Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody purchased these. Are they covers or do they replace the factory pedal. Being an all thumbs person how difficult are they to put on?

jhs

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
jhs said:
Has anybody purchased these. Are they covers or do they replace the factory pedal. Being an all thumbs person how difficult are they to put on?

jhs

I've purchased the automatic. The dead pedal is a stick on. The brake is a simple replacement. The Gas is another question. I've heard several took off the gas pedal to install. My instructions said to cut off the retaining bolt and rebolt with a replacement. So I've not done the gas yet.

·
Premium Member
9,382 Posts
I'll try to locate on old thread on it. It was a painful process, and really does require removing the entire pedal/sensor system. Removing the electrical connection without damaging it was also a pain.

I had at first attempted it by cutting the pedal off with a dremel, but the pin is hardened steel and too much for the dremel to handle. There are three bolts holding the pedal assembly in place, and after doing it once, this time I'm going to purchase a ratcheting box end wrench to get the top one off - not enough space for a ratchet handle and socket.

It's worth it though. Looks great once done.

By the way, the $50 pedal set ($60 for a 4 pedal set) is a good purchase. Purchasing the entire pedal assembly is a very expensive way to go, and still requires a re & re. Once you have the pedal off, popping the pin is very easy.

Ray

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,369 Posts
jhs said:

jhs
The ones I purchased off EBay were supposedly from the company that makes them for the SSR. It was easy, pulloff the brake by prying the rubber from around the metal pedal and place the new one on by pulling the rubber around the metal pad. The gas is easier to do with the pedal off the vehicle, it's not that hard to take off, just awkward being under the dash. Pull a pin out, remove the pedal, place the new one in it's place and put the pin back in.

:seeya

·
Registered
135 Posts
The set I purchashed was from GM. It came with a new gas pedal assembly. I could't get to the bolts under the dash. I had Chevy do it. They charged one hour labor. Well worth it for me. The brake and dead pedal were not a problem. I have seen some aftermarket peddles that do not come with the entire assembly for the gas pedal. I have an extra gas pedal assemply in the garage now.:banghead

·
Registered
39 Posts
jhs said:

jhs
DON'T THINK THEY LOOK VERY GOOD.....LOOKS LIKE SOME
HIGH SCHOOL KID DESIGNED THEM...I'M LEAV'N MINE STOCK
'TILL THEY COME OUT WITH SOME GOOD ONES....

·
Registered
135 Posts
I love the look. They really dress up the interior. Just goes to prove beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

·
Premium Member
9,382 Posts
I liked them on the 03. Waiting for hte 06 to get here to install the same pedals.

Ray

·
OP
8,226 Posts
GM only

No sweat. Hardes part was brake pad. Stretching the new one on was tough.
Gas pedal assembly is quite simple but takes patience.
Unplug switch, remove 3 bolts, replace, took 10 minutes tops. Brake pad took at least 30 minutes, maybe more. Dead pedal, clean surface with alcohol, used heat gun to help adhesive, done.

Nice thing is that I can always go back to OEM, no problem...

·
Resident Rocket Scientist
11,997 Posts
Trick for the brake pedal is to warm it up a little with a heat gun or blow dryer. Gas pedal is a pain to remove since one of the three bolts is in a position that you can only turn it one flat at a time. Once the assembly is out, you can drive the pin out of the pedal, install the new pedal, drive the pin back in and re-install the assembly. All three pedals is about a 30 minute install.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Satin pedals

Just purchased a set off E-bay last week. Have not arrived yet. According to seller they are new GM original merchandise, GM part # 17800256. Include gas pedal assembly, brake and dead petal. $144.00 shipped. Factory list was 180.00. Seller has another set for sale on e-bay if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I bought the set with the gas pedal assembly. The gas pedal assembly was quite simply to remove with a gearwrench. Make sure to have the ignition off when you change it. It took me forever to change the clutch and break pedal pads. Mine hands were cramped up after I finished, even after heating those aggravating things up. It probably took about 45 minutes to do. It looks real good now. The factory black pedals you couldnt even see.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Getting them in bright chrome

Does anyone know the actual manufacturer of the pedals? I was hoping to get them in bright chrome to match my chrome package?

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts
Wildcat66 had a set that I liked. So I contacted the guy "ACC4_____?" on ebay via his email. he gave the complete details on how to install. I have the complete auto set-up dead-pedal included and yea the gas pedal replacement was not easy, but I did it. They are great looking

1 - 14 of 14 Posts