CJ

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,094 Posts
i was told that these can be polished to chrome that is under the satin
is there a thread that describes how to do this

thanks
CJ
:blue:We think that the satin finish is painted. No chrome, you can purchase chorme accesserys
Actually, yes, many of the satin parts can be polished to a chrome like finish. I think my post is what you were thinking of. I've polished a few parts and nobody has known otherwise. Interior and exterior handles, front spear and hood emblem are the parts I have played with.

Nothing special needed as the parts are coated with a layer of aluminum from the factory, they them use a brillo pad type material to provide the brushed finish. That is why I build billet parts, you can brush or polish any of my parts to match the rest of the vehicle.

The process I used is to use a buffing pad and get some fine metal rouge. I used a green stick that was sold at Lowes but is also available at many other places like Northern Tool or Harbor Freight ..... Apply the rouge to a soft buffing pad mounted on a dremel or a drill and guff away until the finish appears. It will take a little work and you must be careful to not get the plastic parts too hot because the metal coatings will pull away from the plastic due to heat if you spend too much time in one spot for too long. I did it to a spot or two when I tested my theory but luckily they were spots in areas not easily seen.

The finish is very chrome like, in fact I have chrome arm rest grab handles and polished door opener handles installed in my doors and they look the same.

Good luck

PS - To show you what you get for the effort here's a comparison picture between a satin and a polished hood emblem.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
Actually, yes, many of the satin parts can be polished to a chrome like finish. I think my post is what you were thinking of. I've polished a few parts and nobody has known otherwise. Interior and exterior handles, front spear and hood emblem are the parts I have played with.

Nothing special needed as the parts are coated with a layer of aluminum from the factory, they them use a brillo pad type material to provide the brushed finish. That is why I build billet parts, you can brush or polish any of my parts to match the rest of the vehicle.

The process I used is to use a buffing pad and get some fine metal rouge. I used a green stick that was sold at Lowes but is also available at many other places like Northern Tool or Harbor Freight ..... Apply the rouge to a soft buffing pad mounted on a dremel or a drill and guff away until the finish appears. It will take a little work and you must be careful to not get the plastic parts too hot because the metal coatings will pull away from the plastic due to heat if you spend too much time in one spot for too long. I did it to a spot or two when I tested my theory but luckily they were spots in areas not easily seen.

The finish is very chrome like, in fact I have chrome arm rest grab handles and polished door opener handles installed in my doors and they look the same.

Good luck

PS - To show you what you get for the effort here's a comparison picture between a satin and a polished hood emblem.
I did these with a Dremel. Took about 25 minutes each....would have been much easier if I had a large polisher/wheel.

Attachments

·
SS Owner, Not SSR But SS
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nice and thanks guys

·
SS Owner, Not SSR But SS
2,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bump on this thread cause i got a question about it on facebook

1 - 11 of 11 Posts