replaced the pad in went the new pin.....no sag.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Extra screw

SSR290 said:
The first time I opened the hood in November of 2003, I noticed the slight sag in the pad. When I removed it to detail the SSR on the pad,I got new plastic clips to replace the ones I removed and an extra one.

I drilled a new hole in the under side of the hood in the rear / center. When I replaced the pad in went the new pin.....no sag.

***** Way to go Jim..........Am gonna do that anyway and mines not sagging....But am gonna use polished stainless fastners so I don't have to go through the pry off situation.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Has anyone just removed the pad and left it off? What is its function, anyway? Sound deadening? Does hood underside look decent w/o the pad? I love this forum!!!

·
Registered
590 Posts
Function as I know it is "sound deadening and acts as a fire blanket if there is an underhood fire it will drop down over the engine (that is why it is held up with soft plastic retainers)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi: Yes I had the exact same problem on my 03. My dealer replace both at NO cost to me. Took about a week to get both pieces, haven't had any problem since.
Bill in CA.

·
Premium Member
9,312 Posts
Had the pad off this summer to put the aluminum letters on. The paint is really poor under the pad, and so thin in some places close to the edges of the pad that it had a greenish tinge.

Ended up covering the truck in plastic and repainting the underside of the hood - looks a lot better now.

Ray

Attachments

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
REBEL said:
I was just going to ask the same question on function? I have left mine off since I reworked the hood.

So if your engine catches on fire it will melt the plastic holders which will drop the underhood pad onto the engine slowing the fire long enough for you to exit your vehicle........or so I've heard :jester

·
Registered
349 Posts
Flassh said:
Had the pad off this summer to put the aluminum letters on. The paint is really poor under the pad, and so thin in some places close to the edges of the pad that it had a greenish tinge.

Ended up covering the truck in plastic and repainting the underside of the hood - looks a lot better now.

Ray
Ray, that engine treatment is perfect! Not too much bling, but clean neat, and unique! :thumbs

1 - 16 of 16 Posts