Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:cheers I was so stoked to see a red SSR outside of Warrenton, Va. today on the road. It looks absolutely awesome on the road. That truck is definately me. I thought I was seeing things. I could not believe my eyes, but it was for real. Top was up because it was so hot out but man, that baby looks sooooo coooollll.....I bet they paid a lot for it. Way over sticker for sure. Most dealers seem to be asking 58K right now. I will have to wait till it comes down to 45K but that should not be too long, maybe a year or so. It will be worth the wait.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try, where is around here?

Troy, are you from the Warrenton, VA. area? Just wondering where "around here" is in regards to you.

I

·
0 Posts
Are you sure this is an actual production model or maybe just one of GM's road test mules.I know that Chrysler had some 25 or so early early PT's that Engineers and some Management drove for some months before actual production really kicked in.The reason I ask is because everything I have read or seen indicates not being available(outside the Signature Series)until August.

InfernoRed :)

J

·
0 Posts
i wish i could see one on the road u never see sweet cars in michigan until years after they come out

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One for the road...

It looked like a production model to me but I did not check to see if it had plates or not. It went by me too quick to check for that. It sure looked like the production model to me. Either way, it sure was sweet seeing the real deal on the road. There was a man and a woman in it. No stickers or anything like that on it either.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I'm in Grosse Pointe, Michigan. I see early models of GM vehicles on a regular basis around here. Various GM employees and execs can be seen driving them before they are generally available.

A

·
0 Posts
That was definately a test vehicle you saw! Production has not even started yet.......not for a few more weeks. You can tell by seeing the MFR license plate on the back. Be patient, they will be out soon!

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks

:cheers Test vehicle or not, it sure was a visual delight. I feel very fortunate to have gotten a glimpse of the real deal. I wonder what they were doing way out in Warrenton, VA? Hopefully they will be at the dealers when I get back from Costa Rica in August.

I

·
0 Posts
If it was a road test mule(which it probably was)and they were that far away from Detroit...it was probably a simple combonation of two things.The first and most obvious......getting it out in public for reaction and "spreading the news" so to speak,basic marketing research(something I just don't see how the Aztek made it through......).The second,racking up miles to see how wear and tear on the design as is will affect it for early potential changes.Regardless of how fast this machine sells early on...as with all new vehicles,there will doubtless be unseen things that develope and produce TSBs and recalls.The obvious facts of launching any new vehicle.

InfernoRed

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Buying a road test mule...?

How exactly can one purchase one of the road test mules? Do they ever offer them up for sale when they are done with them? Just how long do they use them? I would be curious to know those answers if anyone here on the forum has a clue, I would appreciate it.

P

·
0 Posts
I just found this message board.
i want an SSR but is it true that 2005 will come with a manual tranny? That will be the bomb.:D

I

·
0 Posts
Cruzned....normally and I say NORMALLY one can not buy one of the road test mules.They do not usually have a VIN number...because they are a prototype.Usually a few will survive to be put in the parent company's museum(if they have one...such as Chrysler's museum in Detroit).Most are simply destroyed and lost to auto history...like many concept cars.Or are used for crash test data when the road work is finished.However,a few do slip though the grooves so to speak.

One of the original road test mule PTs showed up at a recent PT get together.It was essentially a dead on for the regular everyday PT.Minor visual differences such as the rear hatch latch wa completely different than the production version an there was no VIN.As a result,the proud owners can not legally plate it..so outside of trailer queening and driving it around lots at shows...it is just a large but rare display piece.It is insurable though as a piece of property...for the usual type of things...fire,theft..so on so forth.

Also,one of the road test mule T-Birds recently went up for sale on E-Bay....from FoMoCo themselves if I am not mistaken.It was used in it's final duty as a crash test vehicle.And was being sold as it ended up.....mangled...complete with holes drilled in it where sensors had been mounted for data collection.It to had no VIN...so no repair no drive.

I would just wait for production to start.

InfernoRed :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts