Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Pacific Blue
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an issue with the seat belt alarm staying on all the time. I looked around, searched posts and have not seen this reported. Looking back at some Seat Removal posts from 2006 and 2012, it looks like the connector is under the seat? Seat needs to be unbolted to gain access to the connector. If I take loose the front bolts only, will this allow it to tip up enough to gain access to the connector? What is the sensor located? It must be in the buckle end, not the clip? Could the contacts be dirty? Is pulling the fuse for the airbags enough to safely pull on this connector?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

·
Premium Member
2,677 Posts
I have an issue with the seat belt alarm staying on all the time. I looked around, searched posts and have not seen this reported. Looking back at some Seat Removal posts from 2006 and 2012, it looks like the connector is under the seat? Seat needs to be unbolted to gain access to the connector. If I take loose the front bolts only, will this allow it to tip up enough to gain access to the connector? What is the sensor located? It must be in the buckle end, not the clip? Could the contacts be dirty? Is pulling the fuse for the airbags enough to safely pull on this connector?

Yes, air bag fuse will disable air bags.
You will need to remove rear bolts to lean seat back.
Actually at a car show so i cant help with diagram or location of switch. Usallay its the small wires at base of buckle that break on other models, i am not aware of a common failure on the SSRs though.
I will supply digrams and connectors views tomorrow AM if you still need them.
Note there are also small two wire connectors under the seat that are for heaters.

·
Ex SoCal Nut
9,897 Posts
Agree with autoprof, also, Do Not make it a Habit of Kneeling on the seat bottoms. They have the small diameter wires to trigger whether or not there is a real person sitting in the seat. They can be broken by kneeling and send wrong signals. The seat heaters are affected by this, too.

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,546 Posts

This may sound dumb but is the passenger seat completely empty? In my pickup if the dog or my briefcase is in the passengers seat it will buzz but eventually stops if I ignore it and just drive. Just a thought.

·
Ex SoCal Nut
9,897 Posts
Auggie... I have found out that Not Everybody has the "ignore gene" that we do. They're incapable of "ignoring anything"... Sorry but, I'm surrounded by them in this household... I, on the other hand can ignore Anything I want to....

·
Premium Member
2,677 Posts
I heard no response so here is some more information
Based on a TSB -- first try to look for and remove any foreign debris.
They say NO CLEANERS as it may effect the plastic. -- might try a vacuum or blow nozzle from compressor into buckle assembly.

Next you will want to try and find a black two wire connector (shown in picture 1) It has a black and a Dark green wire on one side and two black wires on the other side - it should be clipped to the underside of right side seat frame near buckle. This shows two black wires - because this is the side that goes towards the buckle the other side has the metal clip (hook) to clip into seat frame with a tab you depress to separate

See picture 2 for wire routing from outside - NOTE the Bolt is a torx head T50 and they use lock-tite, so it is difficult to remove even though torque is only 41lbft.

You can bypass for testing by placing a jumper wire ( you will be jumping the male side of the connector so might be easiest to do from backside of connector) You will be jumping on the DK green and black wire side of connector. Picture 3 show the wiring diagram
seat belt switch (2).jpg
seat buckle image (2).jpg
seat belt diagram.jpg

·
Ex SoCal Nut
9,897 Posts
I heard no response so here is some more information
Based on a TSB -- first try to look for and remove any foreign debris.
They say NO CLEANERS as it may effect the plastic. -- might try a vacuum or blow nozzle from compressor into buckle assembly.

Next you will want to try and find a black two wire connector (shown in picture 1) It has a black and a Dark green wire on one side and two black wires on the other side - it should be clipped to the underside of right side seat frame near buckle. This shows two black wires - because this is the side that goes towards the buckle the other side has the metal clip (hook) to clip into seat frame with a tab you depress to separate

See picture 2 for wire routing from outside - NOTE the Bolt is a torx head T50 and they use lock-tite, so it is difficult to remove even though torque is only 41lbft.

