Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to change the current color of the webbing for the seatbelt from black to red. Sounds easy, but I have contacted maybe close to 10 different shops, and no one will touch the job. Claims for most are stating too much of a safety issue for the state of Maryland and so on.

Okay, so I still want to change out from black to red think it will look great with the red body. Here is my ask, is this something that could be done at maybe Branson as part of a workshop? Few things, I am totally clueless when turning a wrench, usually do more damage then not, so just gave it up and saved the dollars.

I do from time to time attend the event at Maggie Valley, but so sure I can make both events due to time off from work.

Anyways, always open to other ideas too.

·
Registered
2004 UV
1,111 Posts
Like the shops that wouldn't touch it said the material used has to be certified and approved and I believe you would be opening yourself up to possible law suits if you change it and might even make it hard to resell if the buyer notices it. Probably would look nice and be different but is it worth the hassle and money, only you know that answer.

·
Premium Member
6,487 Posts
If seen people dye leather, don't know if that would be a option to dye the belts or not. You could also install a racing seat and get a harness of color of you choice.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Too many lawyers are in the mix on this one. The odds of anything negative happening are remote at best. Kinda like getting cancer from baby powder. Could something go wrong??? Yes. But it wouldn't stop me from doing it if I wanted to.

I've swapped out seat belts on a number of vehicles in the past. It's not that hard to do. And there's a boat load of good material out there. Go for it and have fun.

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,409 Posts
Might check wrecking yards for a vehicle with red seat belts and make some measurements to see if the same. Maybe another Chevy model like Impala, Yukon etc. That way the belts would be DOT Certified and still be red. Dyeing or tampering with existing belts makes them void. Another idea is the belt covers sold on this forum by one of the members.

Attachments

Reactions: Littlewing

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the answers and comments, have to think about the junk yard one. The shop in Connecticut, think I have seen them on line and was considering the purchase, but the issue is install. Don't want to set off something and screw it up.

Was looking at some of the post from Dicktator, I see how he changed out seats and looks like seat belts were disconnected but not sure......

Still is a goal, no plan resale, had this thing from day one back in early 04.

Have the seat belt covers, nice but i use them on the arm rest handle.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,644 Posts
I would check Cleveland Power & Performance 440-236-5031. They are a salvage yard that always has SSR's and a number or members use them. See if they will sell Seat Belts and just swap them out !!! I don't think is difficult at all. Hang on--others will give their opinion.

Nick

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,409 Posts
I would check Cleveland Power & Performance 440-236-5031. They are a salvage yard that always has SSR's and a number or members use them. See if they will sell Seat Belts and just swap them out !!! I don't think is difficult at all. Hang on--others will give their opinion.

Nick
The problem is he wants red and no SSR's came with red so he will have to get them from a vehicle that has red ones and they will have to bolt in similar to ours and the measurements will have to be close. Not as easy as it all sounds but doable.

Reactions: nj6969

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,644 Posts
The problem is he wants red and no SSR's came with red so he will have to get them from a vehicle that has red ones and they will have to bolt in similar to ours and the measurements will have to be close. Not as easy as it all sounds but doable.
Thanks Auggie, All I can is---duh, Senior moment :frown2:

Nick

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Have a Seamstress stitch up a red sleeve too cover the belt? Not sure it would rewind like it should, but an idea.

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,333 Posts
First problem I see is finding a factory red seat belt. I Googled Trail Blazers and SS Cobalt neither one had red interiors as an option. Second the seat belt retractor latch is going to have to be the factory one because it works with the restraint air bag system. I don't know if any of the after market ones will work with the factory retractor or if they would take yours and reweb them. Julianos would probably the best source to see if they can do it. If they say no I would toss in the towel on the idea.

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,333 Posts
I looked around and the Corvette had Red seat belts available through 08 or 09. Not sure it they mount the same or if they would swap but that maybe an option. The retractors are going to be the key part as they are part of the restraint system and work with the air bag system.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tossing in the towel, hate to say but I think that is a real possibility. But will keep my options open, still open to listening to all comments and suggestions.

We are a resourceful bunch.

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
don’t throw in towel yet. I was having a problem with my first SSR there are places on the internet who does repair on them.
I would have thought there are places to change the straps so they should have the color you want.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts