Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm so mad. I got 2 scratches on the top of the back door (is that what it's called, never had a truck) where it meets the cargo cover. They are not that visible but I know they are there. They seem deep and the paint seem to be gone in the area. They are both as thick one human hair (maybe twice as thick on one of them). One of them is half an inch and the other (the thinner one) is 1.5 inch. It's making me crazy. I tried to take a picture in the garage but I can not get a good picture in that lighting. You can barely see them in the garage but under the sun you can see them. Any suggestions of how to get rid of them? The car wash place said to paint the whole panel, I don't want that... If I only knew who'd done it....

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Be careful!

It might have been YOU! Seriously, if the scratches are through the paint (not just the clear), then you have no choice but to repaint the panel. Now if the clear is only scratched, you may can get an accomplished painter to "fill in" the scratches with clear and polish it out. If it is not through, then it most likely can be buffed out.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Rubbing compound shoud work but I would try a Polishing compound first. I had what I thought were scratches also and got them out with a lite polishing compound, well I didn't do it but my paint guy fixed it for me!

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I see a bit of whitish color. Is that through and through? You can barely see them but you can feel them with your nail.

·
Registered
112 Posts
That may be all the way though but it is still worth a try with Polishing compound.

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
redssrloaded said:
I'm so mad. I got 2 scratches on the top of the back door (is that what it's called, never had a truck) where it meets the cargo cover. They are not that visible but I know they are there. They seem deep and the paint seem to be gone in the area. They are both as thick one human hair (maybe twice as thick on one of them). One of them is half an inch and the other (the thinner one) is 1.5 inch. It's making me crazy. I tried to take a picture in the garage but I can not get a good picture in that lighting. You can barely see them in the garage but under the sun you can see them. Any suggestions of how to get rid of them? The car wash place said to paint the whole panel, I don't want that... If I only knew who'd done it....
This won't help your current problem, but when I had an Invisi-Bra put on the front of the truck, I had them put a strip across the top of the tailgate - seems to get a lot of wear just putting light stuff in and out. Works pretty well now and you can't see it unless you're looking for it.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
any help guys on what to buy and how to apply?

S

·
0 Posts
There was a thread in mid March about the clear bra, I use it on my Audi (ski car) and after 20 trips un & down Mt. Hood there is not a ding in my Black paint. DOT in Oregon uses gravel for traction I SWEAR by the stuff, already planning on putting it on SLYDUR. Here is the FAQ web site for on of the compaines that has info on it. Make sure you have a good wax job on the surface first. http://www.ultrashield-greenbay.com/faqs.htm

S

·
0 Posts
That's what my installer tells me but makes sense if you ever want to take it off.

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
redssrloaded said:
any help guys on what to buy and how to apply?
Guy that did mine subscribes to a 3M website that provides the exact cutting instructions to a CAD driving cutter. Makes it a perfect fit for the specific vehicle. He doesn't use a 3M product, though - uses something called Xpel. The waranty is better. Don't know how he prepped it - although I had wax on it. You can order the stuff yourself (cut) from 3M - but I'm not coordinated enough to be messing with large sheets of adhesive backed poly-vinyl on my baby.:smash

·
Registered
112 Posts
There are newer products out there other than 3M, 3M makes it look a little like orange peel or magnifies it, the newer stuff is alot clearer! I think it is called Llumar.

·
Premium Member
2,631 Posts
Too Redssrloaded;
You decribed that the scratch is a whitish color. This is good. When you scratch just the clear coat finish on a car that is what it looks like. Usually a light wet sanding with 2000 grid sand paper and a buffing afterward will make it disappear. A rule of thumb is if you can catch the edge of your fingernail in the scratch it is to deep to buff out. Then the only thing left is to refinish the panel again. Hope this help you:thumbs :thumbs

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm so happy

I was driving home today and saw a body shop still open. I stopped by to see what they thought of my problem. The owner's daughter ( yes a girl, in her 20's) looked at it and said that was still in clear coat. She took it inside and 15 minutes later she came out with one scratch all gone and the other one 99% gone. She said she did not want to buff anymore but the dad said he can get that off too when I bring it back for a wash and wax. They charged me $30!! I thought that was a great price on a great job. They are going to charge me $50 for hand wash and wax. Life is good.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts