Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be addressed in another thread but I failed to find anything searching for it. I'm 6'4" and have a problem with my right leg hurting where the bolster pad pushes on it. I'm to the point I think I'll have to modify the padding to stop the issue. Has anyone else had this problem and how did you fix it?

·
Premium Member
6,355 Posts
Been talked about many times.:frown2: Good luck. A simple fix I use is place a kitchen chair cushion on the seat to get me up higher.

:black::smile2:

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,898 Posts
Had same problem in another car. I found a gel waffle cushion with cloth cover at WalMart for $20 that worked so good I bought one and trimmed it for my motorcycle seat.
Greg

Reactions: S2NAZ

·
Premium Member
2,772 Posts
I believe that someone else addressed this issue by adding a 1 inch thick piece of foam under the seat cushion that was the same size as the insert. This would effectively reduce the impact of the bolster. I am going to try that approach when I redo the seats covers. Hopefully whoever that was will chime in with more information.
Like others have said, removing my wallet has helped.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea the wallet thing, never ever sit on it in a car... just doesn't work. Adding a pad was a thought but I really don't want to sit any higher than I already am. I was hoping this issue was semi common, and please excuse my ignorance in searching for the topic... still kinda new at this stuff. Still think I'm going the modify the side bolster route, softer or thinner foam. Just wondered if it had been done before.

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
I believe that someone else addressed this issue by adding a 1 inch thick piece of foam under the seat cushion that was the same size as the insert. This would effectively reduce the impact of the bolster. I am going to try that approach when I redo the seats covers. Hopefully whoever that was will chime in with more information.
Like others have said, removing my wallet has helped.
:smile2:
That hole in the drivers door is where your wallet goes as you're getting in. Then grab as you're getting out..............works for me.:wink2:

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
These trucks weren't designed well for larger people. Heck I'm 5'11" and have the seat all the way down and a half inch for the back. Can't imagine how you big guys shoehorn yourself in... just sayin.

·
Perfectionist
523 Posts
I'm 6'4" also, I am fairly comfortable in mine. But I am also used to just being fairly comfortable in about anything! D

·
I DO WINDOWS
8,824 Posts
6'4" right leg would start to hurt after two hours on the road. Had 1" foam added to center of seat only. I can drive 5 hours with no pain now. Sill need to garb left leg to get in without dragging foot on plastic kick panel.

·
RED SLED
439 Posts
Well, I'm 5'7 and don't have any problem at all... Short Guys Rule! HA! LOL!!!

Attachments

Reactions: SSReplay

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Yea the wallet thing, never ever sit on it in a car... just doesn't work. Adding a pad was a thought but I really don't want to sit any higher than I already am. I was hoping this issue was semi common, and please excuse my ignorance in searching for the topic... still kinda new at this stuff. Still think I'm going the modify the side bolster route, softer or thinner foam. Just wondered if it had been done before.
Stepchild,
I am 6' 2" and weigh 205. Fortunately the SSR seat has never bothered me. However my wife bought me a 2017 Corvette Grand Sport and I could not even drive for an hour without having excruciating hip pain. The Corvette guys are removing the upholstery and are drilling hundreds of small holes in the bolsters to soften them. I did not want to do that so I purchased a Tempur Pedic seat cushion. It took away my discomfort but I did not enjoy using it.

I found a solution in the most unexpected place. Please be patient, this will take a bit to explain. We drove the GS to Nevada from Florida to attend the Ron Fellows Performance Driving School and yes I sat on my cushion all the way there. Even took it to the first day of classes. The very first thing we learned was how to adjust your seat for performance driving, I never knew there was such a thing. Anyhow, they suggest tipping the bottom cushion high in the front and low in the rear plus the seat back is tilted forward (just about vertical). This provides a pocket to captivate your body. This instructor was a young lady and to say I was skeptical was an understatement. For racing I brought along my Tempur Pedic but, believe it or not, I did not need it. In fact I did not use it at all on the track and my hips did not bother me.
I thought that this may work well on the track but surely it would not work for everyday driving. I was wrong, I drove all the way back to Florida and the cushion was in the trunk.
This may not work for everyone that is uncomfortable in their SSR, but it is free. Try it for a while, don't discount it because it feels different or unusual.
Dave

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks ssrdave, I've tried the seat adjustment route without success. I had a 2012 Grand Sport and was amazed how comfortable it was on long trips, funny the variety of cars and people. I can see how adjusting the seat could make a difference on the Corvette it had a lot of variation on it. The drilling holes aspect may be a good alternative to replacing that piece with softer foam.

·
Super Moderator
13,905 Posts
I recall Greg Ducato having seat issues/opinions

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fixed

Took the r to a shop and they trimmed the stock foam down and then trimmed the leather cover to fit. Big difference, should be easy to see in the pics. Note the level of the seat compared to the seat belt latch. First pic is stock passenger seat, second is the drivers seat trimmed down.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts