Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years ago I saw a picture of a red SSR sedan delivery, so I was wondering if anyone knows of any conversions done into a station wagon or a sedan delivery. There are some artists renderings that I've seen but seeing one for real would be interesting. Also I imagine there is quite a wide variety of opinions about this topic, any thoughts?

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,268 Posts
I have seen quite a few renderings as well and I have wanted to do this for years. It will only be a matter of time before someone does it. I would love to find a high mile R that the top is shot and I can buy it and chop it up without feeling bad about it. The best rendering I have seen is this one, Some minor things I would change but the cab back and colors are excellent!!!

You are not alone, I think there are quite a few people that like something like this. I think of it as an HHR on steroids >:)

·
ONE OWNER !!!!
2004 Smokin' Asphalt #11150
44,484 Posts
If GM would have actually offered a sedan delivery version of the SSR I would have definitely considered getting one !!!!!!! :grin2:

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,048 Posts
Looks pretty cool but defeats the whole idea of the convertible truck roadster. Might as well start with an HHR and customize from there if you want a panel truck. It would not be an SSR or Super Sport Roadster.

Roadster (automobile) - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roadster_(automobile)
A roadster is an open two-seat car with emphasis on sporting appearance or character. Initially an American term for a two-seat car with no weather protection, usage has spread internationally and has evolved to include two-seat convertible.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
I always thought this one was real too!

Another idea would be to fab up a removable one piece hard top like the old K-5 Blazers had. It would allow all kinds of options!

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wizzr hit on the idea I had, to have the top removable like the old Blazer. One of tough decisions in doing this was taking a roadster and making it into a hardtop... I've had a lot of convertibles and simply like that feeling of driving one. Thanks to ssrtruck for bringing up the Revel model. The pic of the red sedan delivery I saw was a real vehicle, if you look closely at the black and yellow one it shows it is only a rendition. I wanted to get a little feedback before I did my reveal of what I am working on. Some will hate me, some may think it's cool. That is the reason I choose the name stepchild for this forum. I'm making a woody wagon with hopefully a removable top out of wood covered with Hartz material and wood veneer on the cars side panels. The top is in clay/foam now for its design work and will be sent to a builder who does real woodies to be completed. I will post pics as it progresses. So let the comments come in, good or bad it's ok, I bought this car for this build from the start.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,392 Posts
Wizzr hit on the idea I had, to have the top removable like the old Blazer. One of tough decisions in doing this was taking a roadster and making it into a hardtop... I've had a lot of convertibles and simply like that feeling of driving one. Thanks to ssrtruck for bringing up the Revel model. The pic of the red sedan delivery I saw was a real vehicle, if you look closely at the black and yellow one it shows it is only a rendition. I wanted to get a little feedback before I did my reveal of what I am working on. Some will hate me, some may think it's cool. That is the reason I choose the name stepchild for this forum. I'm making a woody wagon with hopefully a removable top out of wood covered with Hartz material and wood veneer on the cars side panels. The top is in clay/foam now for its design work and will be sent to a builder who does real woodies to be completed. I will post pics as it progresses. So let the comments come in, good or bad it's ok, I bought this car for this build from the start.
Are You building the Woody from the 06 :blue: in your profile or from a second SSR or another vehicle?

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Reminds me of the women who finds the man of her dreams & then spends the rest of her life trying to change him into something else? If you want one as pictured above start with a wreck and not a perfectly good Chevy SSr. Remember they only made less than 25,000 of these.

Birdmans

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
If you do a fiberglass top, you could do a mold and make more. Sell some and off set your costs! I bet a lot of SSR owners would belly up for one!

Just think... a hard top van that could be reversed into our fav convertible roadster truck!

Too cool!

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fiberglass was an option for the top but the builder works with wood and I would prefer a woody to have a top from wood. Considering I am putting 25 to 30k into the customization alone I wanted a good SSR to start with and not a worn out one. The blue one I have is my one and only. If done as I want the top will easily come off to still utilize the stock top, it will simply be retracted while the wood top is in place. The wood veneer will only ruin the paint and could be taken back off by another owner and just repainted. This build will really not hurt the car, just the purists feelings. BTW other shops quotes came in as high as 100k plus making it cost prohibitive.

·
Daily Driver
8,941 Posts
The removable top like a blazer with the stock retractable top still operational for emergencies would be the only acceptable solution for me, but you're obviously building a trailer queen show piece. Good luck.

It's a shame GM didn't green light the the '99 Nomad, although if they had the SSR might not have happened.

Attachments

·
Proud Original Owner
18,187 Posts
Here is a low quality pic of the real sedan delivery I saw from years ago, don't even remember where I got this.

That is a photoshop job I did on my SSR just for fun.
I also did one with side windows, see pictures.
I like your idea of the removable top & keeping the convertible top intact.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So then a real one may not exist anywhere yet. Thanks for including the pic of the one with windows, b and c pillars are yet to be finished and this will help with ideas.

·
Proud Original Owner
18,187 Posts
So then a real one may not exist anywhere yet. Thanks for including the pic of the one with windows, b and c pillars are yet to be finished and this will help with ideas.

Good luck with your custom build!
Your mock up model looks awesome!

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
1 - 20 of 53 Posts