Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it was finally my turn. I've got a dry wall screw in the left rear tire, right about in the center of the tread, resulting in a pretty good leak. I was lucky that I made it home! I guess it's just a matter of time for everybody. :mad

Of all the problems, big and small, that we have with any of our vehicles, not having a spare (or run-flats instead) is probably the most stupid feature designed into any vehicle I've ever owned.

Anyone else feel this way, or am I off base here? There are several ways to get around this problem:

Run-flats; a space-saver spare that could be sized for two different diameters; a normal space-saver spare with a limp-by mode in the computer that a simple switch would change the program to fool it into thinking that the spare was full-sized; any other ideas?

I feel better now. :lol

·
Registered
893 Posts
2005 Magnun vs SSR

My wifes 2005 Magnum Srt8 has sealent type tires...........Why didn't they at least do something like that???????

·
Premium Member
9,353 Posts
Should be the same kit as in the SSR - it's there, but haven't had to use it yet.

The Dakota Digital TPMS got me out of trouble once - highly recommended for anyone taking their SSR on the highway.

Ray

·
Registered
217 Posts
Peaches said:
Well, it was finally my turn. I've got a dry wall screw in the left rear tire, right about in the center of the tread, resulting in a pretty good leak. I was lucky that I made it home! I guess it's just a matter of time for everybody. :mad

Of all the problems, big and small, that we have with any of our vehicles, not having a spare (or run-flats instead) is probably the most stupid feature designed into any vehicle I've ever owned.

Anyone else feel this way, or am I off base here? There are several ways to get around this problem:

Run-flats; a space-saver spare that could be sized for two different diameters; a normal space-saver spare with a limp-by mode in the computer that a simple switch would change the program to fool it into thinking that the spare was full-sized; any other ideas?

I feel better now. :lol
:agree

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I don't understand? We all have the sealant kit and pump behind the drivers seat in thta plastic box. If you don't, have your dealer get you one. It is part of the truck and they ain't cheap! :confused :thumbs

B

·
0 Posts
:agree
cruzned said:
I don't understand? We all have the sealant kit and pump behind the drivers seat in thta plastic box. If you don't, have your dealer get you one. It is part of the truck and they ain't cheap! :confused :thumbs
:agree :yesnod :seeya

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In a thread some time back, someone had commented that he would never use the sealant kit included with the vehicle because it cost $150 to replace it! If that's true, that money would buy almost 3 years towing service from AAA, or fix 15 flats, or buy a new tire.

Seriously though, the sealant kit would be good out in the sticks somewhere, but I don't think it's a practical way to address a simple flat in the city. After using it, we still have to get the tire fixed by someone who is not going to be happy about the gook inside the tire, and we have to go to the dealer to get another expensive kit (that he may well have to order anyway).

I was lucky enough to get it home, so I'll pull off the wheel and get it fixed today. :thumbs

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Sealer

THE SEALER IS AVALABLE FROM GM BY IT'S SELF. PART # IS 9593932. IT LIST'S FOR $54.86 COST ON IT IS $34.40 FROM ME. IF YOU LIKE TO CARRY ONE EXTRA OR WHAT EVER. I PUT ONE IN MY CADILLAC CTS-V AFTER I CHANGED THE TIRES FROM RUN FLATS. MAKES THE RIDE ALOT SOFTER. PLUS THEY WERE CHEAPER THEN THE RUN FLATS. PLUS I ONLY GOT A LITTLE OVER 11,000 OUT OF THEM. WE HAD A CUTOMER COME IN HE WAS COMPLAINING HE ONLY GOT 9,000 ON HIS. I TOLD HIM HE MUST DRIVE IT HARDER THEN ME. THEY ARE A VERY SOFT COMPOND. HE ALSO DID THE SAME . I ALSO WENT OUT AND BOUGHT AN AIR COMPRESSER FOR IT. BECAUSE IT SEEMS I HAVE MAGNETIC TIRES :lol I SEEM TO PICK UP EVERYTHING. SO YOU CAN PM ME IF YOU LIKE IF YOU NEED THE SEALER....THANKS MARK... :seeya

·
I'm not cool...
2,096 Posts
get a tire plug kit!

I have used them many times in different cars I have owned, you just pull out the screw (or whatever, screwdriver, diagonal cutters...) put some tire cement on the plug and stick it in, shave off the excess and fill with air. these repairs are usually permanent ;)
it's easier than waiting for a tow :flag

Attachments

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Anybody have experience with what air pressures to run in these low profile tires? Or should we stick with what the book recommends? (Sometimes our actual driving experience is a better indicator of how much air we should have.) I remember somewhere here that these tires wear faster in the middle no matter if the pressure is a little low or high. Just wondering. . . . :skep

1 - 13 of 13 Posts