Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:cry: The "Love/Hate" relationship came to an end this week.
I've been in love with the SSR from its inception in 2003. Thought it was the coolest thing on wheels.
I still feel that way but I suppose I wasn't aware it was a "Special Needs" Vehicle, when I got into it.
I did all the basic upgrades recommended by Mr Dictator and enjoyed a few visits to Dicks place with other R owners to exchange war stories and do some light maintenance.
In the end I think I just needed a little more cockpit comfort and confidence in dependability. (An elusive starting electrical issue)
Anyway you guys have been a great support system and just an all around group of great guys (and gals)
Thanks for everything
Ed
Ps. I listed a new car over on the forum if anyone is looking for one. I'll also be listing a new tire and wheel spare as soon as I take a pic. (New wheel/tire never touched the ground.

·
Premium Member
1,932 Posts
I've been in love with the SSR from its inception in 2003. Thought it was the coolest thing on wheels.
I still feel that way but I suppose I wasn't aware it was a "Special Needs" Vehicle, when I got into it.
I did all the basic upgrades recommended by Mr Dictator and enjoyed a few visits to Dicks place with other R owners to exchange war stories and do some light maintenance.
In the end I think I just needed a little more cockpit comfort and confidence in dependability. (An elusive starting electrical issue)
Anyway you guys have been a great support system and just an all around group of great guys (and gals)
Thanks for everything
Ed
Ps. I listed a new car over on the forum if anyone is looking for one. I'll also be listing a new tire and wheel spare as soon as I take a pic. (New wheel/tire never touched the ground.
:rolleyes:
This guy is certainly not alone in his frustrations with the SSR. When I was looking for one about 3 years or so ago, the only guy I knew personally that had one was a guy I used to work with in Raleigh. Back then I asked him how he liked it and he was crazy about it.

He went on to tell me about some Rallys and that he was gonna go to the Daytona one that was planned for the next Spring. He had owned it for a few years. Fast forward a few months, I purchased mine and emailed him about it and that we would likely be going to the Daytona Rally also.

Emailed me back and said he traded his in on a Cadillac, cause he couldn't put up with the problems anymore. Don't recall exactly what problem he had at the last, BUT he was trying to get it fixed at the Cadillac Dealers.:unsure:

He was a guy with not much mechanical knowledge and/or such skills. In my opinion, the typical SSR owner needs to have a fair amount of mechanical skills or a damn good buddy that does have that can help him out.

I'm thinkin' if you could poll the ex owners as to why they sold and/or traded, many would have done so because they couldn't work on it themselves and could not pin down a local reliable source to help them. I imagine some would have headed to their local "Chevy" dealer with expectations that it's a Chevy and they should know what to do...........only to find out in most cases they do not.:cautious:

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
So sorry to hear this. There are lemons out there and even the good ones can have a gremlin every now and then. I guess I should consider myself lucky as the only hiccups I've had were minor, niggly little things that didn't affect performance or reliability.
Hopefully the new owner will sort things out.
But honestly, our trucks are 14 - 17 years old. Things happen in older vehicles. If reliability is the main issue for someone, perhaps they should consider a new vehicle with a warranty.

·
Registered
233 Posts
moscooeter, I think you are correct. I don't drive my SSR much. I wouldn't take it on a big trip. I think the people that do also know how to fix them. I am not very mechanical. I love the truck but I am afraid the first time she breaks down on me creating a problem we're done. I can't go around to fellow SSR owners and ask them to fix my truck.
John F.

·
Premium Member
1,932 Posts
moscooeter, I think you are correct. I don't drive my SSR much. I wouldn't take it on a big trip. I think the people that do also know how to fix them. I am not very mechanical. I love the truck but I am afraid the first time she breaks down on me creating a problem we're done. I can't go around to fellow SSR owners and ask them to fix my truck.
John F.

John, just maybe there are a few or at least one fellow SSR owner in your area. Maybe they will see this and chime in.

To my way of thinking, the majority of problems found are not the kind that puts you on the side of the road.........kinda stranded. Many of the problems are nuisances that need attention at some point, but not preventing you from going from A to Z on a trip.

For sure there are glitches that can arise and no one knows when/if that will or will not happen.

In most cases, you should not encounter a situation that is not quickly fixable.

Now, to give the "other side of the story", I sold my '39 Chevy streetrod a few years ago after owning it for 40 years. It contained parts from various years of various different cars/trucks. Many parts were "modified" to fit and/or work in my situation. At my age, I determined I was no longer able and/or capable of wrestling with any kind of REAL problem out on the road with it cause the remedy might takes days to get done and/or modified to fit.

So..........in that case, I understood and in your situation I understand it can be intimidating.;)

·
Registered
4 Posts

I'm thinkin' if you could poll the ex owners as to why they sold and/or traded, many would have done so because they couldn't work on it themselves and could not pin down a local reliable source to help them. I imagine some would have headed to their local "Chevy" dealer with expectations that it's a Chevy and they should know what to do...........only to find out in most cases they do not.:cautious:

I bought an 03 in October on eBay from some guy who said "It needs a Tune Up" He'd owned it for six months, and decided that it was beyond his mechanical capabilities (The man has two lifts in the massive garage attached to his house, and decided he needed the room for some other classic he has the skill-set to work on.) He bought it from a guy who bought it from the original owner who parked it in front of a Sports Bar in the Florida Sun for fifteen years covered in a massive Budweiser Logo and Restaurant Decals where his restaurant patrons posed for photos in it. The Second owner parked it for three years on the side of his house and never drove it because he couldn't find anyone who could figure out why the roof won't budge... the windows are stuck in the full up position and don't index... the Air Conditioner doesn't engage... The "Service Brakes" message illuminates constantly on the DIC and warning chimes clang incessantly despite a complete brake system overhaul... and the bed cover won't release. Three previous owners... one who appears to have more than a rudimentary set of wrench twisting skills... and they all gave up.

Based on suggestions I found here in the forum, I upgraded my basic "Code Reader" and bought a BlueDriver... It showed that I needed a couple of Oxygen Sensors. I wanted the right parts, so I went straight to my local Chevrolet Dealer. The Parts Department Manager looked it up for me.... An Oh Three? Chevrolet didn't build an SSR in Oh Three. Are you sure it's an Oh Three?

I haven't given up yet. Haven't driven it either... well... other than straight out my driveway and across the street for a quick lap through the turn around in front of the Police Station and back home again. But one of these days I hope to get it up to daily driver status. I'm finding the parts and all the information I need right here on the forum. Sometimes I buy parts on eBay... But the one place I never turn to for information or parts is my local Chevrolet Dealer.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
3,993 Posts
Thanks for everything
Ed
I hate you felt you had to get rid of it. Just curious, did you sell it or trade it in?

Nick

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bought an 03 in October on eBay from some guy who said "It needs a Tune Up" He'd owned it for six months, and decided that it was beyond his mechanical capabilities (The man has two lifts in the massive garage attached to his house, and decided he needed the room for some other classic he has the skill-set to work on.) He bought it from a guy who bought it from the original owner who parked it in front of a Sports Bar in the Florida Sun for fifteen years covered in a massive Budweiser Logo and Restaurant Decals where his restaurant patrons posed for photos in it. The Second owner parked it for three years on the side of his house and never drove it because he couldn't find anyone who could figure out why the roof won't budge... the windows are stuck in the full up position and don't index... the Air Conditioner doesn't engage... The "Service Brakes" message illuminates constantly on the DIC and warning chimes clang incessantly despite a complete brake system overhaul... and the bed cover won't release. Three previous owners... one who appears to have more than a rudimentary set of wrench twisting skills... and they all gave up.

Based on suggestions I found here in the forum, I upgraded my basic "Code Reader" and bought a BlueDriver... It showed that I needed a couple of Oxygen Sensors. I wanted the right parts, so I went straight to my local Chevrolet Dealer. The Parts Department Manager looked it up for me.... An Oh Three? Chevrolet didn't build an SSR in Oh Three. Are you sure it's an Oh Three?

I haven't given up yet. Haven't driven it either... well... other than straight out my driveway and across the street for a quick lap through the turn around in front of the Police Station and back home again. But one of these days I hope to get it up to daily driver status. I'm finding the parts and all the information I need right here on the forum. Sometimes I buy parts on eBay... But the one place I never turn to for information or parts is my local Chevrolet Dealer.
Good for you Mark !!
You must be a younger, patient, and more mechanical man than myself.
Personally I'm at the point in my life that I can weigh Cool and aggravation and
I hate you felt you had to get rid of it. Just curious, did you sell it or trade it in?

Nick

Good question Nick
I pride myself as being an honorable person.
Having said that, I had an intermittent issue with the thing starting. It had a mind of its own and I wound up buying a portable jumper. Sometimes it would go weeks, days, or months, to happen but you never knew.
Having said that !! ??
I wouldn't inflect this on anyone but a dealer.
YUP !! Trade

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,348 Posts

You live in the middle of some of the best most knowable SSR owner in the Country and you don't know where to get parts. East Coast Mafia Florida Chapter.

Didn't see you sign up for meet & great on Thursday in Lake Wales. East Coast Mafia will be there.

If you haven't given up, come by and meet some of the 257 SSR Florida Chapter.

Here is my SSR How to Library:

Dicktator

·
Premium Member
2,080 Posts
Of course mine was not new technology since it is a 2005 they had a chance to get some of the bugs out. The drive train is not exotic IMO. I have the 6 speed, so I suppose the clutch may go some day, but the LS2 is pretty bullet proof IMO.

The things that are particular to the vehicle can be different. I have had a couple of gremlins in mine, but have been able to get by with a little help from my friends. Plus a mechanic that is willing to do research to keep up with it. The speedometer and vent control are not good of course.

I better knock on wood, but we usually take a 4,000 to 5,000 mile trip (6,400 to 8,000 km to you north of the border) each year and have not had a breakdown. That excludes deer hunting and doing some fencing along the way of course.

Dave

·
Premium Member
2005 Chevy SSR
751 Posts

I would like to meet up with you sometime just to take a look at it and see if I could help you with a few of your issues. I live in Orlando area if you can start a conversation give me your contact info.

