Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my SSR into service for some basic minor fixes including fixing the radio reception. At first I was impressed by the service writers knowledge and how familiar he was with some of the common issues such as the infamous "tink". But this morning I received a call that has caused some concern.
They called and said my radio reception problem( I get no AM reception and very poor FM reception) was due to the way the Sirius radio was wired and connected to the existing radio. I indicated that the problem was there before the install, and that there was no wired connection to the existing radio. He was surprised and asked "then how does it connect to the radio?". When I explained that it was a wireless FM transmission, he was sounded surprised, confused and had never heard of this.
Should be interesting to see how the rest of the repairs go.

·
Original SSR Centerfold
3,146 Posts
Ask them to test the continuity of the windshield antenna. If they put a tester on it there should be a reading from one end to the other. Many of us have had breaks in the antenna that causes very poor reception.

·
Banned
183 Posts
TerryH said:
Took my SSR into service for some basic minor fixes including fixing the radio reception. At first I was impressed by the service writers knowledge and how familiar he was with some of the common issues such as the infamous "tink". But this morning I received a call that has caused some concern.
They called and said my radio reception problem( I get no AM reception and very poor FM reception) was due to the way the Sirius radio was wired and connected to the existing radio. I indicated that the problem was there before the install, and that there was no wired connection to the existing radio. He was surprised and asked "then how does it connect to the radio?". When I explained that it was a wireless FM transmission, he was sounded surprised, confused and had never heard of this.

Oh Boy, that is scary. What are they saying the "Tink" is from. I hear it on mine as well. Is there a fix for it??

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
They said the tink is from the Jack-in-the-Box in the bed of the truck and he is going to spring up any second now :jester oops there he is! :lol

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
you can see any gaps in the antenna for the poor radio reception. if there are the correct way to repair it is to replace the windshield, and for the driveshaft tink there was a bulletin to replace the driveshaft but the bulletin is not there anymore becouse it didn't work. as of right now you will have to live with it, you can replce the driveshaft but the noise will come back.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I checked the antenna and couldn't see a break anywhere. I hadn't planned on having the driveshaft replaced because I didn't want to wait for the part. But they had one they had ordered for someone else, and they hadn't returned, so I thought I'd give it a try.
I'll let you know the results.

·
Banned
183 Posts
wingrider said:
you can see any gaps in the antenna for the poor radio reception. if there are the correct way to repair it is to replace the windshield, and for the driveshaft tink there was a bulletin to replace the driveshaft but the bulletin is not there anymore becouse it didn't work. as of right now you will have to live with it, you can replce the driveshaft but the noise will come back.
Oh well its not that annoying anyway.

·
Original SSR Centerfold
3,146 Posts
TerryH said:
I checked the antenna and couldn't see a break anywhere. I hadn't planned on having the driveshaft replaced because I didn't want to wait for the part. But they had one they had ordered for someone else, and they hadn't returned, so I thought I'd give it a try.
I'll let you know the results.

I had a gap in mine that I could not see. The only way I found it was with a continuity meter. There was a very fine break up near the top.

Take a test lead or a 3 foot piece of wire. Hold the end to the connector on the top of the windshield, then drape the wire over the windshield. If the antenna is bad this wire should act as an antenna and you should get better reception.

I'm on driveshaft #3 and this one is starting to tink after about 3000 miles.

·
Registered
615 Posts
TerryH said:
People really listen to the radio? I just play home made cd's and listen to the great pipes. Come spring I will redue the exhaust with electric cutouts one of the few things saved from the Mustang. Wide open behind the Cats, what a great sound it was plus 19 "Honest" RWHP, the SSR should be a bigger gain.

·
Registered
153 Posts
New Windshield???????

wingrider said:

I just got back from the dealer for the reception problem. The "antenna" is printed on the inside of the windshield. Who ever came up with this idea should be taken out behind the woodshed and wouped. :smash My "antenna" lookes like someone scraped a chunk out of it with a razor blade. SO, they have a windsield on order. The old way of doing the antenna was IN the windshield, It did'nt work well but at least it could not be damaged. :smash

As for the driveshaft "tink" put a CD in the player and crank it up............
:party on Dudes and Dudets

PocoToro and MY $0.02 :cheers

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
PocoToro said:
I just got back from the dealer for the reception problem. The "antenna" is printed on the inside of the windshield. Who ever came up with this idea should be taken out behind the woodshed and wouped. :smash My "antenna" lookes like someone scraped a chunk out of it with a razor blade. SO, they have a windsield on order. The old way of doing the antenna was IN the windshield, It did'nt work well but at least it could not be damaged. :smash

As for the driveshaft "tink" put a CD in the player and crank it up............
:party on Dudes and Dudets

PocoToro and MY $0.02 :cheers

Be sure that they order you a GM certified, SSR windshield!!!

·
Registered
153 Posts
wildcat66 said:
Be sure that they order you a GM certified, SSR windshield!!!
Thanks for the advice...........Yes my dealer did get a GM certified, SSR windshield.
I took a while to get :ssr to the dealer for repair. December has been snowy and icy and I have a 9% grade on my drive way, so timing was important...........

Now I have a radio:party

1 - 12 of 12 Posts