You can bypass for testing by placing a jumper wire ( you will be jumping the male side of the connector so might be easiest to do from backside of connector) You will be jumping on the DK green and black wire side of connector. Picture 3 show the wiring diagram
View attachment 580084 View attachment 580085 View attachment 580086
Good Thought... never would have considered the "Pepsi Syndrome"....

·
Registered
2006 Pacific Blue
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, will take a closer look at it this weekend.

·
Registered
2006 Pacific Blue
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, so finally have a nice 95°F day to work in the garage! Removed the airbag fuse just to be safe at the beginning. Pulled the seat forward and fished around for wires near the buckle. Found them on both sides. Two black wires and a green connector. Unplugged it and checked for continuity with and without the buckle. Either way, buckle or no buckle, it was open. Same thing on passenger side. Going to take it for a drive and see what happens, but I did expect to go from open to closed when I inserted the buckle.

Any thoughts?

seat belt plug.jpg

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
9,908 Posts
OK, so finally have a nice 95°F day to work in the garage! Removed the airbag fuse just to be safe at the beginning. Pulled the seat forward and fished around for wires near the buckle. Found them on both sides. Two black wires and a green connector. Unplugged it and checked for continuity with and without the buckle. Either way, buckle or no buckle, it was open. Same thing on passenger side. Going to take it for a drive and see what happens, but I did expect to go from open to closed when I inserted the buckle.

Any thoughts?

View attachment 582107
Actually it goes open when the buckle is removed and should show a short when it is inserted. There are two contacts in the seat belt buckle that use the male insert part to complete the circuit. Try inserting and releasing the buckle a bunch of times with your meter connected to the two sockets in the connector. You may have some surface corrosion on the contacts that is keeping from completing the circuit.......

Regards,

Mike

·
Premium Member
2,677 Posts
Your meter leads may not be making good connection.
Use t pins as adapters
If alarm still on after test drive, you can try to jumper the two wire on seat side (not on buckle side) and see if light is now shut off.

·
Registered
2006 Pacific Blue
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mike, if the buckle contact is dirty, contact cleaner should help, right? Thanks for the input, trying to figure this out. Odd, they both act the same.

Prof, regarding the test drive, the light came on, as normal, but no chimes. Should I short both buckles, or just the drivers? Will give just the driver's a chance next. Guess that simulates the contact is being made. Worst case I leave the short in if the buckle won't clean up per Mike's advice?

Thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
If cleaning it doesn't fix it let me know what part you need I have a set of seats I am going to be taking apart, may have what you need

·
Registered
2006 Pacific Blue
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I may take a buckle just to test. Maybe the other half of the connector cut off. I am in Fenton.

·
Premium Member
2,677 Posts
I had another thought.
@Stlhotrod @StLDave
what color is the conector going to the buckle?
My diagram shows a black connector for the male side. I believe his picture is female side His picture is a green connector. I am not where i can look that up at the moment. That might be seat heater being a different color.
What color are the wires on other side of connector. Be sure they match wiring digram in previous post.
BEFORE you do anything else.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
I haven't got the seat close by right now. It is in storage and am going over a little later to grab it. I will let you know.

·
Registered
2006 Pacific Blue
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Prof, both sides of the connector are green. Pretty sure the wires are the same as well. There is another small connector under the seat, and a much larger one. Below is the small one. It does look like Black and Green, maybe this is it? Will need to dig the truck back out and check! Grand kids today, so probably much later!

Yeah, I do not want to short the seat heat leads! However, when I tested the buckle, I did conductivity and resistance, both cases were open, so it does not sound like a heater. I guess if it is the drivers seat, then passenger may not have an issue. See if you have a more specific diagram showing more details?

Hotrod, do you have the truck? What I really need to see is the wire off the buckle, which is fastened to the floor.

seat belt plug 2.jpg

1 - 20 of 30 Posts