·
Premium Member
3,993 Posts
I would like to meet up with you sometime just to take a look at it and see if I could help you with a few of your issues. I live in Orlando area if you can start a conversation give me your contact info.
@Mark E ----Hows that for a deal?!?!?

Nick

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Sorry to see you traded it in but I can understand it. I think like a lot of specialty vehicles they can all have their quirks and if you are one of those who like to fix stuff you never think about the little things. Good Luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
A most magnanimous offer, and I really appreciate it. My life is one huge string of incomplete projects, each vying for space on my workbench. Right now it's covered in Tile, which had to wait for plumbing parts to disappear. Hopefully I'll be finished with the tile work by Tuesday, and I can clean it off and cover it with Plumbing stuff all over again. The SSR gets attention when time permits, and the bench has been cleared.

I really want to do a compression test before I do anything else. The truck came with new plugs and wires in a box... "All it needs is a Tune-up!" The seller managed to replace the easiest one with the help of a friend, then gave up. The wires were wrong (Too long) and the plugs while correct, were a step or two above the cheapest off the shelf at the parts store. I installed them just to see what I've got. And what I've got is a bit of a miss. A couple of Oxygen Sensors smoothed things out, but it still doesn't sound right, and the scan tool is muttering something about a knock sensor... I need to find the time to do a good diagnosis. Installing bits and pieces isn't going to do me any good if the heart of the beast needs repair. I don't know... Maybe if I got the wheels re-painted and put new tires on it I'd find the time to do a compression test and find out what it really needs. I know I've got a compression tester out there... I saw it maybe three weeks ago when I was putting a pipe cutter away.

I've run a block test, and confirmed that I'm not getting any exhaust gasses in the coolant. Installed new hoses and thermostat from Simple Engineering. An instrument Cluster repair withe new and improved stepper motors from the skilled hands of Dicktator now gives me a functional temperature guage. There's an unopened box out there containing one of Mikes better than factory fan assemblies. I think it's under a box holding a freshly milled solid aluminum Hood Emblem to replace the poorly repaired OEM Plastic part. (Seriously.... Who in their right mind fiberglasses blocks of wood onto a plastic emblem, so they can attempt to affix it to a hood with wood screws?)

I'll keep plugging along, and eventually pull this thing together. I'm not ready to tear it apart, but I'm not ready to give up either. Maybe one of these day's I'll get it running right, and I can take that two hour drive over to Ocoee so you can exorcise some demons.

·
Premium Member
3,993 Posts
@Mark E, WOW, too many irons in the fire for me!! Just a suggestion, when you start working on it, start a new thread so comments/replies won't get lost in this one that 04 Silver Bullet started.

Nick

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
A most magnanimous offer, and I really appreciate it. My life is one huge string of incomplete projects, each vying for space on my workbench. Right now it's covered in Tile, which had to wait for plumbing parts to disappear. Hopefully I'll be finished with the tile work by Tuesday, and I can clean it off and cover it with Plumbing stuff all over again. The SSR gets attention when time permits, and the bench has been cleared.

I really want to do a compression test before I do anything else. The truck came with new plugs and wires in a box... "All it needs is a Tune-up!" The seller managed to replace the easiest one with the help of a friend, then gave up. The wires were wrong (Too long) and the plugs while correct, were a step or two above the cheapest off the shelf at the parts store. I installed them just to see what I've got. And what I've got is a bit of a miss. A couple of Oxygen Sensors smoothed things out, but it still doesn't sound right, and the scan tool is muttering something about a knock sensor... I need to find the time to do a good diagnosis. Installing bits and pieces isn't going to do me any good if the heart of the beast needs repair. I don't know... Maybe if I got the wheels re-painted and put new tires on it I'd find the time to do a compression test and find out what it really needs. I know I've got a compression tester out there... I saw it maybe three weeks ago when I was putting a pipe cutter away.

I've run a block test, and confirmed that I'm not getting any exhaust gasses in the coolant. Installed new hoses and thermostat from Simple Engineering. An instrument Cluster repair withe new and improved stepper motors from the skilled hands of Dicktator now gives me a functional temperature guage. There's an unopened box out there containing one of Mikes better than factory fan assemblies. I think it's under a box holding a freshly milled solid aluminum Hood Emblem to replace the poorly repaired OEM Plastic part. (Seriously.... Who in their right mind fiberglasses blocks of wood onto a plastic emblem, so they can attempt to affix it to a hood with wood screws?)

I'll keep plugging along, and eventually pull this thing together. I'm not ready to tear it apart, but I'm not ready to give up either. Maybe one of these day's I'll get it running right, and I can take that two hour drive over to Ocoee so you can exorcise some demons.
My head would actually Explode if I had all that going on.
Sir !!
You take multitasking to a new level.
Good luck to you

·
Registered
4 Posts
My head would actually Explode if I had all that going on.
Sir !!
You take multitasking to a new level.
Good luck to you
I just take it one small bite at a time. I'm not ready to give up, and I'm not taking it to the Chevy Dealer. It will all come together eventually. Without the knowledge imparted by this group I would have listed it on eBay and walked away long ago.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,193 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts